Thread: HELP! w/Delta 22-580 Thickness planer

HELP! w/Delta 22-580 Thickness planer

I have a virtually brand new 22-580 thickness planer that won't reliably feed. Whatever I am running through it just stops moving. The cutter head doesn't change pitch so I'm not slowing it down. I've tried changing depth of cut, etc. but no change. Wood will even stop feeding on a second pass at the same depth, i.e. not removing anymore material at all. Is there a way to adjust the feed rollers? I could find one in the manual.

As usual I'm under the gun to finish a project as a late Christmas present tomorrow night.

Mike,

I don't have that planer, I've got the Dewalt 733. Had something like that happen to me, I think. First, I assume the rollers are turning still - don't stick your hand under to find out .

I had the problem using it in cold weather. Seems like the rubber of the rollers hardened with the cold and sort of glazed over and wouldn't grip the wood. It's also possible that they are dusty and not gripping. Try cleaning with denatured alcohol to at least make sure the rubber is in contact with the wood.

Good luck,

Dave

- Try cleaning the rollers and waxing the bed and tables (someone can correct me but if my memory serves me correct clean with alcohol??)
    - make sure there is no dust on the wood prior to placing it inside the planer. I've found that a dusty piece can cause the feed rollers to lose traction.
    - Lighten up on the depth of cut as well.

I'm sure there is more to do but this list is just off the top of my head.

Mike

I have the older Delta 22-540, I had the same problem last year. I was about to order a new set of rollers when a helpful Sawmill creek member told me the same thing that Dave & Peter just said. Clean the rollers, I used paint thinner and you wouldn't believe the difference it made. It made such a huge difference I thought I had a new planer. It was also pretty cold the day it quit feeding, maybe the resin hardens when at lower temperatures.

I had previously planed alot of pine and the rollers were coated with resin. I couldn't see the resin but I could feel the difference on the roller after cleaning.

Thanks for the responses gentlemen. I ran over to Woodcraft as they have a couple of real knowledgable (sp) people over there. The head guru and a curious but helpful fellow customer, both said Wax the infeed, outfeed and center tables. I bought a can of top coat (WOW $$$) as that would be very quick. Boy, do I feel silly. Wood now flies through the planer. Note to self, lube EVERYTHING.

Thanks again,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike wacker View Post
    Note to self, lube EVERYTHING.

Mike

Hey, that's good advise for a lot of things

ehem ehem like table saw tables, jointer beds, yada yada yada

Mike,
    I've come across another thing to check when the feed rollers don't seem to work. Make sure the speed switch is fully moved over to whichever speed you want to use. I found that sometimes if you don't make sure it is completely engaged, the rollers don't seem work. Giving the switch an extra push that direction can often ensure the rollers are engaged. Not always a problem, but it has happened to me on a couple occasions.

Dave