Thread: What am I doing wrong with my bedan?

What am I doing wrong with my bedan?

I am making rungs for a shaker stool. I am using my 3/8" bedan for sizing the tenons. It works great except sometimes when I get to the tenon size it grabs and goes underneath the tenon and wrecks the tenon. COuld it be my tool rest needs to be positioned different? Or do I need to hold on tighter? I usually have the tool in my right hand and wrench in the other.

Thanks

Quinn

Bedans are nice tools, but they can be grabby.

Sharpen it! Lighter cutting touch. Hang on for dear life to keep the sucker steady.

Sharp, sharp, sharp. I love John Jordan's teaching. If something's wrong, most of the time, the answer is sharpen. (my paraphrase of what he said, but close)

Wrench is a good touch for sizing, but you have to be careful to not over-burnish your tenon with it as glue and glazed tenons don't mix well.
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO

Quinn, I'd echo Dean's comments as to sharpen and light cuts; also be aware a bedan heats up rather quickly, so quick cuts might be in order for you. Just a thought or two, good luck! Jude

Quinn,

Bedan is the tool that make one humble real quick.
    Move tool rest higher, cut on tangent on top the the spindle instead of scraping at center line.

Gordon

I'd position the tool rest as close to the work as possible, to keep the bedan from slipping between the TR and the work, and possibly under the work. If you have to apply a considerable amout of force to get it to cut, I'd sharpen! Good luck...

Thanks everyone for all of the good advice. I can always count on getting a quick responce here.

Quinn