Thread: Climbing the Plane Learning Curve with Books and DVDs

Climbing the Plane Learning Curve with Books and DVDs

In a follow-up to a previous thread.....I would like to find a source for learning the use of planes. What books (does Taunton Press publish anything along these lines?) or DVDs would you recommend for a neophyte such as myself? Different types of planes, their uses, sharpening, setting them up, etc etc.

Anyone familiar with David Charlesworth's DVDs? Woodcraft has a couple that might be appropriate for me.

http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?fam...e=details#tabs

Thanks.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Consider Chris Schwarz's Coarse, Medium, Fine:Fundamental Woodworking Techniques DVD.

Third one down on LN's web site:
    http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1320

His Building Furniture with Hand Planes could be considered as well.
    http://www.lostartpress.com/product/...fe831b676.aspx

Take care, Mike

Also of course Garret Hack's book on handplanes as well. Worth it's weight in woodchips.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

Blog Entries
    I have all of (or almost all) Chris Schwarz's, Rob Cosman's, and David Charlesworth's videos. I think they are all great and all three teach techniques slightly different. This allows you to get different perspectives which really helped me.

I found Craftsman Studio has the best prices and free shipping (at least when I got them).

As to where to start, Chris's Coarse Medium Fine.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

I strongly recommend Jim Kingshott's series of videos. I recently heard they're being reissued on dvd.

Pam

I have to agree with Mike W on both DCD's of Chris Schwarz. I just finished watching both of them and they are packed with good info. I hope to make a 2nd pass at each before the long weekend is up.

Planecraft is the book. It will tell you what each plane is used for bench and special purpose. It goes over all the parts of a plane. Sharpening is covered etc. You should buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Niedermayer View Post
    I strongly recommend Jim Kingshott's series of videos. I recently heard they're being reissued on dvd.

Pam
    Pam is correct.
    They are available through Fox Chapel Publishing.
    www.FoxChapelPublishing.com

I have just watched his first DVD on Bench planes and it is outstanding..
    There is another on Special Planes which covers rebate, grooving, moulding, hollows and rounds, filisters, shoulder planes, mitre planes, compass planes, and spokeshaves.
    Jim Kingshott was a national treasure.
    He passed away on February 25, 2002, at the age 70, but his skill and knowledge are legendary.
    Regards
    MC

Of course my favorite is The Wooden Plane: Its History, Form & Function by Whelan.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

I think the 'New Best of FWW' has some good information on handplanes. It is a compilation of various articles and has input from different authors.

Tom

Glen,

I just picked up a great book called Hand Tool Essentials from the editors of Popular Woodworking Magazine. It contains 43 great chapters from Chris Schwarz, David Charlesworth, Frank Klausz, Lonnie Bird, and others.

It starts with what tools to buy with your first $100, how to buy and rehab old planes, 9 chapters on sharpening (e.g., Charlesworth on the ruler trick), 10 chapters on planes (starting with descriptions of the various categories, then planing techniques, and ending with the various exotic custom planes), 5 chapters on saws, 5 on chisels, 7 on other hand tools, and 4 on projects for hand tools.

I've really enjoiyed it.
    Last edited by Danny Thompson; 12-30-2007 at 10:59 PM.