Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Quest for the Almost Paperless Shop!

The Quest for the Almost Paperless Shop!

I'm not sure what got into me, but I got a wild hair today about having a paperless shop. I got thinking how cool it would be if I didn't have pages of printed out plans or notes and my own hand-drawn plans spread out all over my work table. Of course, I'll need to actually use my rags-in-a-box rather than page 6 next time I spill glue. But the price for neatness and organization is one I will happily pay.

And pay, I must.

I wondered if a laptop is the answer. I could install CutList Plus and have all my plans and cutlists at my disposal on the screen. And I could even order oak plywood from Lowe's from the comfort of my shop. How cool would that be?

I am certainly aware of the mismatch created anytime technology meets sawdust. Not a pretty picture. So I went online and started to research the Panasonic Tough Book laptop. Good reviews, great reputation, etc. I found several used/ refurbished units on EBay for a reasonable price ($500.). Seems like a great deal considering a new one goes for about 3 grand. And it seems to solve my problems. I found one with Wireless card, touch screen, even a GPS receiver for those days when I feel lost in my shop. It resists water and dust, and seems like the perfect solution.

I now ask for the imput of my fellow Creeksters. Anybody using a tough book or other laptop in their shop? How is it holding up? Does a ToughBook work well for outside the shop applications? Or should I by a ThinkPad or a Vaio and cover it in the shop? Please relate your thoughts and experiences!

Steve

what about a big old whiteboard? then you can write and erase?

or a blackboard?

i would have a hard time using a laptop in the shop... small screen. can't write on it... make notes...

There was recently a thread on keeping computers in the shop on the "other forum". Many of them found they had no problems at all with sawdust in the shop, they just made sure to clean out the case every few months, some stretched pantyhose over the intake fans. Consider buying a "tablet" PC that you could write on and use as a touchscreen as well, that would fix Julie's problem...
    "You don’t get harmony when everybody sings the same note." —Doug Floyd

I like the feel of good old paper
    Coming from an IT background there is just as much work or more inputting data. It’s what you can do with it after it’s in the machine that nice.
    Also I would not mind spilling a cup of coffee or varnish on a pile of papers but…

Rob Will Guest
    I went to a local surplus shop and bought some old blueprint files. These will handle most any size paper and even plywood patterns. I doubt that I'll ever make it as a paper free zone.

Rob

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather spill my coffee or varnish on my paper plans instead of a $500 laptop. But I'm weird that way

Tom
    Are you getting something out of your time here? You are? Great...then now's the time to give a little something back! Contribute!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Purcell View Post
    There was recently a thread on keeping computers in the shop on the "other forum". Many of them found they had no problems at all with sawdust in the shop, they just made sure to clean out the case every few months, some stretched pantyhose over the intake fans. Consider buying a "tablet" PC that you could write on and use as a touchscreen as well, that would fix Julie's problem...
    I am a paper pad guy myself. Lots of scribbles as I go. I do however keep a laptop in the shop. I used some old closet doors on a pantry that is built in along the "storage wall". I drill holes for the cables and cleared some stewed tomatoe cans off of one shelf and there she sits. All I use it for is to play internet radio via secure wireless to the house or MP3's off my own CD's or the harddrive. I just fire it up and slide the closet door closed. Every so often I will blow the keyboard and display off. It's been running this way for well over a year now and no problems.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

We work with trees in various forms. Doesn't paper belong in the shop? If you want to be organized buy a clipboard. Get the new computer for the office and use it when you are too tired and should not be out in the shop using powertools and sharp blades.

Ever since finding an old shop notebook that belonged to my father I have decided to try and keep all the many notes, sketches, etc. in a bound notebook that contains graph paper. Everything is in there so I never need to look anywhere else. I even keep small sketches of larger drawings so I have them for reference.

Larger sketches, when not in use, are kept in my home office file cabinet.

While a computer sounds interesting - someday a child or grandchild will come across the shop notebook and see notes related to some of the furniture I have built for them...
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

I make all my furniture drawings on computer, so a computer in the shop is what I use for displaying drawings.

I use a desktop model discarded by my kids because it's not warp factor 9 fast.

For small sketches I use a paper note pad or Palm Pilot.

I like the Palm pilot because it doesn't disappear up the floor sweep before I've made the last cut.

Regards, Rod.

Hi There:
    I have used a few models of the Toughbooks over the past few years. As far as saw dust is concerned I can't answer that question. The ones I used were used in mapping caves. Yes Caves. One I even droped in water and it just kept on going. I have seen people wash them off in a sink! I don't know if that is realy recomended. So I don't think that a little saw dust will be a big thing.
    Hope this Helps
    Bob Oehler

I see no reason why going electronic will not work as long as you can deal with the dust issues. But I would find it hard to go "totally paper free" simply because I take a lot of measurements directly off a project in progress and the old books of note paper from a previous job I use serve as a scratch pad. I have 'em, so I use 'em!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

To paraphrase an old comment and put in a woodworking context, "A paperless shop is about as likely as a paperless bathroom." Scraps of paper and little notebooks for sketches, writing down quick measurements, and other tasks usually are quicker than trying to keep everything on a PC. I always kkep either paper or a notebook on the bench, often both.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I see no reason why going electronic will not work as long as you can deal with the dust issues. But I would find it hard to go "totally paper free" simply because I take a lot of measurements directly off a project in progress and the old books of note paper from a previous job I use serve as a scratch pad. I have 'em, so I use 'em!
    Thanks to all for your imput. Jim, I am with you 100% and I agree with Dave as well. You'll note that the title of this thread is the almost paperless shop. I can't imagine going totally paperless either. Nor do I want to. I want to make notes and scribble. I'm sure I'll continue the old habit of keeping a yellow pad on the bench. But I just think that using a computer to view the stuff I would otherwise be printing from my office desktop is a no-brainer. That is, as long as I can protect the electronics from the "elements" of a shop environment. And, based on what I'm reading, The ToughBook would get it done.
    Thanks, again, for your help!

As an IT person who has worked with a variety of clients, I can tell you with great certainty that your plan is very workable. In fact, I do work occasionally for a company that makes reproduction doors and windows for old houses, mostly 18th and 19th century stuff. All wood, all the time. They use AutoCAD on all their PCs, though they do still use a plotter to print out large blueprints.

I've also done work for a couple of service station chains and all the mechanics use PCs for ordering, inventory and tech notes. The PCs at the service stations do get really nasty, sucking in all sorts of slimy mists all day. But they hold up surprisingly well.

I think the big issue is probably screen size. If you go with a 14 or 15 inch laptop screen you are bound to get frustrated by the small size of diagrams and plans. The largest monitor possible is usually a good idea for any graphics intense type of work.

Regards,

kmb