Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Day Job

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    I have six of these and everything in betweem that I look after.
    After 34 years I'm 58 days from retirement.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...4&d=1102636892
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Blog Entries
    In my car audio shop I build woofer boxes, custom doors, consoles and just about anything you can dream up as well as a few things you better leave up to me. I was a framer in the past but it was too hard on my back. As far as my buggies go, no wood to be found but great for hunting for wood.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell View Post
    I have six of these and everything in betweem that I look after. ....
    Umm Tyler. I count eight vehicles in that parking lot.

Didja get a promotion as inducement to forget about retirement?
    Only the Blue Roads

Work for Indiana University in the Facilities Management Department maintaining HVAC systems as well the energy management computer. I also work on the boilers and chiller systems. And when I'm not needed for that I'm a Wood worker and run the wood shop at the university.

I have always been in to woodworking, starting out at age 15, and learned from my dad loud speaker construction using Electro-Voice drivers. That lead me to cabinet and furniture making.
    Cool Place, this Sawmill Creek.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo View Post
    Fred...
    As an old sailor...I'm impressed. I know people don't generally think that "lagging" can be anything but functional...but if you spend 12-18 hours a day staring at the stuff...you get to know good work.
    Thank you sir. I try to do my best....but then, 31 years in the trade ought to make anyone at least fairly good.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

I'm currently a factory rat at Ford Sterling gear and axle plant. Been there since Oct 25 1999. Before that I worked at Coca-Cola for 11 years. Had to leave- couldn't stand dealing with the public anymore. And I don't lke getting robbed at gunpoint which happened twice. I would have shot 'em but big business frowns on that behavoir and they don't allow employees to carry weapons. We must comply and become sheeple.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I work for Sandia National Laboratories, a large government science R&D facility. I assemble, test, flight certify, test, field, test and launch Re-entry Vehicles for the Missile Defense Agency. The payload flies on a modified Polaris missile to which we add a third stage. Launches are usually out of Kodiak, Alaska but sometimes out of Vandenberg AFB in California and PMRF/Barking Sands range in Kauai, Hawaii.
    I've been making wood chips most of my life.
    Bruce,
    My eldest son works for Sandia in New Mexico. Not sure what he does there. He has been there for a year or so. He retired from the Air Force.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    Bruce,
    My eldest son works for Sandia in New Mexico. Not sure what he does there. He has been there for a year or so. He retired from the Air Force.
    I'm trying to remember if I know any Baker's there. There's about 8000 of us. What's his first name?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

His first name is Gary. He is probably know all over Sandia as the guy that just became a father of his ninth child.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    His first name is Gary. He is probably know all over Sandia as the guy that just became a father of his ninth child.
    Nine kids! It was all I could do to raise three!
    I'll look him up on Monday.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

IT guy - Doing WebSphere problem management right now, 11yr AIX admin before that, Pursuing IT architecture management. I work to afford the toys and my first (only child so far) daughter turned 1ysld today (Saturday 1/5/2007).

Well I made wooden hand planes for 8 years. it was my day job but never really made a living at it. now I run my cnc router and do all kinds of things and I am starting to make a living.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Sheet Metal Worker

I install HVAC systems in commercial and industrial buildings. I have been doing this, in some way or another, for 40 years. I have been in the Sheet Metal Workers Union for 35 years, so now I can retire at 55 yo. Don't get in my way as time get close to December 1, 2008. I can and do plan on retiring from the construction industry 12-01-08. Been a wanna be WWer since 7th grade but did not persue it until '03 when my Dad died, I got most of his tools. Now I can't ask him any questions.
    Randy

Don't worry abuot tommorrow, it may never arrive
    Don't fret over yesterdays mistake, you can't undo them
    Just live today the best you can.

This IS my day job!!
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I am a Process Engineering Technician for a semiconductor company. I help create manufacturing processes for computer chips. Remember those Intel commercials with the dancing people in the space suits. That's me but I don't work for Intel