Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Valley lawsuit...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz View Post
    Is the shipping industry socialized in Canada and fully government run?

Normally when someone over charges in a business someone else starts a competitive business and charges a bit less.

Unless the post is the only service available because of some restriction then I have a hard time feeling bad for them, even if it costs me more. Free market and all that jazz.

If I don't like what little Johnny charges to cut my grass I will go to his friend and have him do it.

Joe

Edit: Just to add that is assuming the prices are well laid out and it isn't some under the blanket scam after the fact.
    Actually, Socialized is Fully Government.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    Actually, Socialized is Fully Government.
    Looks like little Johnny doesn't need to look over his shoulder.

Gary

I'm failing to see what's wrong with Leonard Lee's request. He runs a business, and the purpose of a business first and foremost is to make a profit. Without that, all of the warm fuzzy things that people think about when they think of a company they like (if you buy from them, that you like their deals, service, products, ... and if you work for them, that you like going to work) don't exist.

Life is getting tougher for LV because of the exchange rate, so Leonard is trying to recover costs that he genuinely shouldn't have had. Seems reasonable to me. It looks like canada post was basically just throwing their weight around and telling customers that they would hold them responsible for something, but wouldn't take care of the converse.

What would you do if it was your money?

Lee Valley gives people unsuspected refunds after the fact...people are giddy.

Lee Valley expects money back form over-charge...he's greedy????

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    Does this mean that all future packages from Lee Valley are likely to be accidentally dropped, repeatedly and from great heights, by Canada Post?
    I know you're kidding, but just FYI, this only affects Canadians. For product shipped to the states, I understand that Lee Valley first trucks the items over the border, and then uses a US-based shipping method.
    "It's Not About You."

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz View Post
    Is the shipping industry socialized in Canada and fully government run?
    Unless the post is the only service available because of some restriction then I have a hard time feeling bad for them, even if it costs me more. Free market and all that jazz.
    If I don't like what little Johnny charges to cut my grass I will go to his friend and have him do it.
    Joe
    The government use to run Canada Post as what they call a Crown Corporation. It is no longer a Crown Corporation, but it still has a mandate to provide a service to all Canadians.

When you live in the second largest country in the world, it is pretty hard to make a profit delivering mail.

Same thing with the airline Air Canada. Prices aren't cheap, but they have to fly into small markets to provide a vital service, and by so doing, they loose money.

Last time I checked UPS didn't deliver at the North Pole.

The concept of fair trade and open markets assumes that everyone is operating on a level playing field, which is never the case. China case in point, keeping their currency off the market.

Lee Valley provide a service that we woodworkers want, but at the cost of "No Sales- 50% Off". So we pay for it, and we pay for Canada Post not doing the right thing. If Canada Post wanted the $$$$ all they had to do was raise the price to be fair and open and honest. All these things seem to be what we all like about Lee Valley Tools.