Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone made their own (major) power tool?

Has anyone made their own (major) power tool?

Hello,
    I was looking around the web and came across several home made bandsaws and lathes. In another thread, a poster had made his own plunge base for a router (apologies for not remembering who it was - hopefully credit will be given where credit is due).

It got me wondering if anyone here had "rolled their own" tool and what it was.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Here is a clip of somebody who made a 'lathe'. This was posted quite a while ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI-Ss6I5W7E

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Hello,
    I was looking around the web and came across several home made bandsaws and lathes. In another thread, a poster had made his own plunge base for a router (apologies for not remembering who it was - hopefully credit will be given where credit is due).

It got me wondering if anyone here had "rolled their own" tool and what it was.

Bruce Page made the Router base you're referring to. Here is the link.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29281

That's cool as heck!! Remember the cone shaped log splitting device that was sold years ago that bolted on the rear axle hub of a car?? My friends dad had one of those rascals. I think they pulled them from the market after a car ran away from the woodpile
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Kraft View Post
    That's cool as heck!! Remember the cone shaped log splitting device that was sold years ago that bolted on the rear axle hub of a car?? My friends dad had one of those rascals. I think they pulled them from the market after a car ran away from the woodpile
    Yep, only works if you DON'T have a limited slip differential!

Coolest roll-your-own project I have ever read about is Tom Plamann's lathe. Link below. If the link gets deleted, you can DAGS for Plamann MOAL.

http://www.plamann.com/architecturalwoodcolumns.html

table saw and 10 inch disc sander. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=72844
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Anything posted by Nissim Avrahami! Unbelievable imagination and ability to make due with the tools he has on hand.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?searchid=1757940

Me, the largest is a 30" drum sander which works better than my wildest expectations and gets used on almost every project!
    sander.jpg

Mike

bandsaw, tension gage, grinder

saw_front.JPG

saw_rear.JPG

grinder1.jpg

18000psi.JPG

These are just a few of my homemade tools. The bandsaw is a wood/metal machine that I originally built as metal only in 1980. It weighs approx 700#.
    The tool and cutter grinder is shown set up for altering a bandsaw blade in the photo. And, yes I believe in tension gages. Got lot's more pics, but let's see if these work first! BTW, beautiful job on the router base Bruce!

Bob

I haven't made any major power tools, but I know a professional millworker here in Summit that has. He had a big job some years back to supply all the custom millwork in a hotel that was being built in a neighboring town, and to speed the job along he built a shaper with multiple spindles, ten horse three phase power and exciters to change the frequency of the current to control spindle speed. Needless to say, he's a pretty handy guy.

The spindles aren't adjustable as to height, so he uses spacers the same as he does with his molder. The machine doesn't see much use since that hotel job though.
    Visit Peercon.com

I've always wanted to make a sander, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Bob Hertle, WOW! You know your way around a fab/machine shop! Amazing stuff!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I think this one is extremely cool
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=432715
    Use the fence Luke

Bob H.
    I tried to send you a reply PM but the software says you have your PM & email options turned off.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    I think this one is extremely cool
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=432715
    Doug, that is waaaaaaay cool.
    I have no idea how I missed it in 2006. I sent a message to Mark via his website congratulating him.
    He hasn't been around SMC in a while.

Andy Rooney