Thread: HF 1 micron canister fits Delta DC 50-850 ?

Blog Entries

HF 1 micron canister fits Delta DC 50-850 ?

I have looked at the bag dimensions of the Harbor Freight 2 HP dust collector and those of the Delta 50-850 dust collector I just purchased used for $150.00. It seems that the diameter of the bags are 19 1/2 inches for both.

That leads me to the conclusion that the 1 micron canister filter sold by HF for $150.00 would fit the Delta machine. Instead of paying $270.00 for the Delta canister, I'm thinking about giving it a try. It seems the rims are the same, so mounting methods would probably be the same also.

Has anyone tried this combination? Should I give it a try??? Is there anything I may be overlooking? Quality seems similar, also...

Your opinions are welcome!

Greg
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

I'm interested in this option as well. Subscribed!
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

dust canister

I noticed today the JDS Dust Canister has approx. a 19.5 inch dia. as well.

When you get the canister filter from HF, post what material the filter is made of... paper, spun poly? I am considering the HF dust collector and canister. Thanks

Why not get the Wynn Poly spun cannister for $135 + shipping. It is rated down to 1 micron and its washable and it is guaranteed to fit the delta as well as the HF DC. I would trust Wynn's more than HF! Here is the link.

http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm
    War Eagle!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Muller View Post
    That leads me to the conclusion that the 1 micron canister filter sold by HF for $150.00 would fit the Delta machine. Instead of paying $270.00 for the Delta canister, I'm thinking about giving it a try.

Your opinions are welcome!
    My opinion would be skip the harbor freight filter, and get the Wynn. The paper filter they sell is less expensive and captures particulate in the half micron size.

The spun poly filter while in the same price range is washable, reusable, should last a lifetime type of filter.

The filter that harbor freight is selling (169.00? you must have a coupon) is a paper design similar to the Jet canister, while probably a nice filter, I would not want to be one of the first to discover that like most other things sold there the quality isn't what I would hope for. Thickness of the paper, durability, will the gaskets and glue hold up, and anything else that could go wrong.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Hyman View Post
    Why not get the Wynn Poly spun cannister for $135 + shipping. It is rated down to 1 micron and its washable and it is guaranteed to fit the delta as well as the HF DC. I would trust Wynn's more than HF! Here is the link.

http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm
    Ditto. I've been saving up for a while, but as soon as I can afford to I'm getting the Wynn.

The Poly spun 1 micron is literally a lifetime filter, washable and able to resist way more air pressure from a compressed air blast for cleaning than a paper filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thiel View Post
    The filter that harbor freight is selling (169.00? you must have a coupon) is a paper design similar to the Jet canister, while probably a nice filter, I would not want to be one of the first to discover that like most other things sold there the quality isn't what I would hope for. Thickness of the paper, durability, will the gaskets and glue hold up, and anything else that could go wrong.

Jim
    My thought exactly. Being the last defense between you and the dust, I think I'd want to order from someone with a track record in this area.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Thanks guys!

I had seen the Wynn filters a while back, but didn't like the smaller size, I wasn't aware that they had started making them the correct sizes for the Delta and other DC's.

No doubt about it, unless someone has a better option in the next 16 hours, I'm ordering the Wynn poly cartridge for $130.00. 1/2 micron...cheap...lifetime quality...

I'd have to be pretty dim to not take that deal...

I appreciate your help guys! Another fine example of my donation paying for itself!

Greg
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Muller View Post
    I'm ordering the Wynn poly cartridge for $130.00. 1/2 micron...cheap...lifetime quality...
    Greg:

FYI - As I recall based on my conversations with Wynn, the 1/2 micron filter is paper, not poly spun. Your $130 price, however, is correct for the 1 micron poly spun. Just wanted to make sure you knew!