Thread: Cutting Circles

Cutting Circles

What is the best way to cut holes in a project? Do the adjustable circle cutters for a drill press really work? Seems like a flexible option that would allow cutting different sizes if they actually do work. Other options? Hole saw, forstner bits, (expensive for large sizes) router jig?
    The project I am working on now will need some 2 3/4" circles, but would like the flexibility of different sizes in the future.
    Last edited by Joe Lasch; 01-01-2008 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lasch View Post
    What is the best way to cut circles in a project? Do the adjustable circle cutters for a drill press really work? Seems like a flexible option that would allow cutting different sizes if they actually do work. Other options? Hole saw, forstner bits, (expensive for large sizes) router jig?
    The project I am working on now will need some 2 3/4" circles, but would like the flexibility of different sizes in the future.
    Joe,
    Are you looking to cut circles or holes? You mention hole saw and a forstner bit which are used to cut holes, not circles.

Are you cutting a hole 2 3/4" or a circle 2 3/4"?

Its a small size either way. You may be able to find a forstner that size at a specialty store. I've used the circle cutter on a drill press, they're all right, but you still have a hole in the center.

If you're making circles, I'd probably rough cut one oversize on a bandsaw. Clean it up on a sander and use that as a template to produce multiples with a router table. I know, sound convoluted...
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Oopps, sorry, you're right, I'm cutting holes. The forstner bits are $27 at Lee Valley - pricy option for one project, but I'm sure would do a good job.

For circles check out Roto Zip's circle attachment. It really works.

Doug Rogers

Buy a Jasper jig and then all you need is a upward spiral cut bit for your router. I spent about $30 on my Jasper jig, but I've ended up cutting about 1000 holes or circles with it. The nice thing is, you can cut either. You can cut a hole or you can cut a circle to use for something. If you're tricky, like me, you can cut a circle and then cut a hole in it, which is pretty cool for making wood rings.

a hole saw works great and is relatively in expensive. They come in kits also which will give you a bunch of different sizes. easily found at any home depot or lowes.

Thanks Jon, that Jasper jig looks like just the ticket for what I need to do and price isn't bad for all the uses I could find for it in the future.

There was a thread a while back just on this subject.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...=cutting+holes

If you want to have the most flexibility a hole cutter would be just what you need.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=799

I just cut some 6" holes and 6" wheels in 3/4" maple ply using the 7 7/8" circle cutter manufactured by General and sold by Woodcraft (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...roductid=16N41) for approx $32. It worked very well, although I had to do several tests to get the dimensions right (the guage was off a bit). Woodcraft has a smaller version, and I believe Lee Valley has one or more, too.

I found this to be a very effective solution.
    Last edited by Danny Thompson; 01-01-2008 at 4:27 PM.