Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question about beer

I'm with Ken--a big fan of the Budweiser! (Especially since I work for A-B!)

My original post in this thread was about Bud. MY wife and I go to her uncles house and he has a tapper in the basement. He loves Bud. They tend to go through quite a bit of beer on a weekly basis-sometimes a 1/2 barrel worth or more. Like I said the draft kills me but they also have an emergency stash of Bud cans in case the keg runs out. So I drink the cans. He'd really prefers me to drink draft since it's cheaper but then I wouldn't be any fun 'cause I'd end up in the guest room bed after taking a few Excedrin.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Most of my mileage anymore seems to be to the bathroom weather I drink much beer or not. You did get to me though . Now I think I'll walk back behind the house to one of two bars we have back there and have a good cold mug of Leinie's. Later Steve

Ooh--that doesn't sound like much fun! I'd still look at the condition of the lines. As an experiment, you might try a Bud draft at Applebee's (they typically have very clean draft lines) and see if you get the same results. Good luck!

Beer

I'm 65 now --yes the taster changes with age --and so does everything else ya got --enjoy while you can for tomorrow all ya can do is turn wood ha !

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Just for the record.....I'm a Bud guy......or an Old Style guy.....but before Clabo or Karl jumps in....I'll drink Leinie

Whew...!!!
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee alot."
    -Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

8. Some years ago I had a spell of years where I was a Beer fanatic and got to brewing my own 'cause the only stuff I could tolerate wasn't sold in the USA. Back then the best available was either Paulie Girl or Becks. So I can tell you that yah there's a difference but it's not in the CO2.

The CO2 used to charge "draft" beer in the SST carboy (keg) is the same chemically pure stuff they put in bottled beer.

When a Big company like Bud or Heinikin Etc makes beer there is no difference between their so called "draft" their bottled or canned beer. Same stuff same process just a different delivery system.

The "draft" isn't even real "draft" it's merely beer that gets charged with CO2 at the time it's pumped into the glass. That's it. End of difference.

On the other hand a beer with yeast in the bottom is a more truely"draft" than the stuff in the big SST carboys. It went through a ferment in the bottle to charge it with CO2 (the by product of yeasts having lunch).

It is however, possible that you can get a SST carboy and a bottle from the same company and the Beer in them can be different. But, it'll be by accident either because one batch was made wrong or differently (another world for wrong) or the storage of the Carboy or the Bottle was bad - OR - that SST carboy you are calling "draft" was not cleaned well and there are wild contaminants spoiling the beer. That latter is the most probable reason why there might be something off about the beer in the keg.

So I'm guessing you got a dirty keg.

When Bud was still using real sugar I liked it as a nice light traditional American Rice Beer. Good for a summer picnic where there would kids and women and a lighter easier beer was more appropriate. Then they went with Corn syrup and now it's got a mouth feel that I can only describe a gluey. The flavor got cloying too. Can't drink it any more.

I pretty much can't drink anything with HFCS the stuff is like elmer's glue with bad sugar in it.

On passover you can get Kosher Coke made with real sugar in the large bottle with the yellow cap. Try it next to a regular Coke. The difference will slay you. One will be gluey the other crisp and clean.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JayStPeter View Post
    I think little mini Budweiser Clydesdales gallop on my brain the day after I drink Bud.
    Jay, Life is TOO short to drink Bad Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Campbell View Post
    Did you know that the average middle age male in America drinks about 24 gallons of beer a year. TSteve
    Steve, Here in NH the number is closer to 50 gal/pr. "And I hellpp'd."

We are #2 to Utah thou.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    Some years ago I had a spell of years where I was a Beer fanatic and got to brewing my own 'cause the only stuff I could tolerate wasn't sold in the USA. Back then the best available was either Paulie Girl or Becks. So I can tell you that yah there's a difference but it's not in the CO2.

The CO2 used to charge "draft" beer in the SST carboy (keg) is the same chemically pure stuff they put in bottled beer.

When a Big company like Bud or Heinikin Etc makes beer there is no difference between their so called "draft" their bottled or canned beer. Same stuff same process just a different delivery system.

The "draft" isn't even real "draft" it's merely beer that gets charged with CO2 at the time it's pumped into the glass. That's it. End of difference.

On the other hand a beer with yeast in the bottom is a more truely"draft" than the stuff in the big SST carboys. It went through a ferment in the bottle to charge it with CO2 (the by product of yeasts having lunch).

It is however, possible that you can get a SST carboy and a bottle from the same company and the Beer in them can be different. But, it'll be by accident either because one batch was made wrong or differently (another world for wrong) or the storage of the Carboy or the Bottle was bad - OR - that SST carboy you are calling "draft" was not cleaned well and there are wild contaminants spoiling the beer. That latter is the most probable reason why there might be something off about the beer in the keg.

