Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Yankee Workshop 20th season

New Yankee Workshop 20th season

The 1st 9 shows of the upcoming season are dedicated to building a kitchen out of your shop, or what Norm calls a moderately equipped shop. The series is called the Dream Kitchen Project. There is a video by Norm giving a preview on the link below. Some of the projects looked interesting.

http://www.newyankee.com

Looking forward to seeing those shows. Although his "moderately equipped" shop is probably better than mine, I still like to see his work.

You can see the end result in the new February 2008 issue of Fine Woodworking...Norm is on the cover and the subject is the kitchen...and some tips about building one.

I think that this new season is noteworthy in that it will show a much larger project in an extended time frame. That will be useful to many who might contemplate a similar, large-scale project, like their own kitchen.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Cool

Hey Jim, Norm should have gotten some pointers on his kitchen from you.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I hope Norm continues his show until he is 80 years young. Maybe he can rename his show " Old Yankee Workshop for Seniors" Or maybe "Grumpy old Woodworker"

Gary

Cool

I'm with you on that one Gary. His shows are great for people like me, but I know there are some that think his work is too simple or that he uses too many machines.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

I'm a big Norm fan. I'd done some part-time construction work for a neighbor who was a building contractor but no real woodworking. TOH and the New Yankee Workshop got me interested in woodworking, furniture making and yes...turning.

David Marks is another good ww'er but I can't see his shows on a regular basis.

Each has their own niche and both are craftsman in their own right. Both have contributed to increasing the popularity of ww and educated this old guy.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bullock View Post
    Hey Jim, Norm should have gotten some pointers on his kitchen from you.
    Norm would cringe at my kitchen. Design is good, but execution is marginal, IMHO. I've learned a lot since then, but continue to experience "hard lessons"...as it were...

I need to get back to watching NYW. May have to spring for a DVR to accomplish that, however, as the local time slot is inconvenient due to the girlie-girls' Saturday YMCA activities.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, Sounds like you need an early Fathers day gift!
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    May have to spring for a DVR to accomplish that, however, as the local time slot is inconvenient due to the girlie-girls' Saturday YMCA activities.
    I'm in a similar position,Jim. My local PBS station shows NYW at 4:00 PM on Saturdays. I'm never near the TV at that time.

One of my coworkers had very good results using his home PC as a DVR. My PC is so old I'd have to buy a new one to even consider making it DVR capable. And that's more expensive than buying a DVR.

Jim,

I'm shocked to learn that you don't have a DVR! I would have expected one in the house and one in the shop.

Seriously, I just invested in the "new" technology a couple of months ago and can attest to the fact that it really changes your TV viewing. No more commercials! Unless you want to watch the news "live", of course. I rarely watch anything when it first shows except news and sports.

But remember you also have to pay for the monthly service.

We have two Tivos and love it. Another option is BeyondTV, which doesnt have a monthly fee.

Ted

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ...I need to get back to watching NYW. May have to spring for a DVR to accomplish that, however, as the local time slot is inconvenient due to the girlie-girls' Saturday YMCA activities.
    I talked SWMBO into a DVR so that she could record all the times Barry Manilow was on TV. That way it didn't come out of my "shop" budget.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

-- Edward John Phelps

I have 3 DVR's and rarely ever watch live tv. I have even recorded football games and watched them in just over an hour! It would be nice if they would automatically skip the commericals when recording.

I record the wood shows then go through them, culling the commercials while ignoring [] the contents on the show. To my regret, recorder burped and missed the two weekends before Christmas. Today I did record David Marks using a pneumatic pin nailer ; later Norm was tucking neat fabric folds on a nice window bench. Really laughed when it seemed he wanted to rip the filthy, nasty old upholstery fabric from the museum grade, orginal window bench. Another classy piece on NYW.