Thread: Bandsaw back together

Cool Bandsaw back together

Well I put my bandsaw back together last night after modifying it to have 13" of resaw height. It is an old sears 12" that took 80" blades and had 6" height of cut. I set it up to take the 93 1/2" blades, This gave me right at 13" of height and 12 1/2" of depth. I had to replace the tube that holds the upper wheel assembly and found that 3" muffler pipe fit great. I also replaced the shaft that the upper blade guide fits on with a longer one which meant cutting a hole in the top of the saw for it to stick up through. Also made a new blade guard for the right side of the blade (side that is going up). Now I just need to make a base for it and get it running. I did hook up the motor to it and cut a bowl blank out that was 7" thick and it worked great
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sparky Paessler

Very, very nice job on the mod/restore, Sparky! Personally, I'd attempt a restore, but such a drastic modification is beyone me. I do note that, you went from kind of a "Jet" blue, closer to a "Griz" green! At any rate, very well done!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    New is great and may even work better but I am proudest of my recycling projects. Very nice Sparks. You should be proud.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

That is SO cool. I love that retro tool look. Very nice job.
    I used to just take it from day to day, and now I just take it till noon.

Thats great Sparky

I have a saw that looks a lot like that. Do your self a favor put a crank handle on the rod. Does your have the quick tension release like mine right under the top wheel?

Here is what I did & its worked out great. I don't have to change blades to re-saw or do fine cuts on small items. I keep a 1/4" or 3/8" blade on the Sears saw & a 1/2" or 3/4" on the Grizzly which has a 1 1/2 HP motor & 12" re-saw capability not to mention a bigger table.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 02-27-2004 at 9:26 AM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Sparky,
    Your a man after my own heart. I too tend to reuse/Rube my shop items. Great job on the renovation! (versus restoration) With the 3" exhaust I bet it has a nice mellow sound at idle.

Wes

Thanks all for the nice comments. John the color choice was because it was what I had left over from another project. Now I need to figure out how to modify the blade guides to ball bearing guides.

Sparky
    Sparky Paessler