Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elliptical Exerciser Advice

Elliptical Exerciser Advice

I have a Nordic ski machine that I have been using for 20 years. It has been good to us but am now looking for an elliptical machine. The reason I use machine is because I used to be a jogger but killed my heels.
    Costo.com has a machine that has $400 off and will deliver for $1300. There is a store around 50 miles from me that sells Vision Fitness and Nautilus. The later 2 for around $2000-2300.
    Does anybody know these machines or have any advice on elliptical product. I want to spend the money for quality as this will be my last exercise machine I will buy forever. Gee...does Festool make exercise machines
    Gary

When it comes to exercise machines, the type of resistance makes all the difference. What kind of resistance does the machine use? If it's magnetic, great! If it's wind, via fans of some kind, that's probably OK. If the resistance is created by some kind of clamps on a wheel, a small wheel that pushes against a large, rubber wheel, or a cloth strap on a wheel, I'd be reluctant. If the resistance is via hydraulic or pnuematic cylinders, like small car shocks, I'd look elsewhere immediately.

That's just my take.

I haven't any idea about the Elliptical Exerciser but I go to a lot of garage sales and find very expensive exercise equipment for pennies on the dollar. I used the Nordic ski machine for several months, had knee surgery, went back to the Nordic after I recovered and could not get the hang of it again after trying for several weeks.
    Do an Epinions dot com search on the Elliptical Exerciser for information from people that have experienced the Exerciser.
    If the Nordic Ski machine has worked for you why change. I felt it was a great device when I was using it. I have seen brand new Nordic Ski machines at garage sales for $25. I couldn't believe it, I paid around $300 for mine used.
    David B

Nordic Track makes some of the better home exercise machines. They frequently get very high customer feedback. Try this site. Not sure about their financial affiliations, sometimes that can sway the reviews towards certain makers.
    Nautilus is probably commercial grade, which makes it better, I have seen some of their stuff at our local YMCA.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahid Naqvi View Post
    Nordic Track makes some of the better home exercise machines. They frequently get very high customer feedback. Try this site. Not sure about their financial affiliations, sometimes that can sway the reviews towards certain makers.
    Nautilus is probably commercial grade, which makes it better, I have seen some of their stuff at our local YMCA.
    Zahid... Thanks man..That is a great site. I've been looking all over the net for that. I knew I should have come to the Creek first.

Gary

Can't speak to their ellipticals, but I've had a Vision exercise bike for 6+ years. Very high quality machine, haven't had a single problem with it, and I used to ride it 4-5 days per week. Trying to get back there...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    When it comes to exercise machines, the type of resistance makes all the difference. What kind of resistance does the machine use? If it's magnetic, great! If it's wind, via fans of some kind, that's probably OK. If the resistance is created by some kind of clamps on a wheel, a small wheel that pushes against a large, rubber wheel, or a cloth strap on a wheel, I'd be reluctant. If the resistance is via hydraulic or pnuematic cylinders, like small car shocks, I'd look elsewhere immediately.

That's just my take.
    Pat...I bought my Nordic Cross Country ski machine in 1987 for around $500...Come to about 25 bucks a year. It has the strap between two wheels (Flywheel) and I think the only thing I replaced is the nylon strap and that only took a couple of minutes.
    Today is the first I ever heard of the magnetic resistance. Does it hold up alright? Will I get 20 years out of it?. (if it does...I'll be 78 years young) Zahid gave me a great link so I'll be checking it out. Wow, this brings back memories from 20 years ago.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    I haven't any idea about the Elliptical Exerciser but I go to a lot of garage sales and find very expensive exercise equipment for pennies on the dollar. I used the Nordic ski machine for several months, had knee surgery, went back to the Nordic after I recovered and could not get the hang of it again after trying for several weeks.
    Do an Epinions dot com search on the Elliptical Exerciser for information from people that have experienced the Exerciser.
    If the Nordic Ski machine has worked for you why change. I felt it was a great device when I was using it. I have seen brand new Nordic Ski machines at garage sales for $25. I couldn't believe it, I paid around $300 for mine used.
    Change...After 20 years LOML and I figure it is time for something different. I've had some feeling loss on my feet and think it might have something to do with the repetition. I picked up a nordic down the street that was like brand new for a few bucks for the parts but haven't needed it.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    Pat...I bought my Nordic Cross Country ski machine in 1987 for around $500...Come to about 25 bucks a year. It has the strap between two wheels (Flywheel) and I think the only thing I replaced is the nylon strap and that only took a couple of minutes.
    Today is the first I ever heard of the magnetic resistance. Does it hold up alright? Will I get 20 years out of it?. (if it does...I'll be 78 years young) Zahid gave me a great link so I'll be checking it out. Wow, this brings back memories from 20 years ago.
    Gary
    No guarantees, but yes, I think a good machine with magnetic resistance will last a very long time. The resistance mechanism is kind of like a generator. It's used in high-end bicycle ergometers, rowing machines, and other high-end exercise machines. If you try such a machine, I think you'll like how it feels. It's very similar to the real thing.

Gary,
    I had to quit running to save my knees and back. You are on the right track looking at the ellipticals. I've had the Life fitness X9i for about five years. If you can afford it, it is a club quality machine that is smooth, quiet and virtually indestructable.

Gary -

The comments abouts types of resistance are valid. Magnetic is the best.

The action of the machine is even more important. I have been on a variety of different ellipse machines through gym membership and travel (hotel exercise rooms). Some of them are really awful and makes one wonder if they were designed for use by actual human beings. Basically YOU need to get on any elliptical that you are considering and see how each feels to you. Just like buying a tool - there are several good options for each, but you will like one better than the others because of feel.

Good luck,
    Ted

I spend 30 minutes on a Precor at the gym every morning. I really love it!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

The February Consumer's Report arrived today and they rate various elliptical machines. You can find it in the periodical section at most libraries.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Maple View Post
    The February Consumer's Report arrived today and they rate various elliptical machines. You can find it in the periodical section at most libraries.
    Oh great...I've subscribed to CR for over 20 years. We should get it this week in the mail.

Thanks!!!!!

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer View Post
    I spend 30 minutes on a Precor at the gym every morning. I really love it!
    Unfortunetly gyms usually buy expensive commercial grade machines, but I'm sure they must sell (Precor) for the home, too? I'm going to take Ted's advice and try a few before I decide. I workout religiously 3 times a week and expect to put on alot of miles.
    Gary