Thread: Through tenon bookcase with pics- FINISHED!!!!

Through tenon bookcase with pics- FINISHED!!!!

Some of you may remember me making disparaging comments regarding a bookcase that I have been trying to build for many months now. Well, its finally emerged from the workshop and its time to tell the tale.

This bookcase, in red oak, started life as my second major bookcase build. The first had gone fairly smoothly and I was feeling fairly confident- first big mistake! I decided to build the bookcase out of red oak- nice and substantial I thought. I designed the bookcase myself as I wanted something a little different from all the standard plans. The case was to be simple, but with a twist. I decided to fix every shelf rather than have holes or other adjusting options. This decision led to a further fateful decision- to attach each shelf not just in a dado, but with a dado and three through tenons on each side. Little did I know just what I was letting myself in for!

In March last year I dimensioned my lumber, glued up the panels and cut the main pieces to size. I then got tied up in business work and the project sat in the shop until May. By that time, the humidity had risen, and several of the boards had bowed considerably. I had decided to make an mdf jig and plunge route the mortises- and then cut the dadoes- this I was able to do, but none of the shelves were straight enough to fit in the dadoes anymore. At that point, I put the project to one side to think on options.

A note on the routing approach to the through tenons- my jig worked pretty well- I cut the tenons on the inside, and was careful to plunge the router to a depth that left a very very thin layer of wood in the mortise- almost transparent. I did this to avoid tearout on the outside face of the uprights. I then used chisels to remove the last of the mortise and to square up the edges. Slow and painful, but worked pretty well.

Fast forward to October and the boards had not flattened themselves out. End result was that I re-ripped several of them along the glue line, re jointed and planed them, then reglued flat. A couple of them I replaced completely- I still have some extra bendy shelves for some other project!

By the time I was ready to cut my tenons, my new incra router fence had arrived and I had built a new router table. So I was able to use the fence to cut very consistent tenons. Substantial hand trimming was still required for tight fits- the end result looks better than it seemed it would at the time. By this time I was feeling a bit more confident. Then FWW turned up on my doorstep with an article on a through tenoned bookcase- explaining that this was one of the hardest things to build well! Although my version was larger, I think its a bit simpler and made of more easily manageable wood- but it did make me smile- and allowed my wife to point out that this was probably why I hadn't come across anything similar when I had been planning an designing the darned thing last March!

The glue up was a game of two halves- the first side was done with white glue, one shelf at a time, with a thousand clamps keeping everything square. Joining the shelves to the second side was another matter altogether. I lost count of the number of faces that had to be glued, so slow setting hide glue came into play, together with the help of my beautiful wife, a large persuading mallet (on the case, not my wife!) and many more clamps.

At this point I thought I was home free. The difficult stuff was done- all I needed now was a face frame (integral tenons to join things), trim the back to fit and mill up a suitable top. Of course it didn't quite turn out that way. Trimming the face frame was interrupted by the bearing on the flush trimming bit falling off, resulting in the router taking a detour into the side and the face frame. This gave me a chance to work on my patching skills! Fortunately, the top was fairly straight forward and so the bookcase moved into the living room just after the solstice tree moved out yesterday.

As you can see in the pictures, my wife wasted no time filling the shelves. You have probably noticed that the oak is unfinished- partly because I don't want to use noxious chemicals in the basement in the winter, and partly because we can't decide what finish we want- so the bookcase will remain unadorned until the spring.

Sorry the pics are not clearer- my camera was playing up today. For those interested the case is about 6 feet high, a little over 1 foot deep and around three feet wide.

Comments as always welcome

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tough project Mike. I've done two shelf system with through tenons, and I can sympathize, or is it empathize with you. It's a lot of work. Red oak is difficult because it always want to move around. I bet some of those shelves really wanted to move on ya'
    Very precise measurements done on a repetetive basis are difficult for the hobbiest. We just don't have production machinery that we can "set and forget". A project like that is deceptive because of it's size. It's big, but 64th's count on the fit up.

It still came out very well, even if the finish is yet to be applied.
    Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    It still came out very well, even if the finish is yet to be applied.
    Well done.
    If he's got books in there, I would guess he's finished with it.
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

Bookcase

Mike,your attention to details shows.That is as slick as glass.I don't thing a person could paint tenons any better than what you have done w/chisel and router.Man that is good.

Really nice work. Your perseverence is inspiring.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Marcade View Post
    If he's got books in there, I would guess he's finished with it.
    Yeah. I really didn't want to mention that part. He has to get it away from his wife to finish it. She may have a different idea of when the job is "done".,

It still came out nice, even unfinished.

Very nice work....
    Jerry

thanks for the nice comments everyone.

My wife is keen to point out that she has volunteered to take charge of finishing operations- so officially this project is now in her hands not mine! That said, we are both kind of liking the unfinished look- any suggestions on a very subtle finish to use to maintain this- we usually finish with Tung Oil, or a Tung Oil finish and then top off with a wax. I was wondering how the oak would behave if we just used a wax here.

regards

Mike

I might try a Watco Danish oil then wax, the Tung oil will darken the wood and the natural danish would keep it lighter.
    Nice bookcase, looks clean and well built.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Very nice bookcase. I will have to try that some time. Good luck on finishing it up. I think you need a little bit more then just wax to seal it up. You know how oak tends to wander. Maybe a very thinned shellac followed up with a wax job.

Keep us informed.

Great Job
    Bob Oehler

finishing...

thanks Al and Bob for the finishing ideas- will definitely keep those in mind. Think we will hold off until the spring though as we would rather not finish in the basement beside the furnace!

and thanks again for the nice comments!

Mike