Thread: Rockwell Planer Restoration

Rockwell Planer Restoration

Hi guys, I usually post over in the turner's forum so most of ya may not know me so I thought I would post this here and introduce myself.

Hi I am Shane and live in northern Utah. I love working with wood, I spend most of my free time playing on the lathe, but every once in a while I get a chance to do some flat work too. One of my other hobbies is restoring old woodworking machines.

This is my latest restoration. A 13 inch Rockwell planer model 22-650. I seen it advertised in a local paper and went and checked it out. Mechanically its in great shape, tight bearings, and virtually no rust at all. He wanted $350 for it so I offered him $250 for and he accepted. He also had a beatup grizzly TS with a 52 inch Delta unifence. I told him I would give him 50 bucks for the fence and he said "throw in another 25 and you can have the saw too." The saw is in rough shape, probably not worth restoring, and the 3 hp import motor is shot, but the fence looks great and will go on one of my other saws.

Anyways, I didn't mean to make this post so long, so here's a few picks of the planer.

Before restoration:

After restoration: The stand is painted Delta gray and the base is black. Since the original paint on the planer was textured I tried a dark gray Rustoleum hammered paint. It was the first time I have used this paint and I am pretty happy with the results.

The original Leeson motor was 220 and currently I only have 110 in the shop, so I borrowed a 2 hp motor off of one of my shapers until I can get 220 ran out to the shop. I still need to add a switch but its rock solid and runs great.

Here's a shot of a few other machines I have restored.
    Starting on the right. A 1950's Craftman TS, a 1931 Delta band saw, Rockwell band saw, the Rockwell planer, an old (age unknown) all wooden scroll saw, and in the back ground a Milwaukee DP.
    If you are interested you can see more of my restros here:
    http://www.shanewhitlock.com/photo/v/wood/misc/

Thanks for looking....

Have a Happy New Year,
    Shane Whitlock

Rockwell

Nice job Shane,that planer looks better than new.Nothing like an old AMERICAN made Arn.

Turned out great Shane. I love these resto projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    Nice job Shane,that planer looks better than new.Nothing like an old AMERICAN made Arn.
    Parts of that planer may have been made in Brazil, by a company named Invicta. They made most likely made this planer, with Delta adding an American made motor, and stand. I have the 380, which is the 15" version. Mine was made in Tiawan. The American made Rockwell 13" planer that I also have, is like a refrigerator. It was made to compete with the PM 100, also know as the refrigerator.

Thanks for the comments Carroll and Matt, I appreciate it.

Bruce is correct, the planer was made in Brazil. I like the old american arn too but I am still very happy with this one. Compared to my lunchbox planer this one is a tank, weighing in at around 460 lbs,.

Thanks again,
    Shane

Planer

I stand corrected.I had the delta model which was made in Taiwan.It was or is a good planer.The one at my workplace is a Rockwell made here in Ol USA.Looks just like that one.Anyway it does not take away from the fine job you done restoring it.I'm just about finish restoring my PM-100 which is my first,I will post some pics of it.Hopefully it will come out as good as your planer.

Nice thing about your PM-100, is you never have to worry about anybody stealing it. It is too heavy to steal. Same with my Rockwell 13". Probably weighs close to 1000 pounds.

8. I know it's been a while sense this thread came around but I have just started into doing a restoration on my planer and was admiring the red one above. This what I have ,the old tank has been road hard and put away wet.Now it has started to give me some problems cranking up and down so it's time to fix the old girl.

Anyone have a manual on these old tanks ,I couldn't find the model # on it but it was made 12-81 ,any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks Mike A.