Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who ever heard of SELLER's remorse?

Who ever heard of SELLER's remorse?

So, I saw a "Wanted: DeWalt Planer" ad on the local Craigslist yesterday, had been thinking for 6 months about one of the new Grizzly G0454 20" planers.

I bit the bullet and called the guy - turns out he'd been to look at several and was pretty picky about condition. My price was high as I figure: he came to me...right? Anyhow, he was impressed with the condition and bought it on the spot without even running a board through. On his way out the door, he offered to buy my Rigid 6" Jointer, also in good condition. He didn't have the cash with him, but will come back for it this week. I posted another ad for a 5hp motor I've had sitting around and a guy's on his way now, and with the three sales, I've got about $1200 towards my new...what?

I spent awhile drooling online over the Grizzly G0633 jointer/planer, and then some more on the Jet 708475 combo but then...

I sat in the shop this evening, looking around, and I realize I'm going to miss my bright yellow lunchbox planer and my little orange quirky jointer with the PITA blade adjustment. I don't have the feeling I did when, say, I brought the PM2000 home to replace the old Craftsman. If anything, I'd say I've got more remorse than anything.

It's weird - neither of these two tools has any special significance to me, I haven't had them more than a couple of years - they just feel like hobby tools, and the new combos look like they belong in a nice Pro shop, not my dingy-but-comfy erstwhile barn.

Sorta feels like I'm kicking old friends out because I'm tired of them...y'know? Not sure why all of a sudden I feel like I'll miss them, but the shop feels empty and cold. Maybe that will all disappear instantly when $2000 worth of "new arn" comes rolling in the door, but it just feels strange, and for the first time in my life I don't feel excited about a new tool. Does that mean I shouldn't buy a new combo?

Maybe it means I'm really, really sick.

Tell you what: Have the combo delivered to my house & I'll send you my DW735 & Delta X5 6" jointer.

You'll feel a whole lot better. Well, at least one of us will.
    "If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably a wise investment."

There's gotta be a 12 step program for sellers remorse.
    Hi my name is David I sold all my tools.
    Let us know if the feeling goes away when the delivery truck pulls into your driveway.
    David B

Nathan, get the combo. You're welcome to come by my place and check mine out. Now that I have one I can't believe I was ever happy with the smaller separate machines I used to use.

You will be very very happy when the new tools show up. At least you sold them before getting new. That should help some psyche moments.

Makes sense to me. Irrational or not, we have a connection with the things we spend time with. When they are gone, it's sad.

I won't tell you what I did after I sold my good bicycle, but that was part of giving up a sport I loved because my knees had gone out.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

I know how you feel- years ago I rode dirt bikes ( motorcycles ) When I graduate from high school and faced college I realized I needed money more than a bike. I sold mine to a good friend for a fair price. He even told me I could use it when I wanted- most of my riding was with him and his son. I felt like I had lost my best friend! Long story short- after college I ended up buying a wonderful, high performance bike and never looked back! enjoy your new arn, treasure the memories of the old!

Nathan.
    I too share your pain about sellers remorse.. I'm frightfully attached to many inanimate objects. Like my going on 11 year old truck now, won't sell it simply cause I love it.... that truck has been a better friend to me than alot of people, it owes me nothing & been paid for going on 7 years. I could head over to the Toyota dealer (always been a Toyota guy) directly next door to my work and walk off the lot with a shiny new one, but it won't replace MY truck.
    I sold the first truck I had when I was graduated highschool and I still complain to this day I wish I had that one back too & that was in 1992.

Greg

We often mourn the familiar...but you'll just love that nice new J/P in your shop...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nathan,

You may want to try a different combo altogether--e.g. Zoloft/Welbutrin.

regardless of your "relationship" with those tools, you have done a certain amount of work on them and with them and they are part of every piece that was built by using those tools. those machines are connected to more than just your memories of the machines themselves. they are connected to those pieces and the memories of those pieces, people that received them, the point in your life at which you built those pieces, etc.

you will remember a piece not only by what it is and when you built it, but also by what tools you used to build it and the experiences you had while building.

the guy i bought my jointer from had to stop and pause before i drove away. im sure he remembered all the work he had done on that machine. he told me to give it a good home and i told him i would take good care of it. i do just that.

v/r

dan
    Last edited by Dan Barr; 01-03-2008 at 10:19 AM.
    Building my own Legos!

I Know The Feeling

I have my first PC Dovetail Jig sitting on a shelf in my shop - I haven't used it in years - I do not even do a lot of dovetailing (I build custom exterior doors) - I own a Leigh and love it - I have had friends and even a few customers see it - Ask me if i was still using it - And would I sell it - I always say no - lol - I even remember fighting and swearing at the thing trying to get it set correctly and to hold its setting for multiple pieces - But - There it sits - An old friend - I don't know how I would feel if I walked past the shelf where it sits and it wasn't there

Keep us informed about your decision. I've been drooling over the G0633 since my Grizzly catalog came and could see it in my shop someday as a space saver over having two machines.

Blog Entries
    I have a hard time throwing away small scrapps of hardwood and old sand paper. I'll REALLY have a difficult time if I get rid of any tools. I too would like one of those combo machines though.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

This thread has reminded me of the 'boneyard' box taking up space in my garage/shop, full of old tools that bit the dust. My first Bosch jigsaw, Dewalt drills, etc. that I will never take the time to restore and I haven't had the heart to give away yet. Sounds like a New Year's resolution, I just might have to send them along to someone with more interest in getting them to work. In answer to your initial post, I agree with the above posters, I think one of the reason woodworkers are woodworkers are that we connect with the souls of the semi-living(wood) and innate, and its tough to one degree or another for many of us to disconnect that switch when moving on. Its good to have bittersweet feelings about the old tools, but theres no cure for an old 'girlfriend' like a new one. Your new tools are going to snap you right out of your funk and the old ones will discover new life in the hands of someone more excited about them.

Good luck! Have Fun!