Thread: HF Brand Dust Collector Canister Filter

HF Brand Dust Collector Canister Filter

I am considering the Harbor Freight dust collector and also the HF brand canister filter. I know people like the Wynn canister. I want to know about the Harbor Freight brand canister. Is it paper or poly? Is the quality good?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94278

Does anybody have comments about this canister filter, good or bad ?

HF Filter

Hey - that's a new one - didn't know HF was offering a kit. So... I can't give any advice, but can say I like my Wynn.

I bought the Poly (had a paper before). I think the Wynn is a little lower cost as well.

Yes the Wynn is less money, but I like the look of the HF canister. I dont like the smaller Wynn canister on the larger base. I know...whatever but thats what I want.

I have the Wynn canister version on my HF DC.
    Not sure how the HF one works but I suppose it should be OK.
    Sure is a lot more money and is only 1 micron compared to the Wynn paper is .5 microns.
    Not sure as to what you mean by the size - The Wynn looks pretty close to the HF one.
    Wynn is a pretty reputable dealer, not sure on who makes the HF canister. Let us know. The HP does have a flapper built in though...

Yea... thats not bad. This is what I was talking about. I just didnt like the look. Im sure the operation is fine.
    http://www.wynnenv.com/Baker%20HF%20Unit.jpg

And Im dealing with height restrictions, so I like the shorter, fatter filters.

Thought you might have been looking at the original design - (you are right it is quite ugly). The flapper on the HF might be a plus but I have not had any plugging problems with the Wynn as of yet. If I do, I will take it outside and blow it out with a wet-vac.
    Last edited by Greg McCallister; 12-28-2007 at 4:56 PM.

Look at the link that Greg gave you, that is the larger canister like the HF version. I am amazed that HF is smart enough to realize that there is a market for this. However, I think there version is quite pricey when compared to the Wynn and they look the same.

I have read that the flapper beater (the arm on the HF) will degrade the filter and that it is better to use compressed air at around 30 psi to blow the dust out of the filter and into the lower collection bag when changing the lower bag out.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Blog Entries
    I have been wondering about the HF Canister Conversion Kit for quite some time now myself.

I have asked on several other forums and get the same responce about the Whynn filters, Blah Blah Blah.

To me they just dont fit right or look right.

Neither of the ones shown here fit the HF DC well. IMO

HF has offerd this kit for a sometime now so I'm surprized someone hasnt tried it out yet.

I keep meaning to order it but it hasnt been high on my list of tools yet.

I upgraded my HF DC to a 1 micron 6 foot tall felt bag from Rockler, when my local store had them on clearance for a mere $5.00, its huge but is the correct diamiter.
    I use the large black plastic contractor bags on the bottom. I'd like clear ones but for 6-8 bucks for a box of 20 on sale ,it's hard to shell out more cash just to SEE inside the bottom bags.

I really do like the nice neat look and fit and finish of the HF kit , And no need to "RIG" it to fit nicely nor make your own flappers for inside it.

I guess i'd rather be making projects than have to Make something else"fit"it.

1 Micron is pretty darn small and once it gets broken in with use not much is going to escape it.

The problem I see with using incorrect filters and having to take them off to either bang them or blow them out is you have defeated the purpose of the filter in the first place, and by doing so, have exposed yourself to years of breathing in fine dust with just one blast of compressed air out in your driveway in a matter of minutes.

Have you tried calling HF CS Dept. and asking for more details about the filter itself ? Can you order JUST a replacement filter once you have the kit, and at what cost ?

I'm curious to know myself as one of these days I too plan on ordering it.

If you do look into it further please let me know. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Norris View Post
    I am considering the Harbor Freight dust collector and also the HF brand canister filter. I know people like the Wynn canister. I want to know about the Harbor Freight brand canister. Is it paper or poly? Is the quality good?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94278

Does anybody have comments about this canister filter, good or bad ?
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hubl View Post
    To me they just dont fit right or look right.
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the Wynn doesn't look like it fits right? I have the Wynn 35A poly filter and it fits perfectly on the HF DC-solid as can be and no leaks at all. Yes, it is slightly smaller in diameter than the ring but that is cosmetic and doesn't affect how it fits or its performance.

