Thread: Best finish for kitchen cabinets?

Best finish for kitchen cabinets?

After reading a thread about Norm making a full kitchen I got to thinking about my kitchen (which I am about to build) that will be white or slightly off white with a stain grade island. The wall cabinets will be poplar or soft maple face frames, inset doors and the island will most likely be white oak or walnut.

My question is what finish products and methods would you all suggest for kitchen cabinets that will be painted and what finish for stain grade? The big issue is that spraying is more than likely out of the question for me and my painter does not prefer it (he is capable but uninterested).

I have kids and I know what they can do to white cabinets but that is the look SHE wants so here I am. Durability is the key for me. The cost of the materials and time taken will be long forgotten when the kitchen is done.

What say you slatherers?
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

I have been very happy with the Target Coatings and Fuhr International products I used for my kitchen in 2003...tinted acrylics. The downside for you due to what sounds like your painter's attitude, is that they are best for spray application. Can that not be done before installation?

If it's to be brushed, then either a 100% acrylic product or oil-based enamel is probably the best bet. Latex paint is a No-No...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I could have him spray before install but one of the things I cant stand about kitchens is the joints between cabinets and finishing in place is the only way around that. It just looks so much better to me to have everything painted in together. Might have to talk to him about spraying in place.

Thanks for the response.

Ben
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Cabinet finish

I have been out of the cabinet business for several years and don't even know if it's still available but I used Sherwin Williams catalyzed varnish. The stuff is really tough and gives a great finish. Impervious to grease, water, ammonia, etc. It does have to be sprayed. Used by pool table manufacturers for their finish.