Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Day Job

Your Day Job

I started a like titled thread in a contributer only forum and got loads of replies. Some wanted to see what the reponse would be from an forum that is open to all...so here goes.

Many of use here are part time woodworkers or, in my case, a wanna be WW. So the question begs to be asked "What do you do in your day job?"

Thanks for sharing!

Oops...first edit as I forgot to share what I do!

I work for a large oil drilling contractor repairing and building oil rigs for the offshore drilling industry. Prior to that, I designed compressors and compressor packages from 30 Hp up to 5,000 Hp. As for my WW resume, I have built a few pieces of firewood but nothing that really makes me satisfied. I am buying my tools now and hope to have a shop setup soon.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Foley; 01-05-2008 at 12:33 PM.

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    Well up till 8 years ago I was a raod side deisel tech. I got to plat in the mud, snow and slush fixing tractor trailers and sometime earth moveing equipment. Then I blew my back out. I went back to school for elecetronics and couldnt do that either(Car acceident, tore my shoulder apart). So after two shopulder surgeries and one back operation, I sit home and pretend to make things when i'm felling good.

Blog Entries
    Well, my daytime job is the owner of Audio 2000 and WYCO offroad center. It's amazing that I even have time to pick up a piece of wood.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Heavy vehicle development engineer. I'm the lucky guy who gets to test drive all test trucks with our new suspensions.
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute

** Quick note on why this is not in the Off Topic Forum **

The thread is related to what type of WWer you are and how you got into it (at least that is the intent). So please share!
    Last edited by Chris Foley; 01-05-2008 at 1:20 PM.

I work for Fedex, I am the Network, PC, Server, Hubs, Routers, TV system, Telephone system and just about anything that plugs into the wall tech, but then there is the wireless stuff that doesn't plug into the wall

I work at the Alliance Fort Worth hub in Fort Worth, Texas.

I am planning on retiring in about 3 years so last year I started looking at something I would enjoy doing at that time. I found that I really enjoyed WW and just kept working at it and some day I may be one. At this point in WW I am just learning everything I can and building small items at this time. Now when I do become a WW I may build something larger then a small box....

59403945_P429401901.jpg 67782770_v04c40Dt_P930789901.jpg

77078476_DQ5ryAss.jpg
    Last edited by Bill Huber; 01-05-2008 at 1:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Foley View Post
    Gary,

The thread is also related to what type of WWer you are and how you got into it (at least that is the intent).
    I deleted my post. The intent is worthwhile....while I personally see alot of pretentiousness.
    Gary

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I work for Sandia National Laboratories, a large government science R&D facility. I assemble, test, flight certify, test, field, test and launch Re-entry Vehicles for the Missile Defense Agency. The payload flies on a modified Polaris missile to which we add a third stage. Launches are usually out of Kodiak, Alaska but sometimes out of Vandenberg AFB in California and PMRF/Barking Sands range in Kauai, Hawaii.
    I've been making wood chips most of my life.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I'm in the IT industry working for a data warehouse company. My day job is a Unix Systems Engineer. Been doing unix type work for about 30 years now.

Got into woodworking because I was raised on a far and it was necessary to keep the farm "working". Started refinishing furniture in high school and kept advancing in skills and tools ever since.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I'm coming up on 37 years in and around the Navy...as the US Navy Submarine Weapons Launching Systems Technical Program Manager. Military way of saying I run the program that does all the design/maintenance engineering for all the systems that fire bullets and other stuff from submarines.

Started woodworking at 12...worked my way up to cabinets and finish guy. Decided being a machinist would be more interesting and stable to support a family...so I went on the GE apprentice course...then Uncle Sam wanted me and I figured what I knew fit the Navy better. I still love doing woodworking...but I'm a little more geared to redoing this old cape cod. When I retire in the next few...it's furniture or bust.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    I have been in the industrial and commercial insulation trade for 31 years now and am looking forward to completing the next five so that I can retire. Here are some pics that I have taken over the years of various jobs that I have done. There are two pics from a drug company that needed a complete re-insulation of the piping of their cooling tower. I did this job completely by myself. Piping was from two inches in diameter up to, if I remember correctly, about twenty inches in diameter.

Also, there are two pictures from a small repair job I did at another company in their boiler room. Some simple straightforward stuff that was a bit complicated.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Work ?¿

I wander around the jungle looking for nice wood for you guys to play with and stay out of your wifes way in the kitchen.

I was a TV News broadcast engineer. Did the electronic side of television news shows live shots via microwave and satellite up-links and down-links.
    Now I am retired and a jack of all hobbies.
    David B

Fred...
    As an old sailor...I'm impressed. I know people don't generally think that "lagging" can be anything but functional...but if you spend 12-18 hours a day staring at the stuff...you get to know good work.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Getting up in the morning and making coffee, anything else is extra
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott