Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dowel Jigs What is your opinions?

Dowel Jigs What is your opinions?

I like to make Dinning table & kids chairs also some tables & i'm looking to get the most sutable Dowel jig is avalable in the industry especially for chairs & similar products wirh contour shapes.Any suggestion?

Many Thanks
    John

My wife bought me a Dowelmax for Christmas and its absolutely fantastic.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up ...another happy Dowelmax user

Hi John,
    You will meet varying opinions on dowel joinery. They are not my ultimate
    option, but a solid choice for many applications and another trick up my sleeve.
    I will have to go along with Chris and say my Dowelmax is a great jig.

The crucial difference with it is it's extreme accuracy, repeatability and
    the novel way it uses a reference face rather than self-centering clamp
    found on all others I have seen.
    You can call dowelmax on the west coast of Canada and speak to inventor
    Jim Lyndsay or his son. They are happy to answer questions over there
    and give solid service.
    They have been advertising in the wood mags, and also have a website.
    They will send you a DVD upon request.

Good luck with your furniture,
    be sure to post us some pics,
    Walt
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

Dowel Jigs what is your opinions?

Hello Chris

The Dowel Jig you got is there any photos or website to look it?.

Many Thanks
    John

Another happy Dowelmax owner here.

The Dowelmax is by far considered the best of the bunch.
    Never heard a negative comment about it except for perhaps the price.
    http://www.dowelmax.com/

It took me a year of looking to get over the price and pull the trigger. By far one of my best investments is the DowelMax.
    I do it right, cause I do it twice.

Dowel Jig what is your opinion?

Thank you Brian & Walt i have checked the Dowelmax website yes seems to be a very nice jig i'm very impress from what i have seen so far.

Thank you for yours comments

Many Thanks
    John

I have two (slightly) negative comments about the Dowelmax:

1. Imperial-only bushings. Not good, when the rest of the world uses metric. <=NOT CORRECT, see comment from Matt Lenzner, below

2. Minimum stock width. I can't remember the minimum width for Dowelmax, but I think it can't handle 12mm (1/2") stock or smaller.

I use the Veritas dowelling jig, part of their 32mm cabinet system. It can handle stock down to 10mm, using 6mm dowels. It has variable face-referencing. It is great for making face frames and for panel joining. It isn't so good for face joints such as shelves-to-sides, or for joining thin-to-thick, such as narrow table stretchers to offset table legs.
    Last edited by Ron Dunn; 01-02-2008 at 8:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    Dowel max and festool Domino. Domins doesn't do dowels but it does a small domino.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Hello All The Dowelmax seems to be a nice Jig & i do not think the price got much to do for quality tools if you have a need of a good tool i think is good investment.

In regards to the imperial sizes of the Dowelmax may is available as well, I work with metric as well will be nice to know if the Dowelmax is available in metric.

Inregards to Veritas one i do not know much about but it may be a nice jig as well .

Many thanks
    John

I Do know the Domino is a great tool I love it my friend has a domino he is making chairs with the domino & frontline bandsaw jig for cutting the chair shaped legs & rails that he is extremely very happy with both .

I do have a frontline bandsaw jig to cut the curved shapes legs & rails on the bandsaw which i do love it . But i like to get a dowel jig to use dowels especially for kids chairs for hobby.

many thanks
    John

Dowelmax is Metric

Dowelmax is absolutely available in metric. The metric version comes standard with 10mm bushings, but can be upgraded with 8mm and 6mm bushings also.

The imperial version is supplied with standard 3/8" bushings, but can be upgraded with 1/4" bushings for 1/2" stock.

Matt

Matt, thanks for the correction about metric bushings

Regarding 1/2" stock, how do you manage the offset from the face? I'm sure I read that there was a minimum stock thickness, and from memory it was something like 3/4". I've looked over the site again, and I can't find any such figure, so perhaps I read it in a review somewhere.

John,

I'm another satisfied Dowelmax user. The jig produces strong, accurate, and repeatable joints. In use I found the concepts behind the jig intuitive. I purchased the unit earlier this fall and have used it on one project (a twin size bed). Cutting spacer blocks of varying thicknesses is straightforward and enables you to center the dowel joint on parts of same or different thicknesses. For the bed I traced a supplied spacer and made 4 "custom" spacers in about 15 minutes. For boring the holes (after approximately 250) I prefer the power and speed of a VS corded drill to that of a cordless. Affordable/quality metric HSS replacement bits can be purchased in quantity from HermansCentral.

When I first got the Dowelmax it looked so nice I almost didn't want to use it. The accuracy of the "checkmark" system is very precise right out of the box. For frame & panel component using M&T I typically leave horns, in part so I don't blow out the mortise sidewall. With the Dowelmax, the end grain to long grain joints lined up so well I didn't get to use my trusted planes to trim or level the joint.
    Attached Images Attached Images