Thread: Drill Press Question...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Drill Press Question...

(O.K....I saw the post below after the fact, but my question hinges on how much drill press to buy, not so much on the brand everyone likes)

Hey gang,
    I’m relatively new to this consuming hobby of woodworking, having only a couple of projects under my belt, and one nearing completion (yes, pictures forthcoming…). I need some advice on a tool purchase (boy, if that won’t get a response!).

Boastingly, I told my bride to be that I would make the kneeling bench for our wedding ceremony (April 23, thank you very much). The design was completed a while ago, and I’ve recently purchased the quartersawn white oak. So here’s the rub, I want to get a drill press in order to hog out the mortices (to be squared up by hand).

My dilemma has been whether to get a 12” bench top model, or spring for a floor model. The dynamics involved are: 1) limited space; 2) wanting to keep the budget under $300; 3) wanting versatility and usefulness down the road.

I’ve been looking at the Delta models DP 250, DP 300, DP 350, DP 400, & 965. Also the Jet JDP 17MF. Recently, a salesman at W.J. Redmond told me about a Shop Fox radial arm drill press (floor version) for $275. I’m going to take a look at it this Friday. I guess what I’m asking is how much drill press do I need for simple woodworking projects?

Any advice is welcome.
    Last edited by Maurice Ungaro; 02-25-2004 at 11:01 AM.
    Maurice