Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Project: Purple Heart and Figured Maple Night Stands (Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacArthur View Post
    BI also find that I'm being drawn more and more to contrasting woods and cleaner lines... I used to think I liked "traditional" furniture, but these pieces are pretty much in line with my current taste.
    One of the nice things about Shaker, Mission and "combinations" of the same is that the simplicity goes with almost anything. When we intend to live with things like furniture long term, making it work as tastes and decorating trends move along is a good thing. If you have a basic table, for example, you can easily change the whole look by changing the lamp and other things in the area around it that are generally easy and cost-effective to adjust. These styles also work well in most home designs, too. Even in very, very "modern" environments.

As you bring up, changing the material without changing the design can also result in a very different effect. These tables are clearly Shaker design in origin, but have a much more modern feel due to the stark contrast between the purpleheart and the "natural" light maple. The same table in cherry and maple would be toned down a little, but still "eye catching". The same table in just cherry would work very well, yet recede into the background more. Think about doing it in just curly maple...

But there are also some things to be careful with. I would not enjoy this piece as much in QS white oak. For me, that material choice needs more weight to the piece...these are too delicate, IMHO.

My natural inclination will always be to cherry, maple and walnut as these domestic species really do well with the more delicate nature of Shaker styles and similar. Again, IMHO. But it sure was nice to experiment with these night stands given I had the material in the rack.

I was just thinking this morning about what to do with the last slab of purpleheart I have from my friend Ed. I may make a matching piece to these nightstands for the bedroom using it for the top (resawn/bookmatched) and curly maple for the rest of the structure...the exact opposite of the nightstands, but pulling through the same materials and style. That piece would serve for both some storage as well as a home for the AV gear necessary to supply media to the 30" flat screen that's moving to the master suite as soon as we move into the addition. (a bigger one replaces it in the new media room)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Beautiful work Jim. I love the contrasting woods and think the design is very nice. Did you rub them out or is the finish right off the gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    Did you rub them out or is the finish right off the gun?
    Off the gun with wax applied with a white pad. I'm not 100% pleased with my finish on the tops, but it will not be noticeable in use. Kinda a "refinement" thing...
    --

Jim, are you going to post pics when the tables have had finish applied. I am very interested to see your detailed steps in finishing those babies. I am just finishing a curly maple and purpleheart jewelry box myself, and trying to see what finish I like.

Quote Originally Posted by James Sweeney View Post
    Jim, are you going to post pics when the tables have had finish applied. I am very interested to see your detailed steps in finishing those babies. I am just finishing a curly maple and purpleheart jewelry box myself, and trying to see what finish I like.
    If you are speaking about pictures of when I was actually doing the finishing work, no...I didn't take any. Spraying finish doesn't photograph all that well... The final pictures in post 42 show the piece with the finish completed.
    --

No, I was just looking for a pick of the finished product. I saw it now finally in post 42. Sorry. They look great! I really like the combination. Thanks for sharing!