Thread: Any Ideas for drum sander outfeed

Any Ideas for drum sander outfeed

I have been struggling with how to setup a outfeed table roller something for my Delta 18-36. When i bought the delta i thought that the conveyor belt moving the material to the sander head was the way to go. the thought I had was that this would leave less chance for deflection in the head assembley. I don't know how true that is but the sander has been awsome for short board(less than say 4 feet). The longer and thicker the board means the pressure rollers just don't have enough pressure to hold the board down. With the delta the outfeed roller or table idea works but must be adjustable and every time you make a pass it has to be reset. Does anyone have a idea that would attach to the sander or work without constant adjustment.
    Last edited by Grant Charlick; 01-03-2008 at 8:34 PM.

No.

Not much help, I know.

I haven't received my drum sander yet but what about making a tripod roller stand that uses a semi-precision adjustment. Either a screw mechanism (like a screw jack) or a rack like a drill press.

You would still have to adjust it each time but adjusting it would be a bit easier I bet.

Of course with the light passes on a sander you could probably set the roller once and run a few passes with it easy enough.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz View Post
    No.

Not much help, I know.

I haven't received my drum sander yet but what about making a tripod roller stand that uses a semi-precision adjustment. Either a screw mechanism (like a screw jack) or a rack like a drill press.

You would still have to adjust it each time but adjusting it would be a bit easier I bet.

Of course with the light passes on a sander you could probably set the roller once and run a few passes with it easy enough.

Joe
    thanks for the idea, might be my only option

In / Out feed for sander

I sent a PM to Grant. But if anyone wants pics of the setup I made for my Rioby E-mail me. it's a roller setup, adjustable out to 31" away from the table and stores under the sander and out if the way when not being used. I know the delta's table moves but this might be adapted to it.
    Happy Sawdust
    Dale

Dale, why don't you post them here?

Grant, I had the folding infeed/outfeed tables from Delta. They added 12/14" to each side of the conveyor table and helped a lot.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

my thought

i would biuld in/outfeed tables . i would then set the sander between them.then run the board through 1 or 2 times . i would then raise the table and shim the board with countertop laminete on the infeed and out feed table -sand and repeat.one thickness of lamenate should be okay on the sander per one to two passes. also being counter lamanite it shouldnt produce much if any drag . i hope this makes sense .

tom

Another idea would be to use an outfeed of laminate that has a pair of "cleats" that set into matching channels on an adjustable tripod. By shimming under the cleats (like Grant suggests) it would accomplish the same thing.

Two passes of 1/64th each would equal one piece of vertical grade laminate.

Interesting

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

dale, you can get a small in out feed set up from delta for about $60, these will help quite a bit. They are mdf tops with a metal bracket system. I've been tooling around with the idea of mounting angle to the cast iron bottom that would extend 2 to 3 feet out. my idea was to use the same brackets that the delta tables use. your sander is already set to add an outfeet system. Post when you come up with an answer. i've got two of these sanders waiting for outfeed set ups.
    HPIM0711.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Jason Belous" View Post
    dale, you can get a small in out feed set up from delta for about $60, these will help quite a bit. They are mdf tops with a metal bracket system. I've been tooling around with the idea of mounting angle to the cast iron bottom that would extend 2 to 3 feet out. my idea was to use the same brackets that the delta tables use. your sander is already set to add an outfeet system. Post when you come up with an answer. i've got two of these sanders waiting for outfeed set ups.
    HPIM0711.jpg
    where did you get these in feed tables at right from delta or another source.

It sounds like it's a lot like the planer I picked up. The table moves so the infeed/outfeed have to be attached to the table in order to be useful. My planer had screw holes on the sides to mount some rollers I could pick up, but they were pretty pricey.

I just setup some mdf tables myself and screwed them in. Maybe you can figure out some method of mounting them to the sides of the existing table.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Grant Charlick View Post
    where did you get these in feed tables at right from delta or another source.
    Most places that sell Delta equipment can order them for you, if they don't have them in stock. It's well worth it.

Also, replace the MDF tables they provide with longer 3/4 plywood (or mdf) tables. The instructions tell you the max length that you can make your own.. I no longer have this sander, so I don't remember, but I think you can add another 6-10" or so to each table.

thanks paul I'll try my supplier

grant, if your supplier does not have the tables. you can get them directly from delta. They also make a neumatic drum for the sides of the sanders that you can purchase from delta

Where

I've looked everywhere, including Delta Customer Support, and I can't find the outfeed tables for this sander anyhwere. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Jim