Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wally World offering engraved picture gifts

Wally World offering engraved picture gifts

I was in wally world the other day and saw a brochure for your photo etched in glass.

They have several different styles including a couple that have lighted bases and one that is 3-d engraved (with lighted base).3-d

The 3-d was very impressive. How are they able to do this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Cole; 12-31-2007 at 1:55 AM. Reason: Add detail

I haven't seen this offered by Wal Mart in our area yet (No.Virginia), might be someone worked a deal with a regional manager. I had inquired about doing this in my area - they said they would consider it. As far as 3D is concerned - been around for a while - links to some info below. Equipment is expensive, of course.

http://www.crystalmagic.com/OurTechnology.htm
    http://www.inspeck.com/products/crystal/crystal.asp
    A Stone Canvas
    60w VY-TEK FX/2, Adobe Illustrator/ Photoshop Elements, Corel X4, Photograv 3.0, Sandcarving, Stage Blasting, Stained Glass, Scrimshanding, all mobile studio.

That can't be good

I despise Walmart with a passion. Root of all evil.

We just have to have better products and customer service. The better products should not be hard. Looks like they have pretty cookie cutter things going on there.

Did I say I hate Walmart ?
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

I hate Wal-Mart more than you do. I have a Wal-Mart sucks tee shirt too. And...I am about to order my 1ST laser...Maybe Wed.

Universal V-460 (Not sold in any Wal-Mart)

Kim

Wall-mart Is Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Haubert View Post
    I hate Wal-Mart more than you do. I have a Wal-Mart sucks tee shirt too. And...I am about to order my 1ST laser...Maybe Wed.

Universal V-460 (Not sold in any Wal-Mart)

Kim
    my mother-in -law a very kind hearted and loving god fearing church going woman who probably never said a unkind word to anyone in the last 50 years,
    says with quite a bit of venom that WALL-MART IS EVIL. i personally don't like their small town killing tactics. put up a big box, fill it with zombies that don't know what they are selling or how it works. and crush the life out of all the local business. the thing is all those people that lost their good paying jobs to wally world are there everyday shopping i know this because the parking lot is always full. and i am now one of the guilty , because all their local competition has closed down and now i have to shop there as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by jAMES jARAGOSKY View Post
    my mother-in -law a very kind hearted and loving god fearing church going woman who probably never said a unkind word to anyone in the last 50 years,
    says with quite a bit of venom that WALL-MART IS EVIL. i personally don't like their small town killing tactics. put up a big box, fill it with zombies that don't know what they are selling or how it works. and crush the life out of all the local business. the thing is all those people that lost their good paying jobs to wally world are there everyday shopping i know this because the parking lot is always full. and i am now one of the guilty , because all their local competition has closed down and now i have to shop there as well.
    Yep,
    We know, you been over there buying those cheap LEDS
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bratton View Post
    Yep,
    We know, you been over there buying those cheap LEDS
    YUP and they are half off right now. i bought 10 sets at $1.50 a set yesterday
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by jAMES jARAGOSKY View Post
    YUP and they are half off right now. i bought 10 sets at $1.50 a set yesterday
    Dang, those evil devils are selling them at 50% off. They should have just dropped them to 75% off. Heck..FREE would have been better.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Wal-Mart is the Devil

Wal-Mart is the Devil, but they wouldn't be doing this if people weren't so greedy. I'm as guilty as the next. However I have stopped going there if I can help it. We now shop at Publix or Kroger for groceries and only go to see the devil if we can't get it anywhere else. I don't mind spending a little more to avoid them. I know it doesn't make a difference to their bottom line, but it helps my conscience a little. But, I too have bought the leds at clearance.

Sorry, I got off subject. I can't believe their horning in on our engraving business... UghhH!!!
    Last edited by Ricky Gore; 01-01-2008 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Off Subject...
    Epilog Helix 24 - 35W, Rotary Attachment, Corel X3, Adobe CS2

I always here they have the best prices. What a bunch of baloney. Shop around!!! They are not that great. I haven't been to walmart in years. And I'll do without LEDs if they are the only ones who have them.

Wal-Mart sucks

I have seen a couple of laser engraved samples at my local Wally World. In most cases when people on this forum displays a photo of there work, the photo does not do the etching justice. In Wally Worlds case, the photo looks beter than the actual engraving. The far right picture in the first post has a girl with a soccer ball. I have seen this etching in our local store, and I was not impressed.

Hey guys, not being a Wally World kind of guy, (never even seen a WW come to that) isn't what they are doing sub-surface lasering? If it is then you have nothing to worry about. Sub-surface is really no where near as good in my humble opinion. It does photograph well. I even went to see some at the nearest shop to me (25 miles away) because of a couple of photographs that I had seen. I have to say that my face lit up when I saw it close up. I wouldn't have bought any of it. Sub-surface, I thought, sub-standard. The texting was reasonable, not great but reasonable but the photographs were just plain dull. I was hoping it just wasn't my opinion and that was confirmed by a neighbour of mine who had seen the stuff. There opinion was that it was nice, but not 'that nice' and most certainly not as nice as the stuff I do.

However this Wally World certainly has the one up on most people. Bulk buying of goods to be engraved and a shed load of money to throw at it even if it doesn't work well.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

I don't have a lot of customers that want to spend 18-20$ on a keytag, and their 2-d 5x7 and 4 x6 photos are over $2.00 a square inch.. And, based on experience, you just KNOW the customer is going to give them a 75dpi .jpg to work from, so frank is right. Not only are the 3-d images going to look like crap, so are the 2-d's Remember, that display was put together by a professional, with the whole idea of making 'those' samples look good..somewhere on that display card, or order form will be the standard disclaimer they use in the weightloss industry, "Results not typical"!!
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Walmart & Kmart

Fellers do you know how these 2 work --they only supply the building and sale people --the goods in each section are rented and stocked by mostly American co. --they pay walmart a % for the floor space and sales --Old Sam had this dream to get out of dept and make a dollar --The people working there need a job and not asking for welfare -It all boils down to our So here making the fast buck on foreign goods -use to be Germany and Swiss had best machinery and watches -then Japan came in with junk and later perfected top goods and now -don't blame it all on the China they like to eat to -but its our own causing the delimas with not having quality and safety of goods checked --our own brothers getting to be a fat cat and not caring what they make it from or to tolerances as we were forced to do in years past here in the US --the almighty dollar in some pockets will sell us and our country out -- even our own military has been touched and a few good men in higher places have raised mortal" Hell " because of inports of goods which were inferior to ours for our own military --GOD BLESS AMERICA and we turn our backs on HIM till the bomb hits us . We ARE Being sold
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-02-2008 at 7:54 AM.

I'm with Frank and Bill. Nothing to worry about. Who's going to remove the backgrounds on those photos like was done on the samples? Someone working at Wal-Mart? It ain't gonna happen. Heck, I can't even supply my own photographs that work right, much less having someone pick up their 3" x 5" photos from the photolab at Wal-Mart, then go through them while standing there and hand one back to them and say "make me a $50 gift item from this". It's just not that automated or easy and I don't think there's anything to worry about.

I had another thread where I mentioned a local camera shop who just put a laser in to do almost the same stuff. They are using Photoshop. They charge prices that are close to being on the high end. Guess what? They deal with all the things I don't want to. Crappy photos and orders of one.

We all know it takes a professional to make these things work well, and we also all know that Photoshop and laser gurus don't usually work for $8 an hour. Don't sweat it, they'll weed out all the people we don't want
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.