Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust mask question

Dust mask question

Pending my dust collector purchase / installation, I want to get a decent dust mask. My other experiences with masks have not been comfortable. Thus the problem with alot of safety equipment. Lack of comfort. That comfort is a major driving force to that equipments usage.

Are there decent ( somewhat affordable ) masks out there. The ones I have worn get warm inside and sometimes it feels laborious to breathe.

I have read several threads here that talk about WHAT these things do, none so far about how these things FEEL.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I get mine at Home Depot, and now I'm so used to it, I don't even think of it when I have it on. I use it 99% of the time I'm in the shop, and I also use it most of the time I work in yard or garden.

I don't care if it doesn't look cool ! I want to have clean lungs !!!

GET ONE AND USE IT ! AND GET A GOOD ONE !!!
    MARK

I have the same situation Home depot and others sell the MSI with the low profile filters, I like this one it is small and light and you can also get organic filters if you spray paint or anything elst with fumes. the standard dust filter replacments are about $9 mask is about $30

I also have a 3m but it is bigger and heaver but also fits better. The filters are dust and organic and about $35 for a set. I think for dust though the MSI is nicer and my saftey goggles fit better with it. I don't know if they have just a dust filter.

I just ordered the AO Safety Woodworker's Respirator #95190
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BYE9Q
    This is the best value people seem to like it, filters are about $1 and the mask is about $14 can't beat the price so I figured I would try it.
    -=Jason=-

When I want to wear a dust mask, I use the Dust-B-Gone. It's washable and quite comfortable. (I also have a respirator for when I'm spraying water borne or shellac, but it's way too uncomfortable for wearing "just for dust"--it's a "pick your battles" decision on my part)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Check with your dentist. I have some light weight masks that I get from a dental supply house.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin View Post
    Check with your dentist. I have some light weight masks that I get from a dental supply house.
    These type masks are not right for wood dust as they are usually rated only for "nusiance dust" whatever that means. You should look for a mask with an "N95" rating. Home Depot/Lowes has these and they are very comfortable disposable masks. In my use they last a long time and keep a lot of the dust out of your lungs.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky View Post
    These type masks are not right for wood dust as they are usually rated only for "nusiance dust" whatever that means. You should look for a mask with an "N95" rating. Home Depot/Lowes has these and they are very comfortable disposable masks. In my use they last a long time and keep a lot of the dust out of your lungs.
    The problem with N95 masks is that they only filter out the larger particles that naturally don't make it deep into you lungs and cause damage like the small particles do--the small particles that go straight through an N95 mask. If you're going to wear a mask, it may as well be an N100... The large particles that do get filtered by an N95 are a "nuisance" in that they may irritate your nose and throat, but will generally be removed by coughing, sneezing, swallowing, etc.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

After going through several mask over the years, I finally found one that fits my face and is very comfortable even with glassed I wear working.

The North CFR-1 for $16.99 from Highland Woodworking. All are medium size so if you have a large face... maybe not a good choice. Additional filters are sold in a Qty. 20 box. I change them from one project to another. www.highlandwoodworking.com

I have heard that the Dust-be-Gone is good also, but have not used that one after I found the one that works best for me.

Sarge..

I've gotten pretty happy/comfortable with this respirator.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BYE9Q

It seems to do a good job and it's about as comfortable as I've been with any other type of mask. The regular paper type masks always gave me fog issues on my safety glasses and this helps me with that.

I've started using 3m 1820 surgical/medical masks rated at .5 micron. They're pleated and attach via ear loops and are quite comfy. They seam to conform to face better then cone or preformed masks. You can find them at a medical supply store or online for $13 to $20 per box of 50.

Another vote for the AO Safety Woodworkers Respirator, the pig-snout mask.

Just did some more reasearch, "the Dust-B-Gone does NOT meet NIOSH/OSHA standards and is only good to 3 microns ( www.dustbeegone.com/dustmask.html. - then click on dust masks)

Dust-B-Gone will not filter the dust in the 1 micron range, which is the real danger to your lungs. "

I like the resprator type I can ware them longer since moisture doesn't build up in them as much. Also the paper masks I tend to get leaks and stuff through the sides and seem to be more labored in breating also I just can't get them to fit well or stay put. I have never felt labored in breathing in a resporator type mask in the regular paper ones yes. If it is hard to breeth blow out the filters or replace them.

For EMS we need to be fitted for n95 masks and they are all the paper type. YOu out the mask and they put you into a hood where they spray a sweet mist in if you can taste it the mask is not working. I could never find a paper mask when I start talking or moving that would not have leaks.

It is going to be a tryal process. For fitting you should put it on and cover the intake hole and suck in there should be no leaks. If there is it doesn't work.
    -=Jason=-

Ahh hahah haha, pig snout mask, I like that. That's the one I just started using. Didn't realize it was so small when I ordered it, not too cumbersome. Only used it a few times but seems good and didn't fog up my safety glass so I guess it seals well.

And another vote for the AO Safety Woodworkers Respirator, the pig-snout mask.

Do any of you have both a small face & wear glasses. I have never been able to find ANY mask, respirator, etc that does not severely fog up my glasses. Not being able to see while using sharp implements of destruction is an immediate danger compared to some dust that may cause damage 30 years in the future.
    Thanks
    Al