Thread: Problem with Porter Cable 890 VS router

Problem with Porter Cable 890 VS router

My approx 2 year old Porter Cable 890 series 2 1/4 hp router stopped coming up to speed today. It appears the VS control stopped working as it will run at a low RPM, but doesn't vary in speed or increase.

Has any one experienced a similar problem?

This is one of 4 PC routers I own and probably has the lowest hours of any of them. This came in a two base kit, I think it was a 894PK kit.

I have an 890 that I had to send in for repairs to get the VS replaced on it. Acted similar to yours.

I have two 690's that I've never had problems with. But the 890 is in a router table and gets a lot more use.

Good luck with the repair.

Neil

What did the repair cost you? My 690 easily has triple the number of hours of this 890 router. I think the 690 is a better unit after owning both.

A reputation for craftsmanship is a responsibility
    to never take lightly.

I don't recall exactly, but I seem to think around $65 for parts and labor. It was over a year ago.

Agree with you the 690 is the better unit.

Neil

Well I hope PC gets it straightened out, I have a new 890 thats been siting in the case since last summer, never used it. Now I'm starting to regret the purchase. I figured you couldn't go wrong with a PC router. Should of waited till that model was out longer to see more reviews aparently.

Smile PC VS switch

I'm a little late to the game here, but I had a PC7518 that had the same problem. It had quite a few hours on it though. It was also mounted in my router table. A lot of crud gets in there being mounted upside down. My cost was $100.00 but they said they replaced a couple of bearings as well. Hmmmm. Well it was still cheaper than buying a new one and it looks and runs like new.