Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Basement WWers...

Question for Basement WWers...

Out of curiosity, do any of ya'll wwers that have basement shops use any kind of communication with the upstairs family members?

Currently wifey yells as loud as she can or sends the kid down ... there has to be a better way.

Just curious.

Thanks.

Pounding on the floor? Yelling is the normal method

Lee,

I bought a second cordless handset (matched with the base upstairs), which has an intercom feature. It has worked well.

Regards,

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Koepke View Post
    Out of curiosity, do any of ya'll wwers that have basement shops use any kind of communication with the upstairs family members?

Currently wifey yells as loud as she can or sends the kid down ... there has to be a better way.

Just curious.

Thanks.
    Heck No!!! That's the whole point. Peace and quiet.
    Gary

I keep my cell phone set on vibrate then ring, and keep it on my belt or in my pocket. My LOML just calls my phone when she wants me.
    This works if you get a signal in your shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    Gary

this week has been AWESOME ... i spent the whole week down there, and wandered up to heat up dinner.

Email?

My shop is detached, but the solution we found would work well in the house too. We bought a good multi-headset cordless phone system that allows you to call between phones and talk like a regular coversation. Our current one is a Motorola 5.8Ghz system but is developing some line noise that is related to the jack where the phone cord plugs into the base so we'll probably end up replacing it soon. When we do, it will be a DECT 6.0 system, probably from Uniden since I'm really happy with the Uniden 5.8 system on my office line. I can walk all the way out to the road or to my shop while on a conference call with no noise. Both are well over 100' from the base.

Matt, I recently put in the Uniden DECT 6 system (5 handsets) and am very pleased. It replaced the 5.8ghz product which I wasn't getting very good range with.

To the OP, I personally think this is one of best ways to insure that a) you can communicate with family and b) have an easily accessible phone in your shop should you have an accident. Just be sure you keep it in a location and height that you can reach even from the floor.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Matt, I recently put in the Uniden DECT 6 system (5 handsets) and am very pleased. It replaced the 5.8ghz product which I wasn't getting very good range with.

To the OP, I personally think this is one of best ways to insure that a) you can communicate with family and b) have an easily accessible phone in your shop should you have an accident. Just be sure you keep it in a location and height that you can reach even from the floor.
    i have a phone down there. not part of our new system though.

I also considered getting an air horn so I could get someones attention ....

Radio Shack has a telephone flasher for the hearing impaired. It has a loud ringer as well as a flashing light. Funny, my wife and I were talking about just this issue today. My shop is sound proofed and pounding on the floor doesn't work (she tried)!

You could always buy a "wireless" intercom system from Radio Shack or wherever...uses the power lines between units.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If I have an accident...LOML won't need no phone to hear me.
    Gary

From a 70 year old....

Jeez. guys, gimme a break...

My wife just stomps on the floor with her heel, and then we pick up the phones. Just touch one of the number buttons and there you go. No expensive new phones or intercoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    Gary
    Gary is exactly right!! I have a Uniden 5.8GHz system with an intercom feature in my basement shop. I've showed the LOML how to use it a couple of times but she never remembers. It's perfect I can use it to reach her but not the opposite. Seriously if she needs me bad enough, she just comes downstairs. I'd never hear the intercom with DC and tools running anyway. I have reminded her numerous times about how to NEVER get my attention when I'm using a power tool and NEVER stand in direct fire of the TS while waiting. She hasn't startled me yet but she also tends to forget mundane details like this however and makes me think I should post these rules on the entrance to the shop door as a reminder. The door to the basement has one of those plastic child safety knobs so the kids cannot find me.