Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Benchtop Planer Suggestions?

Benchtop Planer Suggestions?

Greetings to all,

I've come to the conclusion that my life would be a whole bunch easier if I had a benchtop planer. Anyone particularly happy with the one they have? Any horror stories on those I should avoid?

I'd like something with blades that can be sharpened rather than just replaced.

Thanks in advance,

- Rob

Rob,
    I have the Delta 22-580 and love it. It's been a workhorse in my shop. It usually goes for about the same as all the others, but once in a while you can find it on Amazon for under $300. As for the blades, I personally love the replaceable blades. They change out in about 15 minutes total time, are double-sided so you get double use out of them, and run about $30-35 a set. I don;t know if the time, effort, and cost required for blade sharpening is worth all that. Not in my book anyway, at least not until I get a bigger planer.

Dave

planer

Ditto on the 22-580. Don't care for a lot of Delta's stuff but they hit the nail on the head with this planer. Durable, easy blade change, accurate, good dust collection,minimal snipe,etc. If something happened to mine, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. John

I don't have one, but took notice of how people praise the The Makita 2012NB.

It also supposedly runs noticably quieter than other planers in it's class (if that's important to you) (not just the first guy says it but it's a common theme throughout all the reviews.)

Even after buying a j/p, I still use the Delta 22-580. I should sell it, but it is so convenient to use. It is a great tool!

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Rob, here are links to, in order, Makita, Woodtek, Delta, and Steel City. The Makita is a 12"; the others are 13".

http://pro.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=115-946 - $512.99/39.99

http://pro.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=108-722 - $349.99/42.49

http://pro.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...PARTNUM=22-580 - $429.00/53.99

http://pro.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=040-200 - $419.99/55.99

All of these have flip-down infeed and outfeed tables, while some other brands don't.

If I were in the market, I would just compare the specs and buy what best fits the wallet. My preferences would be, in order, Woodtek, Steel City, Delta, Makita.

Just my 1.98.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    Rob, here are links to, in order, Makita, Woodtek, Delta, and Steel City. The Makita is a 12"; the others are 13".

http://pro.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=115-946 - $512.99/39.99

http://pro.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=108-722 - $349.99/42.49

http://pro.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...PARTNUM=22-580 - $429.00/53.99

http://pro.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=040-200 - $419.99/55.99

All of these have flip-down infeed and outfeed tables, while some other brands don't.

If I were in the market, I would just compare the specs and buy what best fits the wallet. My preferences would be, in order, Woodtek, Steel City, Delta, Makita.

Just my 1.98.

Nancy
    Right now, Amazon has the Delta for $399 and free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mutus View Post
    I don't have one, but took notice of how people praise the The Makita 2012NB.

It also supposedly runs noticably quieter than other planers in it's class (if that's important to you) (not just the first guy says it but it's a common theme throughout all the reviews.)
    It's all true, I love mine... but I will be selling it soon
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

I have the makita as well. I like mine too. Leaves a nice clean finish. Haven't changed the blades yet, but I have heard that they are a "breeze".

I've worked a Ryobi AP 10 hard since 1986 with no problems. The blades are resharpenable and still available. Used AP 10's can still be found.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ballent View Post
    It's all true, I love mine... but I will be selling it soon
    1) what are you getting instead?

2) how much are you selling it for?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mutus View Post
    1) what are you getting instead?

2) how much are you selling it for?
    I have been out of the WW game for a while so I will not be replacing it with anything, and I am researching a fair price for it and the other equipment that I will selling (BS,Jointer, Scroll Saw). The SawStop is not going anywhere though, nor any of the Festool. I will be contributing the SMC so I can post in the classified section. Would rather sell here than Craigslist, newspaper etc.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

I also have a Ryobi AP 10 that I bought well used from a woodworker neighbor
    when he upgraded to a DeWalt.

For all the bad press that Ryobi gets, I don't think it applies to this machine. The blades are re-sharpenable, in fact I don't even know if a replaceable blade conversion is available. He always sent his out for sharpening, but I have a Tormek that works out quite well.

I don't know of any new lunch box planers that use resharpenable blades, but this one does, as does my neighbors DeWalt. The advantages of the DeWalt are better dust collection, reduced snipe and two inches greater width.

I do my planing outside and never get boards even near the 10 inch width. If I am careful setting up my infeed and outfeed tables, the snipe is virtually eliminated.

Rob - I bought a Portable Planer last year out of job site need - I looked at everything and bought the DeWalt 735 - Its is a great thickness planer - It has moved from job to job and still works great - Twin speed, really easy blade changes with the tool you need to remove the cover and the blades mounted right in the top, and easy to set thickness gauge that so far has been pretty accurate - I own a PM 20" Planer for the shop - If your looking to get the same results from a portable planer that you get from a stationary one I do not know of a portable machine that could give me the same results as my shop planer

I just did a lot of research on this recently and bought a DW734.

The DW735 (which I didn't buy) seems to have been everyone's favorite for several years. It is more expensive, though, and more importantly (to me right now) it is on the heavy side. (The 734 weighs 15-20 pounds less, which matters.)

The FWW Shops & Tools (is that the right title?) issue on the newstands right now has an article on these. It might be useful reading.

I'm getting very good results from my 734 and am very pleased with the price and its performance. Heads-up: you can find some of these machines for sale as factory refurbs for significant savings.