Thread: Color me Stupid...but...

Color me Stupid...but...

Here are the pics of the sander I was talking about in a previous post http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=72690 Looks like a bearing to me. But then I've only been working with bearings since I was 11 years old. It is the Woodcraft model for $29.99. I know they say in their description that it has a brass ferrule but this is no brass ferrule. Maybe they heard all the complaints.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Yep Chris that one is different then mine. Does it look like one of the pics I posted on the other thread?

Bob

Ps. Chris once again we meant no offence to you with our comments they were directed at the flawed product not you.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Hallowell; 01-05-2008 at 9:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hallowell View Post
    Yep Chris that one is different then mine. Does it look like one of the pics I posted on the other thread?

Bob

Ps. Chris once again we meant no offence to you with our comments they were directed at the flawed product not you.

Bob
    No offense taken Bob, I was a bit unsettled by the tone of some since I was only trying to help some of our new folks but then I guess they were too by not wanting anyone to waist their money and I have to appreciate that. It looks exactly like the pics you posted. Thanks,

Looks like a bearing, smells like a bearing, must be a .... bearing.
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

Chris,
    I looked at my sander again and found that I mis-spoke. Mine had a single bearing on the work side but the problem comes in on the opposite side where there is steel-on-steel. A second bearing would not cost but a few cents more and would make the tool last a lot longer and worth buying another one when you wore the first one out. As it is, I wore it out and Woodcraft didn't get the oportunity to sell me another one.

And, above all, I wasn't criticizing you or your report at all. I just wanted to let future buyers know that the concept was good but the implimentation wasn't up to the job. It was the first thing I had ever bought at Woodcraft that I wasn't satisfied with and hoped to stop others from blindly dropping $30 for something that was only half-baked.
    Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry Pittman; 01-05-2008 at 1:49 PM. Reason: spelling

The One I Had Was A Sorby And Had Bronze Oilits.and It Still Wore Out The Shaft. This Looks Looks Like A Good One. Happy Sanding & Happy New Year.

I just got one from craft supplies usa & it looks the very same as that one. Probably the same chinese source. Mine says "dual ball bearings" on the package. I ordered it before I saw the threads on the shafts wearing out. Hopefully the bearings aren't cheap.

Bearings, berings, bearings!

My sander is from PSI, but would swear that it is the same one as the woodcraft. It is also steel on steel. Since I have only used it two or three times, it doesn't show wear yet. Some one with machining wxpierence should, or could maybe get a couple router bearings and insert them in the block and see what happens. Those bearings come in various sizes with the needed 1/4vc in hole. I would rather pay another fifty bucks for a tool, than have to throw it away after a few uses.
    Bob

Rorert Inline Skate Weel Bearings 1/4" Id. Lacal Bearing Supplier Should Have Them. Make Sure Thay Are Totaly Seald. (contact Seals)

My apologies too, Chris. Those look like bearings to me. Probably be well worth the money for some who are looking for an easier way to sand.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Could you let me know the percentages for RBG aor CMYK for stupid? I cannot seem to find that color in Photoshop or the wife's Pantone book.

But seriously, thoose look like bearings to me. And I have a lot less experience with them than you.
    -------------

"Just a little bit of a curve will add to its fondleability." - John H.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim A. Mitchell View Post
    Could you let me know the percentages for RBG aor CMYK for stupid? I cannot seem to find that color in Photoshop or the wife's Pantone book.

But seriously, thoose look like bearings to me. And I have a lot less experience with them than you.
    Hmm, interesting concept. If you want it in HTML code it is #STUPID (not really)

Hey everyone, no apologies are necessary I understand the intent was helping others. It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Pittman View Post
    Chris,
    ...A second bearing would not cost but a few cents more and would make the tool last a lot longer and worth buying another one when you wore the first one out. As it is, I wore it out and Woodcraft didn't get the oportunity to sell me another one...
    I'm with you Jerry, if a manufacturer is going to make something then they need to do it right and an extra five bucks or so retail is worth it all. The other thing is our suppliers should know better as well. That's what happens when revenue becomes unequally more important than customer service.