Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MM Bandsaw Blade Wobble

Well, I would let MM know how that carrier delivered the saw. On it's side would be a big NO-NO! As stout as that machine's backbone is, I wouldn't think it would happen, but if it ended up on it's side because it fell, then it is possible the frame is bent. That would be a lot of weight come crashing down, I don't care how strong the frame is. Was this documented with the freight company? Did the driver say anything about it when he opened the back of the truck? Or did you pick it up at the terminal and that's how they brought it out to you? It would have been fine if it was laying down on it's backbone, table up in the air, motor out the side and braced to stay in that position. But that wouldn't have damaged the motor. Was the pallet strapped to the bottom of the base? For the others here with the bigger saws, were your's double palleted, mounted to the base, and shipped upright? That's how my E16 was shipped. Bolted to a small pallet, the that small pallet strapped to a bigger pallet, for a fork lift or pallet jack to get under, using the metal strapping bands to secure them.
    Hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid that the shipper messed up, and didn't tell you, or covered it up. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Well, I would let MM know how that carrier delivered the saw. On it's side would be a big NO-NO! As stout as that machine's backbone is, I wouldn't think it would happen, but if it ended up on it's side because it fell, then it is possible the frame is bent. That would be a lot of weight come crashing down, I don't care how strong the frame is. Was this documented with the freight company? Did the driver say anything about it when he opened the back of the truck? Or did you pick it up at the terminal and that's how they brought it out to you? It would have been fine if it was laying down on it's backbone, table up in the air, motor out the side and braced to stay in that position. But that wouldn't have damaged the motor. Was the pallet strapped to the bottom of the base? For the others here with the bigger saws, were your's double palleted, mounted to the base, and shipped upright? That's how my E16 was shipped. Bolted to a small pallet, the that small pallet strapped to a bigger pallet, for a fork lift or pallet jack to get under, using the metal strapping bands to secure them.
    Hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid that the shipper messed up, and didn't tell you, or covered it up. Jim.
    I'm fairly certain that it left MM on it's side because of the way it was crated.

When you call tomorrow, ask them. I hope you're right, and you probably are since you can see the construction of the crate. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    When you call tomorrow, ask them. I hope you're right, and you probably are since you can see the construction of the crate. Jim.
    I agree. Confirm that it was shipped correctly. I know that when you pickup direct from Grizzly that you must sign a waiver if you want to haul your BS away in any position other than vertical. Hopefully a moot point and it was shipped correctly.

I'm leaning towards a blade issue as well but if your 1/2" does the dance as well, something's going on. Good luck and keep us posted.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I don't know about the MM-20 but my MM-16 was shipped vertically. The put the b/s on a pallet and built a frame around the b/s incorporating the pallet into the crate. Then the entire assembly was placed on another pallet and screwed to the 2nd pallet and banded to the 2nd pallet.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I think the lower flywheel is off left to right. I see a bit more blade showing on the left side (looking at it) of the wheel.Yet, I want to call them before I start mucking with the settings.

Anyone have a MM with the new style blade guard? It seems to me that the blade guard interfers with the thrust bearing on all but the largest blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Milito View Post
    I think the lower flywheel is off left to right. I see a bit more blade showing on the left side (looking at it) of the wheel.Yet, I want to call them before I start mucking with the settings.

Anyone have a MM with the new style blade guard? It seems to me that the blade guard interfers with the thrust bearing on all but the largest blades.
    Steve -
    I have a MM20....

You are correct that it interferes -- kind of a weak point of a very expensive band saw (IMHO). I usually keep the 1" trimaster on it, so the thrust bearing doesn't hit. I've run a 1/2" wide blade on it, but it's been a while - I think I had to run it in the middle of the wheel so the back of the blade could get within a 16th of the back bearing.

A local fix is to use a hack saw or Dremel and cut out about 1/2" of the lower blade guard so you can press the Thrust bearing forward.

Keep us informed on what MM says tomorrow........

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Milito View Post
    I have an MM16, but I'm guessing the blade guard issue is the same. I used a dremel to trim the guard so the bearing can move forward further. See the last photo in the following post:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost...1&postcount=51

Congrats on the new saw!

Bandsaw Blade Wobble

Steve,

I bought the same saw you did, the MM20. I picked mine up at the dock in Austin from MM. They loaded it in my trailer on it's back and we tied it down for the trip to Huntsville TX. It took 4 of us to get it out of the trailer and into the shop (700+ lbs.). After cleaning the table with mineral sprits and wiping the whole saw down I installed the 1" Lenox Tri master carbide blade with the teeth setting off the edge of the upper and lower wheels. I used a set of digital calipers clamped to the blade with a 5" gap between the points and commenced to tension the blade. They say that for every .001 stretch it puts 6000lbs tension on the blade. I tightened the tension knob to .003 which should have give me 18,000 lbs of tension. I then adjusted the tension another 1/2 thousand which should give me around 19,000 to 20,000lbs tension. I then turned the saw on and there was no movement of the blade on the wheels. It tracked exactly where it was placed before tensioning. I have never had the blade move on the wheels during operation and there is no vibration when the saw is running. I set the guides as specified in the book and have never had any problems with them. Your saw should run like mine. If you open the top door, you can depress the safety switch and run the saw to observe the wheel to check for wobble. You can do both the bottom and top door for this check. Just be sure you are in a safe position and keep your hands away while checking for wobble. I checked mine this way and the wheels ran true. You will be exposed to a turning blade so be very careful. This will tell you if the wheels are moving in and out during rotation or not. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

James Jones

I've done a lot of research on bandsaws and I've never heard of one being shipped on it side. I think Jim O'Dell is correct. I'm going to be very surprised if this is the way it left MM. I think that's your problem. I've talked to a guy who hauls bandsaws around for a living and he said he would never even put one on its back, let alone on its side.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

I brought home my MM16 on its back and had no problems at all with alignment. With all that metal ,especially in the "spine", I would be surprised if it could get bent during transport. I think you could throw this out of a first story window and it would be o.k. But what do I know! I just hope yours is o.k. and you can start having fun with it.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

My E16 had the same issue with the thrust bearing not being able to move far enough into the blade to be even close. I also used a Dremel and cut off wheels to enlarge and deepen the notch. I guess the manufacturer doesn't think we do anything but resaw with large blades! But it is an easy modification and I couldn't see anything that would be harmed by doing so. I'll PM or email you a link to something Sam Blasco did with his instead of cutting it. Might be something you would want to try. Jim.

I spoke to MM today. They are certain that the blades are bad and are sending two new blades. We also talked about some other minor issues and they were very helpful.

I guess the next problem is the table, boy that thing is far from level

Steve, did MM say how they shipped the saw? Wasn't clear from your post or from the email.
    I was going to post the pictures of my before and after, but I have posted them before. Here is the post. Before on the first one, and the after is a couple posts down.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=60383
    Hope these help. Jim.