For the OP, I've been reasonably pleased with my HF DC/Wynn combo, but then I bought the DC dirt cheap when it was on sale and I had an additional 25% off coupon. If I were buying a DC today, at today's prices, the HF DC would not be on my list for consideration. For about the same price, or less, than the HF DC and HF canister filter, one can pick up the Delta 50-760 at Amazon ($349 with free shipping). If you are interested in performance more that the looks of a cartridge filter, it is a much better DC than what you will ever get with the HF DC, regardless of what filter you put on it.

Blog Entries

HF 2hp DC on sale for $160

That's a pretty good price for a DC if that size is what you want. Normally, they are around $250 or so... That is the internet price and the store will match if they are in stock. THe stores have it on sale for $170. more.

Usually, the cannister upgrade kit goes on sale a little while after ( a couple of months) the DC sale. The last time the kit went for $70.00

g
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

HF has filter cleaner gadget

from the picture it looks like the HF isn't just the filter cannister, looks like it has the apparatus to turn the filter cleaner. that appears to account for the price difference. We would all like to know if this is paper (probably) or washable filter. Ray

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the Wynn doesn't look like it fits right? I have the Wynn 35A poly filter and it fits perfectly on the HF DC-solid as can be and no leaks at all. Yes, it is slightly smaller in diameter than the ring but that is cosmetic and doesn't affect how it fits or its performance.

For the OP, I've been reasonably pleased with my HF DC/Wynn combo, but then I bought the DC dirt cheap when it was on sale and I had an additional 25% off coupon. If I were buying a DC today, at today's prices, the HF DC would not be on my list for consideration. For about the same price, or less, than the HF DC and HF canister filter, one can pick up the Delta 50-760 at Amazon ($349 with free shipping). If you are interested in performance more that the looks of a cartridge filter, it is a much better DC than what you will ever get with the HF DC, regardless of what filter you put on it.
    " Yes, it is slightly smaller in diameter than the ring but that is cosmetic and doesn't affect how it fits or its performance."

That is exactly what I mean, it may only be cosmetic , but it still would bug me that it didnt fit well.

This is a complete "kit" that fits the diamiter correctly, attaches like the JETs cannister filters , look at the white painted metal ring with the 4 black knobs to screw it on, just like a Jet DC set up I was looking at at Rockler. The flappers are included so no need to jerry rig something up to make them.

Alot of people use the wynn filters and are happy, I on the other hand would not be unless it also fit cosmedically well.

If the filter is of good quality and all the other misilanious(sp) parts that make up the "kit" are provided, I think its not to out of line pricewise for the time youd spend hunting up the parts and making flappers on your own.

I have never seen the Kit on sale itself but if you used a 15% or the rare 25%? off coupon HF often has out there would bring it's cost down even more.
    If I got one i'd still be under $320.00 total for it and the DC that was bought last year on sale plus the added use of a coupon.

Lets face it there are plenty of better DC units out there but also at a much higher cost too.

The HF DC with that cannister "kit" and using 5" grey elecrical pvc conduit for your runs with 4" drops and some JDS Dust-Gates (Automatic Blast Gate System), Picked up at my local Rockler that is closing for 40% off, I bought 2 starter kits one for 110 volts for DC's at 1 1/2 HP to use now, and one for 220 volts for DC's up to 3 HP to use if and when I upgrade my DC and I bought 2 of the Expansion packs that have 2 blast gates each with 100 ft. of wire and connectors. 6 automatic blast gates total. Used with the Delta triangular shaped air filter with lights above TS ($50.00 at Lowes on clearance) and the JET AFS 1000B air filtration system with remote hanging up much higher in the rafters, plus my double filterd down draft table should make for a decent home hobbiest 22'x24' woodshop DC "system".
    Not perfect, but neither are $2500.00 and up systems. I have seen plenty of commecial woodworking shops laden with dust everywhere, and they have huge systems in place.

I also use the TREND Airshield battery powered respirator for woodturning and sanding projects.

Sorry for the long post, I guess I got myself caught up in my own DC discussion. LOL
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.