Thread: Source for thick veneer?

Source for thick veneer?

Hi everyone,

Just found this forum and joined yesterday. What an outstanding resource!

I'm getting ready to reface our kitchen cabinets, and have been thinking that I'd sure like to use a fairly thick birch veneer of around 1/8" (c. 3mm). Can anyone point me to some good sources? I could make my own, and might end up going that route, but the project is already going to be time-consuming enough as it is -- and my wife's patience only goes so far. Also, cutting my own with a table saw limits the largest possible width to only a few inches.

I've considered just going the standard route with thin paper-backed veneer or plywood, but if I can find a source for thick veneer I'd definitely prefer it. I'm not looking for a supplier with super-exotic stuff. Birch is my primary choice; maple or cherry would be other possibilities.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Craig Haggart
    Sunnyvale, California

Craig

Try these guys oout.

http://www.foremostwood.com/Products%20Main.htm

They make thin lumber for stave core doors.

Also if you do it yourself remember you have 2x your saw hieght if you flip the board after the first pass. On most table saws that would be about 6" or so.

Hope that helps.

Quinn

Google "Thin cut lumber" - another source is South Shore Millwork - I haven't used any of them but this place and Foremost certainly seem like the real deal. Good luck.

Thanks for the quick responses! I figured there was somebody out there selling what I need.

Good tip on the search term, Doug. I had tried "thick veneer" without getting any satisfactory results; it never occurred to me to try "thin cut lumber."

And thanks for the reminder about resawing thckness, Quinn. I'm still hoping for at least some pieces much wider than 6", though. One of my base cabinets has an uninterrupted width of several feet (it's part of a peninsula), and there are several very visible ends that are probably 18"-20" or so.
    Craig Haggart
    Sunnyvale, California

What about usung door skin? I've seen it locally in mahogany but I'm sure somebody makes it in maple or birch.
    Use the fence Luke

Craig,

Post your city/state and perhaps an SMC member is nearby who has a bandsaw!! You could then slice your own and really match everything nicely! Welcome to SMC!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Doug, the door skin idea is a good one. Mahogany is actually fine, as my wife liked the look of some birch that I stained to look like mahogany so we might go with that anyway.

Chris, I'm in Sunnyvale, California (San Francisco Bay Area). My "sig file" is supposed to say this and it shows up on my system, but maybe certain browser display settings make it not show up. It's also supposed to be displayed in the "profile" area in the upper right corner (although that isn't showing up on my system).

There's actually a rent-a-shop near me called the Sawdust Shop where I could do the resawing myself on a band saw for $30/hour. But right now I'd rather find a supplier, as the time vs. money tradeoff is currently in favor of buying some thick veneer instead of making it. But of course that can always change...!
    Craig Haggart
    Sunnyvale, California

43 Norway Spruce Street, Stittsville, Ont, Canada
    You could check around to see if there are any small sawmill operators in your area who'd be willing to cut some veneer for you? Most of the smaller portable band sawmills will cut to as thin as 1/16". Cutting 1/8" is pretty easy ... I know 'cause I tried it on my own sawmill just to see if I could...

cheers eh?

Here You Go

Try this link - I have used it myself

http://www.woodfinder.com

One More Thing

I just noticed your in Sunnyvale, CA. - Your not far from one of the best sources of all types of veneer - They are in Oakland, CA.

http://www.exotichardwoods.com/index2.htm

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about, Frank! Thanks a million; it's just the sort of place I was hoping to find. This forum is wonderful!
    Craig Haggart
    Sunnyvale, California

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    You could try http://certainlywood.com/. They have a large selection and if they don't have it listed they can get it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Killian View Post
    That looks like a great place, Al. Sure would be fun to poke around their inventory! I didn't see anything on their web site that mentions veneer thickness, though.
    Craig Haggart
    Sunnyvale, California

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    It is better to contact them and state that you need _ _ _ _ " stock in _ _ _ _ brand. Then the will go and look to see if they have it or if they can order it. For me it is a 12 minute ride, then Igrt to drool all over the stuff.