Thread: Chopsaw Dust Collection

Chopsaw Dust Collection

Seems like I've seen a post in the past, but a search does not seem to bring anything up.

At any rate, I'm looking for some ideas to capture the dust from my chopsaw. I have a somewhat typical chopsaw bench that is screwed into the wall (with little room behind the chopsaw), made of 2 x 4s and covered with 3/4" plywood with a step down where the chopsaw resides.

I have a Hitachi 10" Chopsaw (not a sliding version) with a dust port on the back portion of the top. I demo'ed a hose directly from that port to a shop vac, and a lot of dust still escapes from the blade area.

If anyone has any home remedies (I hate to spend money on a commercial version) that works for them, I would appreciate your expertise. Thanks

I've got an older Wood mag that shows a shop made collector that is fairly wide compared to the stock ports and tracks right and left behind the saw catching more of the 'chips. Perhaps someone can link you to a similar setup. I can scan mine at some point and PM it to you otherwise.

Chaser

Chaser,

I would appreciate that; thanks for the posting.

What's on the other side of your wall? I cut an opening and built a box about 12 " deep "v"d down at the bottom to hook into my DC. Works fairly well.

home made funnel

I use a funnel that I taped up of cardboard for my radial arm saw. its 12" wide 10" high and 4" deep. rectangular. the bottom is flat to the saw table and the vaccumn inlet is at the bottom all sides slope into it.

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    I use a old back of a tv. It works great, just cut a hole in the bottom to tak what ever size pipe you need.

I do all my cutting outside on a Delta MSUV.

(If your weather is nice)

Matt

This isn't mine but I am planning something very similar.

I think all of the SCMS dust collection systems are poor to one level or another.

Supposedly Festool fixed this with their new offering.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Welborn View Post
    What's on the other side of your wall? I cut an opening and built a box about 12 " deep "v"d down at the bottom to hook into my DC. Works fairly well.
    Thanks Stan, I am planning on a very similar setup. Glad to hear that it works.

Rob

Thanks for the good ideas; I wish there was a comparable portable design that wasn't as big and awkward as the ones currently available.

I've put a dust port under the table of the MS using a HVAC boot (I think that's what they are called). It works well when I'm not too lazy to turn on the DC for a 4 second cut

Quote Originally Posted by Al Killian View Post
    I use a old back of a tv. It works great, just cut a hole in the bottom to tak what ever size pipe you need.
    I like your style!