Thread: Spiral Pipe Users - What's 'yer gauge?

Spiral Pipe Users - What's 'yer gauge?

I have finally found a local source for spiral pipe after much digging and asking around. Most of the HVAC suppliers would not tell me only "they only sell wholesale" - which I suspected was a crock. Sure enough, once I got to the "source" they were a cheery bunch and only too happy to take my money.

I'd like to find out what gauge you fellows are using for your spiral ducting - I have seen 24gauge on the Penn State site for their premimum brand, but have since seen references from 22 up to 28.

Thanks !

Lewis

Due to nature of how these spiral pipes are made with one lip of the steel being folded and crimped onto the other edge, even the light gauge stuff is very strong. I believe the stuff I have is 28 gauge and a very large man (me) can easilly stand on it....

24-26 gage should be just fine for your application. I don't know that I'd go to 28 but it sounds like it's workable based on Chris' comments.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Lewis,

I just finished installing my 4" ducting using Penn State's heavy duty spiral pipe which they claim is 24 gauge. Its really beefy, heavy and stiff. I can stand on it without collapsing it. (I'm about 150 lbs.) Great product!

I found the easiest and most accurate way for me to cut it was to tape off the cut mark and use a 4' thin blade grinding wheel on my hand held grind/sander. Then minimal filing and light sanding of the edge. All my connections are riveted and then taped.

Cheers,

Kent

The piping I got from Spiral Mfg is 24 gauge.

Gents - thanks very much for the feedback. The place I was talking to said that the 26gauge was the most common but they can do 24 as well for an extra .30 a foot or so. I think I'll go for the 24gauge.

I am not sure if the place does fittings like the die stamped ones that Spiral mfg sells but I am liking those type so may order my fittings from them. Can anyone give me some rough pricing for the 90s, 45s, and the wyes, and maybe even a cross lateral from Spiral?

Cheers,
    Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Cobb View Post
    I have finally found a local source for spiral pipe after much digging and asking around. Most of the HVAC suppliers would not tell me only "they only sell wholesale" - which I suspected was a crock. Sure enough, once I got to the "source" they were a cheery bunch and only too happy to take my money.

I'd like to find out what gauge you fellows are using for your spiral ducting - I have seen 24gauge on the Penn State site for their premimum brand, but have since seen references from 22 up to 28.

Thanks !

Lewis
    The 28 guage spiral pipe and even 30 gauge fittings are fine for small shop applications. As Chris Del shared the way spiral pipe is made ends up with even the lighter gauges working just fine. I would not use less than 26-gauge snap lock pipe. bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pentz View Post
    The 28 guage spiral pipe and even 30 gauge fittings are fine for small shop applications. As Chris Del shared the way spiral pipe is made ends up with even the lighter gauges working just fine. I would not use less than 26-gauge snap lock pipe. bill

Hey Bill - Here I was trying to give you a break and not torment you with my ducting questions but you show up and answer me in the forums - haha. Thanks very much.

Lewis