Thread: Help me pick a new raised panel bit set

Help me pick a new raised panel bit set

I'll soon be in the market for a new Raised panel/Rail & Stile set for cabinet doors. The set I am currently using does not have a backcutter on the raised panel blade so its up to the user to route the correct depth on the front and then in a second step route the backcut to allow the panel to sit flush with the rails & stiles.

I've been looking at some of the sets available with the backcutter equipped panel raisers but I don't see too much talk on this forum about different brands. I would rather purchase a panel raiser & matched rail/stile set togeather because my current set is nearing the end of its useful life and its time for a new toy...uhhh I mean tool, anyway.

So, for those of you that have a favorite set that easily gives a flush finish, please share the brand, what you like about it and approximate cost if you can remember.

Almost forgot to specify, the set will be for use on a router not a shaper. If some of you shaper owners would like to kick in information on your favorite shaper sets for the benefit of others who may be interested, feel free to do so.

Personally, I don't like integral back-cutters. I don't think they are as flexible.

As for panel cutter design, I still like Freud's "2+2" design with the alternate shear angles for very clean cuts. I only use one panel raising set since I only do straight bevels, but that Freud cutter has been very pleasing to me for years. I also use it for beveling the underside of some small table tops rather than jigging up the table saw. I couldn't do that with a back-cutter.

But, of course, this is personal preference.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There are lots of good panel cutters, but Freud's 2+2 that Jim mentioned has quality and an advanced design going for it.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I love Whiteside bits and especially the 3-wing bits offered -- smooth cutting bits -- I just completed a entire kitchen set with it and had excellent results. The rail & stile bit set works great too. Whiteside offers a back-cutter option, but as Jim mentioned I do not think this is a great advantage and you do lose flexibility. Whiteside sells a separate back-cutting bit (similar to a cove cutter or mini-raised panel) if you want to relieve the back of the panel for a flush fit.

Scot

I can't tell you which specific bit will work well for what you are asking, but you might look at the Infinity sale that is 25% off through tomorrow night.
    Save 25%
    On Any Single Item In Our Catalog!*
    Enter Code:
    EOYD07
    Enjoy Huge Savings Till The End Of The Year!

Here's how it works; Fill your cart with any number of our great woodworking tools and before we process your order for shipment we'll deduct 25% from the highest value item in your cart, excluding sale or overstock items. But you must enter the code in the comments section of your order to qualify. Some restrictions apply, limit one coupon per order, see below for details.

Use these extra savings to pick your favorite after Christmas gift. Choose from our premium quality & award-winning router bits, router bit sets, saw blades, shaper cutters, and many other great woodworking tools.
    ----------------------------
    Hope it is ok to post this. Jim. (I've ordered the Incra 1/2 dovetail bit set, plus 2 other bits to get back to the 100.00 level for free shipping.)
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Infinity

I have two of the Infinity raised panel bits and I have been very happy with them. I also have one of the Freud bits that has been mentioned earlier. You can't go wrong with either one IMOP.

Blog Entries
    I have a KATANA set that you can get from MLCS , Amazon carries it also.
    Kitchen Door & Drawer 5 Piece Sets
    NEW! Mix & Match Katana Router Bit Sets!
    Choose the Rail & Stile and the Raised Panel Profile you want!
    NEW Mix & Match option allows you to create a custom 1/2" shank set with carbide tipped Katana® router bits. Make raised panel doors, table tops, and drawers for fine furniture and custom kitchen cabinetry.
    1. The Raised Panel router bit puts a classic edge on the floating central panel in your door. Choose Ogee, Cove or 18˚ Bevel.
    2. Our Matched Rail and Stile router bit sets create precisely mated rails and stiles that form the frame of your door. Use with 3/4" to 7/8" stock. Choose Ogee or Round Over.
    3. When the central panel needs to be wider than your stock, use the Reverse Glue Joint router bit to mill two or more pieces of stock with reverse cut edge joints to reach the required width. Assemble and glue up the stock, and your panel is ready to be raised. Use with stock up to 1-1/4" thick.
    4. Drawer construction is easy with the Katana® Drawer Lock router bit. Create a strong, long lasting joint that fits precisely because one bit makes the cut in the drawer front, as well as the side of the drawer, so both pieces fit together perfectly.
    I have the set at the top right > http://http://www.mlcswoodworking.co...es/katset1.htm
    without the undercutter. With the Ogee profile.
    You can also get them with the undercutter as seen if you scroll down the page a bit.
    Mix & Match and a Lifetime Guarantee.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

I bought the Whiteside raised panel set at a tool show this past Nov. for an upcoming project. A week later, on this forum, I read of a guy named Marc Sommerfeld and his expertise in using router tables. I read his ideas concerning raised panel sets, as far as height matching the different bits. Sounded like a great idea. I called Whiteside and asked if their bits were height matched and they said no. They also said it was a great idea, but too costly to change their tooling. I took back the unused Whiteside bits and ordered the Sommerfeld bits. They work exactly as described on his website, in his catalog, and on his dvd's. I highly recommend them. His site is www.marcsommerfeldtools.com John

I use the matched set that Whiteside sells.

I use a shaper for my panels.

My panels are 5/8" thick, so I don't have to do a back cut/relief.

I bought a set from Sommerfeld and have been very happy with them. They are easy to set up initially and the cut requires very little sanding.

Thanks for all the replies, luckily I have a little time to think it over before I build my next set. I'll take all of your suggestions into consideration. I like your 5/8" panel idea Steve, I'll have to give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Greathouse View Post
    Thanks for all the replies, luckily I have a little time to think it over before I build my next set. I'll take all of your suggestions into consideration. I like your 5/8" panel idea Steve, I'll have to give that a try.
    Paul,

If you opt for using 5/8" panels be aware that it is best to get cutters specific to the task in order to get the proper profile. Some manufacturers offer only one bit in each profile and intend its use in all thicknesses. The only profile that this actually works for without severely compromising the profile is the cove. Raised panel bits specifically for either 3/4" or 5/8" stock have profiles shaped to optimize for the intended thickness.
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.