Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router Speed Control

Router Speed Control

I have a PC 7518 mounted in a woodpecker PRL. Fantastic setup, but to adjust the speed I almost have to lay on my back. Even turning it on/off is cumbersome, and potentially dangerous vs. a front mounted switch. Ideally, I'd mount an aftermarket switch and speed control to the front of the table, located kind of like one a table saw. However, in searching online, as well as forums here, I haven't found a switch/speed control that works with a variable speed/soft start router. Anyone know if such a beast exists? I know the 7518 is a very popular router, so I'm guessing someone has figured out a way to avoid getting on their hands and knees to operate the control switches. Thanks!
    Last edited by Dave Novak; 01-07-2008 at 12:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Dave,

I think that is a cool idea! What you really want to do is to yank the switch mounted on the router off, add some length of wire, and mount the new switch wherever you want.

I can't offer any advice about this because I'd have to take the switch apart on the motor and see what could be done about remotely mounting it. If you are comfy, I suggest going that route and doing some investigation. Good luck and post back on your findings. Take some pics...we'll see if we can help further.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

How about this one (it just controls power though, not vs)

http://www.benchdog.com/powerloc.htm
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

It doesn't apppear to double as a speed control. Am I missing something? Edit: nevermind, you mentioned that.

The switch seems simple enough, I probobly would have just made one, but i like the t-track feature of this one. The more I think about it, the less likely it seems that I'll be able to control speed on a 7518 remotely.
    Last edited by Dave Novak; 01-07-2008 at 2:33 PM.

Like you I have yet to see a speed control that works with the soft start circuitry.
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

I use this switch in my setup and am very pleased with it. (With a PC7518) But there is no external speed control you can use with the system that I'm aware of that will work with the PC7518. One must reach into the cabinet. But there are only five clicks...as long as you remember which direction is which, it's easy to adjust without even looking...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Marcade View Post
    How about this one (it just controls power though, not vs)

http://www.benchdog.com/powerloc.htm
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

One thing I imagine may work is a variac as long as you start the router at 120 volts, then you could turn it down. If I have a chance in the next couple days I will try starting one of my Festool routers, which also have soft-start, off a variac.

EDIT:

Well I had ten minutes waiting for a phone call, so I went out and tried a Festool 1400 as well as a Porter Cable 7518 (forgot I still owned it in the original response) and both routers fired up fine, even set at 60% voltage, boy you should've heard that 7518 scream when running OV at 140v.
    Last edited by John Michael; 01-07-2008 at 6:11 PM.

Router speed control - possible...but

Rockler has a router speed control for about $40, and there are others out there. But there's a catch. They will only work on a router that does not have speed control/soft start unless you are willing to bypass the internal controls. I don't think the Rockler one has soft start. My PC router is 100% dedicated to the table so that's how I did it.

I would only suggest it for people that are comfortable with electric power / soldering iron and if you don't mind voiding the PC warranty.

The actual bypassing is fairly easy though and you can save the control and solder it back in later if you want. As far as soft start, I just start the router on a slow setting and turn it up to speed. I can help with details if you want to do the surgery.

Randy, the PC7518 has circuitry that helps to keep the speed steady under load. The electronic speed control is one of the main features of this device, IMHO. For some reason, I'm suspicious that it would be a good candidate for the "bypass surgery", although it certainly may be possible.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Boy, and I thought I was the only one with dust on my knees doing the 7518 dance. And another thing about the 7518 that gets my nanny is that I have to raise my 7518 to the top to change the bit every time I change the bit (I've got a Bench Dog Pro-lift, that helps some). Ever watch Marc Sommerfeld just reach in and release the bit and change it with one twist of his offset wrench? Well, I keep telling myself, yeh, but he doesn't have a 7518. Doesn't help. I too count the clics. Once in a while I have to look to make sure which way is the slow and count from there. PITA, but it works well.

Speed control reminder and access door

I'm more forgetful in my old age as well so I added labels on the DC shroud to remind me how many "clicks" to select the desired speed (sorry for the poor photo quality). I, too, use the Bench Dog remote switch. I also added an access door to the DC shroud to gain easier access to the speed control and the column lock on the Bench Dog Pro Lift. I don't use the column lock often but do (per lift instructions) when long routing sessions and when doing rail/stile cuts. I posted the DC shroud earlier but the access door and labels are recent mods.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I think Jim beat me to it but the 7518 has a circuit similar to my Mil 5625 that maintains torque and speed under load (or some such voodoo). This is one of the things that sold me on the Mil. I would be reluctant to mess with it on the 7518.

Any chance of altering the mounting position to get the control in a better position? Modify your cabinet maybe? I guess I should be happy my control is on top and therefor right on the bottom when table mounted. Never gave it much thought which doesn't help you a bit . . . I'm rambling, sorry.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I guess this is another thing that doing the dust collection on my router table as an updraft setup helps with. The power switch on my 7518 is an easy reach through the opening in the bottom of the router chamber if I just kneel down. I do have to remember which way the clicks go though. Rig up a remote cable to operate the speed control? Could make it a 5 speed shifter on the outside of the cabinet, ala Time "The Toolman" Taylor!!
    Oh, and I wired in a light switch that controls an outlet on the inside of the cabinet away from the dust, that I can turn the router on and off with. Seems to work fine. I can plug the shop vac in to run the fence port on the Incra system too...all comes on and off with one switch. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 01-07-2008 at 8:47 PM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

If you look at the parts diagram for a 7518, and the single speed twin, you will notice that speed control is only part different in electrical circuit. Switch, brushes, armature, and field are the same. Either remotely locate speed control, or remove it and use an after market speed control which includes off/ on function. Any tool that is a PITA to use needs something done to fix it.

I'm with Jim McFarland. I wrote the speed position on the inside of the door. Now I just count the clicks. Dick B.