So I'm guessing you got a dirty keg.

When Bud was still using real sugar I liked it as a nice light traditional American Rice Beer. Good for a summer picnic where there would kids and women and a lighter easier beer was more appropriate. Then they went with Corn syrup and now it's got a mouth feel that I can only describe a gluey. The flavor got cloying too. Can't drink it any more.

I pretty much can't drink anything with HFCS the stuff is like elmer's glue with bad sugar in it.

On passover you can get Kosher Coke made with real sugar in the large bottle with the yellow cap. Try it next to a regular Coke. The difference will slay you. One will be gluey the other crisp and clean.
    He pretty much nailed it on the head.

I brew a little at home and can clarify on a couple of things he mentioned. After I brew the beer, it goes into a 7 gallon glass carboy with a specific strain of yeast that matches the style I am brewing. After about 7 days the yeast is exhausted from a long drunken orgy of converting sugars into alcohol and lies, for the most part, dead at the bottom of the carboy. Next, a quick shot of corn sugar or dried malt extract is boiled in some water and added to the bottling bucket, which is nothing fancier than a 6 gallon bucket with a spigot. The wort (young beer) is poured vigorously (to help oxygenate the beer) through a strainer to catch any remaining particles and into the bottling bucket. This small amount of sugar will perk up the yeast and allow a secondary fermentation to take place in the bottle, giving you a real beer with natural carbonation.

Home brewing may scare some, but it is much easier than it sounds. Respectable homebrew stores will sell you full equipment kits and clone kits so you can reproduce your favorite beers. You can also convince LOML that it is worth while because it is much cheaper than buying it from the store and makes a wonderful gift at dinner parties!

3 cents... adjusted for fuel surcharges

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

I'm also in the crowd that thinks the taste of some has changed. I drank my fair share of Bud decades ago, but now just one makes my head pound, that is if I can manage to swallow it and keep it down. Now I go for more full bodied beers, Sam Adams Black Lager being a current favorite, or the home brews one of my buddies makes... he usually has 3 or 4 different flavors going at a time. Had some nice nut brown and hefeweizen over the weekend, and a little blueberry wine. Not being one to drink too much anymore, I go for quality over quantity. Nothing like a good hearty beer on a cold winter night with the fireplace going, in my chair with my feet up and the rodeo on the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    I'm wondering about this because my dad, who literally grew up around the liquor/beer/bar business, has told me otherwise. He said lower end beers, like Budweiser, do indeed vary between bottle and keg. Dad claims the keg stuff is brewed for beer bars for maximum profit. Thus, it's of even lower quality than the bottled stuff. I admit I can't verify this, but I think it's interesting. Dad claims the premium beers do not vary in quality between bottle and keg.

I don't mean to slam Bud, or any other beer. Personally, I can't stand the stuff, but if you like it, you like it. Colorado has an endless selection of great local brews. If you see Fat Tire or Avalanche in your area, I highly recommend them. I don't know anyone here who drinks Coors.

The sugar issue with cola is also interesting. Most people, including me, claim Coke and Pepsi made with cane sugar tastes much better than the corn syrup stuff. Yet, both Coca-Cola and PepsiCo insist they've done extensive research and concluded there's no difference in taste. Personally, I think the profit margin for the corn syrup stuff is so much higher than the cane sugar version, they don't care and will say anything to keep the corn syrup flowing.

FYI, I'm told by locals if you visit a Mexican market, they almost always sell Coke and Pepsi in the small glass bottles and it's the good stuff made with cane sugar.

Drink more than 4 draft beers and you'll be OK. Only joking. I love beer on tap better than bottled..Guess I'd stick to bottled if i were u...
    Remember the old joke: what's the difference between a hot babe and a ugly pig? 6 Beers..
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Cope View Post
    I'm with Ken--a big fan of the Budweiser! (Especially since I work for A-B!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Cope View Post
    Ooh--that doesn't sound like much fun! I'd still look at the condition of the lines. As an experiment, you might try a Bud draft at Applebee's (they typically have very clean draft lines) and see if you get the same results. Good luck!
    A good friend of mine is an AB wholesaler and I know that his salemen clean the on-premise draft lines on a regular basis.

AB is also very good at getting rid of older beer from the shelves and replacing it with fresh beer.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    IIf you see Fat Tire or Avalanche in your area, I highly recommend them.
    Fat Tire is one of my favorites when I'm working in the Denver area...good stuff.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...