Thread: Homemade Big Chuck Jaws?

Homemade Big Chuck Jaws?

Ok. Here's my next endeavor since the hollowing tool project is done. I am attempting to create a set of big jaws to chuck bowls up for finishing of the foot/bottom sections.

I was thinking of using aluminum; I can cut it out on the scroll saw with a metal blade, drill the holes with a metal drill bit, stick it on the chuck and true it up, it's strong (enough). If anybody has a better option, I'd be open to hearing about it.

I also need advice regarding what material to use for the little nubs that grab the edges of the bowl... and a source for 'em.

Here's my plan that I drew up. Anybody see flaws? I'm sure they're there.

Big Chuck Drawing.JPG

Thanks for you help!

Happy New Year!

Ben here is a set I made
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...1&d=1119573865
    Drill the holes to fit on the chuck I countesunk mine, then put them on the chuck I used an old skew to score some lines where I wanted to drill my holes for the bumpers.
    I drilled and tapped the holes so its easy to change them out without much hassle.
    remember these are not used with high speed so turn the lathe speed down while using them.

I used Rubber Bumpers and you can find them at Lowes in the special parts section in the hardware.
    Last edited by Jim Ketron; 01-01-2008 at 8:20 PM.
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

If you have a laboratory supply company near you, go get some rubber stoppers for use in glass lab equipment. They are very pliable, come in a variety of sizes, and you can get them with a hole already in the center. Also, they are tapered, so you can arrange them to taper "in" or "out" for the best fit on your project.

Thus explains the two scroll saws!

Looks good to me...
    Suggestion: Buttons should be able to be spaced a smaller distance between them than the travel of your jaw slides.
    That's why I sedom use my Cole Jaws.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Ben check out this

Just in the last month on SM there was a pattern -ect. Longworth chuck--check it out in the search might be better for ya --yea why 2 scroll saws ???

Make A Longsworth Chuck Out Of Aluminum Plate, It Will Save Changing Buttons. Just A Suggestion. Thats My Next Project. Happy New Year & Happy Turning

Thanks for all you advice. I will post a picture when I'm done.

And yes, Chris, that does explain the two scroll saws. Sometimes f**t work is needed for turning and/or bowl finishing.

Thanks again!

& # 1 7 4

Ben,
    another post reminded me that I have a set of psi for the barracuda 2 cole jaws setting at my house I never used. There yours if you want them instead of making some. send me a pm

Bob

Why two scroll saws????

One for each foot?
    Bob

Aluminum Longworth?

Eddie,
    Might want to reconsider, unless you own a machine shop. Having made two Longworths (12" and 16"), I would opt to make "Cole" jaws for my scroll chuck, maybe 1/2" aluminum or 3/8 steel plate. Just a thought.