Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radial Arm Saw suggestions

Radial Arm Saw suggestions

I'm looking for a radial arm saw and am looking for recommendations. I'm looking for a 10" - lower end budget model. Dewalt, Delta, and Ridgid come to mind. I'm looking around at Craigslist for a used machine. Has anyone used a Ridgid? I need something that I can square up boards with.

John

I have an older model Craftsman (60's vintage) that works very well. I bought it used for $125 including lots of extras. I would never consider buying a new one for $500-600, it just doesn't get used enough.

Ras

IMHO, you would be much better off with and older machine such as an old(late 40's, early 50's) Dewalt MB or MBF series if you can find one. They are usually only a 9" but are a far superior machine to the lower end newer models. By the way, I have a 1950 MBF series and it still has the original 1-1/4" maple table.

Buy older Sears. Look for higher horse power unit. Just like most things, the more horse power the unit has the better quality the unit tended to be. IMHO

It seems that there are differing opinions on the merits of the RAS. Some people like them and some don't. I have a 1957 Dewalt MBF and I really like it. I bought the "Mr. Sawdust" book and followed his instructions on how to build the table and fine tune the saw. I now have a dead on accurate saw that I keep finding new uses for. I put a Freud blade on mine that is designed for the RAS(negative hook angle) and I have never had an issue with the blade wanting to climb. Like any power saw, safety is an issue. And like any power saw, once you learn the proper way to use it, it is no more or less dangerous.

When I bought my RAS, I really didn't know if I needed it or not. It has turned out to be a lot like my Fein Multimaster. I keep finding more ways to use it and I'm glad I have it.

If you do some more research and speak to knowledgable sources you will find that older Dewalts are the most coveted of radial arm saws. In general the rounded top arms are the most sought after however some flat top models are considered quality machines as well. Of the Craftsman the model 100 is considered the best but not as prized as the old Dewalts. Delta made some decent saws but again the Dewalts are the gold standard.

There is a Dephi Dewalt RAS group which is a great source for info and Wally Kunkle's (Mr. Sawdust) book is also an excellent resource.

With knowledge the RAS can be a great machine to own. If you are not the type of person who likes to read up on a machine and go through the process of adjusting it than I would consider another tool to do the job. To the uninformed the RAS can be quite dangerous and that is why they have earned the reputation that they have.

I have an old radial arm I bought used for $75. I have not fine tuned it yet or built a table for it but my plans were to use it for dados and rabbits long pieces like the sides of book cases. I don't know if I would have spend a lot of money on one though.

mbf

I have an old dewalt MBF that I did as Al stated, and bought the book, built a new top and I love this old machine. My only complaint is that it's a little under powered. Even with a thin kerf blade. I think the motor is 3/4 horsepower. The quality of these old machines is amazing and a joy to use.

It sounds like getting a used machine is the way to go. I'll see what I can pick up on Craigslist. And I'll get that book - 'Mr. Sawdust'. Thank you all for the advice!

John,

I don't know where you are located, but here is a link to a Dewalt saw on e-Bay that might be what you are looking for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Radial-Arm-Saw-b...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote Originally Posted by Al Rose View Post
    It seems that there are differing opinions on the merits of the RAS. Some people like them and some don't. I have a 1957 Dewalt MBF and I really like it. I bought the "Mr. Sawdust" book and followed his instructions on how to build the table and fine tune the saw. I now have a dead on accurate saw that I keep finding new uses for. I put a Freud blade on mine that is designed for the RAS(negative hook angle) and I have never had an issue with the blade wanting to climb. Like any power saw, safety is an issue. And like any power saw, once you learn the proper way to use it, it is no more or less dangerous.

When I bought my RAS, I really didn't know if I needed it or not. It has turned out to be a lot like my Fein Multimaster. I keep finding more ways to use it and I'm glad I have it.
    I agree with Al about the negative hook blade. What a difference that made in the saws performance - well worth the $50-60.

Two words CAST IRON
    delta, red star (became the delta line) and comet are ones to look for too.

13. I have an early dewalt that I need to restore. Where can I get the Mr. Sawdust book? Thanks

I agree with all the reponses here. I would never buy a new one. There are about 2 a day here on craig's list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Cockerham View Post
    I have an early dewalt that I need to restore. Where can I get the Mr. Sawdust book? Thanks

Ronald,

Here's a link to the book.

http://www.mrsawdust.com/