Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Grizzly 10in Contractor saw with riving knife!

Scott and Steve, thanks for the feedback.

Steve, pardon my ignorance but what is the dual/single cursor?

One other question: Since the fence doesn't have t-slots, how do you attach a auxiliary or sacrificial fence?

Since you said 6 to 8 weeks, I decided to go ahead and order so as not to delay arrival even more, so I placed my order today (3/1/08) and got a shipping date of July 4. Aaarrgh! I had called a few weeks ago and they said I could be first on list, but nooooo, not me. I wanted to research it some more. In hind sight, I should have ordered then when they were promising shipping on 4/11/08.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Steve, pardon my ignorance but what is the dual/single cursor?
    A dual cursor I believe (never used one so equipped) allows two scales, one for a right-of-blade and the other for left-of-blade measurement. Not a big deal or a show-stopper IMO.

One other question: Since the fence doesn't have t-slots, how do you attach a auxiliary or sacrificial fence?
    Good question, and one that I face with the saw that I just ordered - not the Grizzly (see below).

Since you said 6 to 8 weeks, I decided to go ahead and order so as not to delay arrival even more, so I placed my order today (3/1/08) and got a shipping date of July 4. Aaarrgh! I had called a few weeks ago and they said I could be first on list, but nooooo, not me. I wanted to research it some more. In hind sight, I should have ordered then when they were promising shipping on 4/11/08.
    Don't feel like the lone ranger, Jim - I just went through the same frustration. Ordered Thursday and got the same mid-summer bad news. Sounds like the April shipment is all sold out, so now they're committing from the second shipment. I think anyone offering a modestly-priced riving-knife equipped saw at this point might be finding themselves in a similar situation. I think demand might outstrip supply for awhile before there's enough alternatives available from Steel City, Jet, Delta, General etc. etc.

Not wanting to wait that long, I went with the next-higher priced unit and ordered a Jet Deluxe XACTA saw today after canceling my Grizzly order. We're talking a $700 premium over the G0661, but if I want a riving knife (and I really do)....
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

RE: New Grizzly 10in Contractor saw with riving knife!

I just called Grizzly yesterday and they said it will be 4-6 weeks before they get the saw in. He made me believe that the saws have never come in yet. Does anyone own one of these? Seems strange, if true, that the Feb 08 availability is stretched out to Sep. or beyond??

Thanks,
    Jim

I had every intention of buying one of these (the G0661) back in February. At the time I was researching the saw they were quoting delivery some time in April. However, I decided to go another (but more expensive) route when they told me at the time I finally ordered mine (on March 1st) that they wouldn't be able to ship until July. My assumption was that everything coming in on the April shipment was spoken for. Perhaps there were delays and the April shipment never happened.

I have yet to see or hear of anyone that has yet taken delivery.

Too bad, 'cause it looks like a really, really nice saw.
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

I almost went for this but had questions about the fence. I went with the Jet Proshop. The Griz looks effectively like a hybrid

I was going to get the Proshop as well, but on Sep 1st Jet raised the price from $809 to $999. But wait, they offer a generous $50 rebate. Just swell. That's quite a hefty increase in my book. Now I'm wondering if the G0661 will really be $725 plus shipping when (if) it comes in.

Thumbs down grizzly G09661 and My 4th woodshop

Several big power tools and the Grizzly is the best. Started out with Craftsman, like many of us have, then Delta, then upper brands and, finally the Griz! I have the G0661 and the bugger is dead accurate out of the box. Always wanted a cabinet saw and now I have one; don't know what they want to call this thing but it is indeed a cabinet saw with contractor base. Unbelieveably heavy and well built. Very, very, very accurate cuts. Fence is dead on. Used to own a Beismeiyer at $450 with all the goodies on a Craftsman and it wouldn't measure up. My wife works for a woodworker's supply company and got the Bies for me with extended fence rails. Don't even have a Forrest blade on it yet...

Thumbs down grizzly G09661 and My 4th woodshop

Several big power tools and the Grizzly is the best. Started out with Craftsman, like many of us have, then Delta, then upper brands and, finally the Griz! I have the G0661 and the bugger is dead accurate out of the box. Always wanted a cabinet saw and now I have one; don't know what they want to call this thing but it is indeed a cabinet saw with contractor base. Unbelieveably heavy and well built. Very, very, very accurate cuts. Fence is dead on. Used to own a Beismeiyer at $450 with all the goodies on a Craftsman and it wouldn't measure up. My wife works for a woodworker's supply company and got the Bies for me with extended fence rails. Don't even have a Forrest blade on it yet...

Unhappy

I asked Grizzly today about the G0661 AND the G0691 (the larger cabinet saw) and they told me that both are back-ordered until at least August. They do have last year's model with a riving knife in stock - the G0651, but it's $500 more than this year's model. I couldn't find any real significant difference between them though, other than the price - Anyone know what the difference is?

The back-order problem is rather frustrating to me. I'm in the market for a saw NOW, not 4 months from now. I like Sawstop's new cabinet saw, but they aren't on the market yet, and seem ridiculously overpriced.

I went to the Woodworking Shows in Seattle last Friday and looked at a bunch of saws and I have to say that I'm disappointed in the interest level of the sales guys. Almost all of them were less than interested in really telling me about the features of their saws. The only exception was the guy from General, who took time to demo the saw and answer questions for me. Everyone else seemed more interested in chatting with the other sales reps and could barely be bothered to hand me a sales flyer. And it was still early on the first day of the show - they hadn't even had time to get tired out yet!

So what's up, all you manufacturer's reps out there? Why the lack of interest in selling your product. For Grizzly, why are you so far behind on orders? (Someone else posted a while back that Grizzly seems to be back-ordered on most of their machines). I'm in the market to buy a tablesaw with a good riving knife- preferably a 3 hp cabinet saw. I have the money and I'm ready to buy - why does it seem so difficult to find a dealer/manufacturer who wants my business?

looks like you were dealing with bottom of the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    Listed (barely) on their site now:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0661

With more info in their catalog link here:

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/17
    That first link states the saw weighs 342 lbs.

Dave,

I had the same experience in VA show. Not sure if it's burn out because if your referring to the WW show, it's on the tail end of the circuit.

The sales guys need a big awakening! or company employee's. I speak from experience because I did the job they have for over 15yrs. Not in the woodworking industry but one similar in customer make up. Trade shows are tough, long and can be stressful. But if your not into talking to people when they walk on your carpet, go home! because you do worse by chatting with your co workers and ignoring potential $$ coming your way.

Educating a customer is selling a customer. Woodworkers enjoy to be educated which turn into sales.

Not to hijack your thread either.... I was looking at new saws as well and came home with a bad impression.

I looked at the new Delta table saw... Yep, it was there... got to touch it... did I tell you it was there...

Glad we have SMC!

-Peter
    Last edited by Peter Elliott; 04-23-2009 at 10:30 AM.