Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laguna, just a rant

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard View Post
    I'd suggest you send them an e-mail with a link to this thread !!!!
    Doesn't seem to do all that much good. Go on the Knots forum and search for posts from member Catherine_Helshoj_Laguna. There's only one. That particular thread is pretty scary just from the sheer number of CS issues raised by posters and the apparent ease with which the owners seem to think the issues are all addressed.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Doesn't seem to do all that much good. Go on the Knots forum and search for posts from member Catherine_Helshoj_Laguna. There's only one. That particular thread is pretty scary just from the sheer number of CS issues raised by posters and the apparent ease with which the owners seem to think the issues are all addressed.
    Well, if a tool manufacturer is not concerned about a thread like this (knowing how fast information and reputations circulate on the Internet) they are IMHO, worthless !!
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I cannot post a direct complaint against any of my Luguna tools as I don't have any. When shopping a BS over a year ago... they were high on my list of probables. I called and spoke to a salesman for about 45 minutes as I know machines relatively well and I "drilled" him with questions.

He did answer every one and "bad mouthed" the competitor when I mentioned their machine had this or that. He flat out lied in some cases as I knew the competitors machine well. I felt he felt I was another country bumpkin from the south without any prior knowledge of how a BS should operate.

I did ask for brochures of the machine be sent as I felt the machine still warranted consideration even though I was not impressed with the manner I was dealt with. Then I called MM to check into their machine as I have been over both Laguna and MM at the WW shows..

The response I got was over-whelming.. every question answered to a T and not one reference to the competitors machine. If I mentioned the competitor attempting to see if he would "bad mouth" it.. he would inter-ject that he didn't have to do so... Just compare the machines. And that's what I wanted to hear.

Even though I did cancel the deposit as I found everything I required (I don't necessarily need 16" re-saw as I am not a turner) in the Steel City 18" at half the price... I was very impressed with several phone conversations to MM. BTW.. when I requested brochures for the MM machine... I got them 4 days latter but Eric e-mailed pictures of the MM 16 and E-16 (?) within 10 minutes even though I didn't request those. About 20 pictures total with close-ups of every angle of components and angles you can imagine...

And in their defense.... I did recieve the brochure from Laguna 6 months after the request. Or perhaps it was just a random mailing as I am on quite a few mailing list concerning WW? I don't know and really don't care at this point as regardless of how good the machine that comes from over there... I feel it's only as good as the support and spare parts that gets to me from over here.

Good luck as I feel you'll need it and I am glad some have found satisfaction in their puchase. I am just not one of those that found satisfaction of my attemped purchase.

Sarge..

4. The Power of Positive Feedback

I am finding this thread fascinating as I just happen to be buying a large BS at this time.
    I have called Laguna and still have not had a response back, could be the holidays but I doubt it. I called MM and had a GREAT experience and a mailed brochure in two days. Sam was honest, did not bad mouth and offered several options. Pleasure to speak with. Grizzly has been the same way as MM. They act as if they truly want my business. I do not care how nice of a piece of equipment is, if you cannot get it serviced it's a very expensive paper weight.
    I know 2 grand is not much for large companies, but for me it is, and if you add up the purchasing power of just this community alone I would believe it to be significant.
    If Laguna p'shaw's the likes of woodworkers just at this site alone, I will just keep on walking...
    "Simplicity is at the heart of so much that is fine"
    James Krenov

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    I had the impression that Laguna doesn't even have a parts inventory in the USA.

Their sales geek admitted to me (I consider it an admission and an admission is always about something bad) that they don't have any technical people in the USA.

What you might do is contact their Italian manufacturer. Probably faster easier cleaner.
    Well - I can attest that this is not true because I have spoken with a tech person at Laguna on resolving a starting issue with a lathe. I have also ordered parts from them and they do carry inventory (at least what I needed).

I have a hunch that Laguna will not be around all that much longer. I was talking to some vendors at a ww show and was told they may be hurting. They used to have no competition. Now they have a ton of direct competition. Their customer service and reputation are horrible. With a weak dollar and an economy on the brink of recession I would not be suprised if they called it quits just like Wilkes.

Dan

You are correct Steve, all the techs are right here in Irvine, CA USA.

Laguna has a good size warehouse with a lot of parts, been there many times and I get most of what I need. Again right here in Irvine, CA USA.

Some parts on my older TS had to be ordered and yes it took 8 weeks to get them. We even dug through the warehouse and found some parts to get me by.

Also more incorrect info the machines, they come from Bulgaria except the new signature line and the saw blades...

Blog Entries
    |Well, I decided to call Laguna and tell them that I was looking at their bandsaw. But when I saw that they hadn't taken care of such a basic issue for a customer that had been in touch with them so many times. I said I'd be looking at other products that offered better customer service. I also said they might want to look at SMC and address this issue asap. I hope this gets them off their duffs and gets this handled for you.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Laguna

My next large purchase will be a band saw. I don't see Laguna occupying that spot. It just seems so odd that a company chooses to blow off their customers with such a cavalier attitude. Maybe somebody should tell Laguna about the internet!

I have seen people post who have had great customer service experiences with Laguna. All I can say is that mine was way less than great.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

It's been my expereince that when a company is not responsive before they get your money things only go downhill after they get your money.

The only thing I can think of is that they exist in the world as it existed 30 years ago when there was no contact between customers and potential customers. In this age of the internet and forums you have to be on your toes. One employee dropping the ball and one customer posting about it could cost you a dozen sales.

If I had bought a new tool and couldn't use t for months for lack of a part (even if I screwed up the part) I'd be hot.

Maybe they do read these posts!

Hello everyone, seems the issue may be resolved, they called me up yesterday and told me they'd take a part off an existing saw and ship it to me ASAP. I'll believe it when I see it! I'll let you know when it comes in. Maybe even post a picture of it!!
    PS I guess I'd better order replacement guides now so I'll have them before the original ones wear out (he says with dripping sarcasm!).
    AH CRAP, I should've measured twice.

Wow, everyone is jumping on Marc's bandwagon without knowing very much at all.

Marc, what kind of time frame are we talking about here? "Many phone calls" could be in a short amount of time so please elaborate. What did they tell you? Is the part on order and were you told how long it would take to get it? I see you are in Canada, how long does it typically take to get things shipped to you there? I also see that you posted this on the 27th and with the holidays it could delay things, when did you first call them to order the part?

Before the posse get's ready for a hangin they should maybe ask about the facts.

Richard, he stated - or at least implied - that this took place last October. Seems like plenty of time to get a response from Laguna. If you have a different experience, then by all means share it. But to defend the company by "questioning" the OP and followers then you have put yourself into the same position against which you are warning. Just my thought.

I don't own any "high-price" tools because I am just a hobbyist. So I can't comment on Laguna at all. Hopefully, Marc, your situation gets resolved sooner rather than later.

Brad,
    My bad, after rereading it you are correct about the implied time frame. I am not defending the company at all and questioning something posted shouldn't be taken as choosing sides. I am not assuming anything here and would like to know more before I form an opinion one way or another. Therer are always two sides to every story but we usually only get one side on these forums and I don't automatically side with the poster without ample information.