Thread: Best router for mortising & table use

Best router for mortising & table use

I will be purchasing a new plunge router to compliment my Porter Cable 690 and PC trim routers. I will primarily be using it in a router table but on occasion will be using it hand held to cut mortises in hardwood (say 1/2" wide x 1.5" deep in maple, maybe even larger on occasion). I don't own a lift yet and if I can avoid the additional expense by purchasing the right router that would be helpful.

My 690 made me a Porter Cable man as I have loved using it for over a decade (with several sets of new brushes). However, I'm only neutral about the PC trim router; I know there are better ones out there. And lately I have not found the best reviews for any of the Porter Cable plunge routers, so at this point I would probably have to be talked back into them (although, I am particularly interested in hearing about the new 895 that looks like a Dewalt plunge).

Any specific recommendations for a plunge router (or combo plunge/fixed)?

I owned a 690 for years and made many jigs/templates for it. So when it was time to upgrade to another router (690 was still good) I bought the 890. I had a plunge base in the table with a router raizor so the 890 fit without any problems. Also now if my 690 breaks I still can use the 890 in the old base and all the jigs will still fit. I'm kind of stuck with the 690/890 series because of all the bases (3 fixed and 2 plunges) I own. To replace all of them would be expensive. BUT - these routers are just fine so I'm not really stuck. I have not had a need to go any larger then the 890. I suspect that if need be and have to have a 3+ hp then I would still go with PC.
    Wife's request is another excuse for a new tool!!!

It hasn't actually arrived yet, so I can't tell you first hand how great it is, but I just ordered a Freud 3000 from Peachtree. It promises to do everything a lift would, at half the price. Well almost. Router was $210 and I had to buy a plate for $30; so it is $250. A lift is $200 and a PC7518 is $275; so $475.

I either saved $225, or threw out $250. Seems like a good bet.

I think the two best plungers on the market with smooth action and great performance are the Festool OF1400 and the Dewalt DW621. The former isn't inexpensive, but you'll be hard pressed to find a better router in its class and the dust collection is excellent. The DW621 is a venerable favorite with smooth action and proven results. It also has acceptable dust collection with certain tasks.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...