Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pics of Newbie Projects

Blog Entries

Pics of Newbie Projects

I've recently bought my first lathe. Based on the recommendations here, I got the Jet 1220 and the HF tools (pics to prove and satisfy the police below). I also bought Alan Lacer's Skew videos, Bill Grumbine's bowl video, and Richard Raffan's Box video.

With the knowledge gained from these videos, I have released the inner toothpick hiding inside many larger pieces of wood. But only have a few ideas (from the videos) on what else to do.

This thread is to allow everyone to post their pictures of what they consider a good project for a newbie-style spindle work. I only have the lathe, those 8 tools, but no chuck, so please try to keep it with in those guidelines.

With your help, maybe I'll be able to produce something better than what my kids are calling, "The Magic Wand".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Thumbs up Nice Randy~

Welcome to the vortex~ you poor thing- you're never going to be able to leave the power of the vortex!
    Way to go! , nice lathe Randy!
    Brian

Nice lathe Randy! As far as projects - without a chuck - you are pretty much limited to spindle work. Easiest items to turn are candle holders. Look in any catalog or magazine that deals with home deco and you will find tons of items to inspire you. Have fun with it and make sure you post pictures of whatever it is you turn!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Randy,
    You could do some small bowls by glueing the bowl blank to a waste block that is mounted on your faceplate.

Congrats on the lathe Randy. Steve and Richard hit on my idea's. A chuck will open a lot of doors such as a G3 or a Grizzly for $99. I have 2 of them and they are good quality.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Randy, some projects that may work for you. These are some projects I have done without the aid of a chuck. Hope these help... pic's of all of these are on the web. if you can't find a pic of an item I can PM it to you..

Tea light candle holders, Drill the hole for the tea light before turning.

Sewing pin cushion same as tea light but after turning, insert the pin cushion material.

Spurtles, spatulas, honey dipper, Rolling pen.

Craft mallets.

Light pulls.

Dibble, a garden planting depth gauge.

Hair picks.

Paper towel roll holder use the face plate to turn the base..

Judges Gavel

Ron

A bonker of course!.....Had to get that in before my partner does!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I made this lamp on my Jet mini-lathe. It is just spindle work, however, I did use a lamp auger to drill the hold down the middle.

lamp2.jpg

Ron noted hair picks.
    In the photo are crochet hooks I turned. If you elect not to carve and form the hooks, they are hair picks.

Some other things Ron noted, + 1.

OK, hear is another one.

Ya could do a top.

Hey Randy, chucks are a relatively new gizmo for turning. You can still turn bowls, hollowform, etc without a chuck by using the face plate that came with your lathe. Screw a waste block onto the faceplate using some good hex head sheet metal screws, true it up on the lathe so the surface is nice and flat, and then glue a bowl blank to the waste block. Try to center it as close as possible. Use a good strong glue like titebond or gorilla glue and you'll be in business. Start out with something not so big, 6" round by 3" thick and you'll get the feel of it. When you get the shape you like you can part if off and sand the bottom flat. Once you get the hang of that, you'll want to learn to make a jam chuck, using your faceplate again, so you can make the bottom fancier. But that will come later. Good Luck!

Wow! Great list of projects. I don't think I have anything to add, he says putting his tea down on the wooden desk. I need a coaster. Coasters!! That's another one!
    Dave Fried

Speak softly and carry a large bonker.

Blog Entries
    Those look like some good examples, thanks so far for the pics.

And so to answer the vortex's call, I've been doing some reading on chucks.

The Oneway Talon is a fan favorite that no one complains about (except maybe price). Who has the best prices on these? And what is the preference for straight vs dovetail jaws?
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good