Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Worm drive vs. "regular" circular saw

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Worm drive vs. "regular" circular saw

What are the pros/cons of a worm drive saw vs a regular circular saw? I have always used my B&D circa 1971 and never used a worm drive. I am getting ready to replace my circular saw with something less than 40 years old.

Thoughts?

I am not a pro, just a dedicated weekend warrior that has no fear tackling just about anything from framing to landscaping to deck building.

Thanks,

Mike

Blog Entries
    A worm drive typically has the blade on the left side where it belongs I also prefer the balance of a worm drive. In addition to a skillsaw I now have a Festool TS75 and the hardest thing for me with it, is that I can't see the blade cutting the line. Fortunately the saw is accurate enough that I don't need to. I'd go with the worm drive for its versatility IMHO.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Rob Will Guest
    I have a Milwaukee worm drive and various "regular" saws. It seems that the left blade worm drive comes in handy on occasion but we do 99% of our work with the more compact regular saws.

One point to remember is that worm drive saws generally tilt forward to adjust depth. When you are set shallow for cutting sheet goods, the forward tilt makes your reach more difficult.

Before you buy any saw look at a rear tilt conventional saw and think of yourself reaching across a sheet of plywood.

Here's one example:
    http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=3027

Good luck with your decision
    Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Worm drives are heavier and more powerful than regular circular saws.

I sometimes use a homemade guide for cutting sheet goods, I like a wormdrive saw for this as the motor does not hang over the guide affecting the depth of cut.

g
    We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

W. H. Auden

Worm drive

Hi -

I have one of each. As stated, the worm drive is larger & more powerful. That, in itself, kind of gives you the pros & cons.

When I can use either, I prefer the smaller, lighter "regular" saw. But, when cutting panels along a strait edge in the shop, the heavy, powerful stability of the worm drive is welcome.

If choosing one, I'd get the smallest & lightest I could that would do 90% of what I use it for. Easier to transport, etc. I've seen & used $30 & $40 saws that are great. By comparison, my worm drive was almost $200.
    Daryl

Ashtabula, Ohio in the Snowbelt

I like the worm drive for longer board cuts. It tends to cut straighter, and like the above poster said, the blade is on the left side where it belongs! Easier to see when cutting for me. HD 77 comes to mind. Skill saw.

I went throught this process myself a few years back and I ended up with a WD saw. I was doing a lot of home renovating at the time and wanted the extra power. But the way it lets me split panels quickly and accurately is an unexpected bonus.

As the gentlemen before me said, it is heavier and produces more torque than a sidewinder. As with everything, there are trade offs to be had.

Good luck with your decision!

Fred

I have a Skill Worm ( the heavier one they mis-named with that silly euphemism "professional" that everyone it seems like to mis-use).

I find that it is a very heavy tool. Take weight into consideration. It is however, absolutely unstoppable.

I had a millers falls 10" hand held circular saw before that and I really liked the thing.

I have considered getting another circular saw that is lighter than the Skillsaw for those jobs where I don't need all that torque, power, and weight of the Sklillsaw.

Rob Will Guest
    Has anyone here tried a "rear-tilt" saw - something like the one in my previous post?
    Just wondering because I really like mine..... It has a good feel.

Rob

Many years back when I was shopping for a circular saw, my father said to spend the dough on worm-drive so I picked up a Skil Magnesium one (slightly lighter than the arm-busting one they sell) because he said they will LAST LONGER than a conventional circular saw. I've had mine for 10 years now and it gets good use but check back with me in another 10-20 years to see if what my father claims is true.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Many years back when I was shopping for a circular saw, my father said to spend the dough on worm-drive so I picked up a Skil Magnesium one (slightly lighter than the arm-busting one they sell) because he said they will LAST LONGER than a conventional circular saw. I've had mine for 10 years now and it gets good use but check back with me in another 10-20 years to see if what my father claims is true.
    Your Dad was right. My Skill 77 is 35 years old. I can't even undterstand how anybody uses a sidewinder with the blade on the right side. For light use I have a Milwaukee V28 cordless sidewinder with the blade on the left - where it is supposed to be! And the main reason I like that is that it is so quiet and light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Burns View Post
    I can't even undterstand how anybody uses a sidewinder with the blade on the right side.

99% of my cuts are along a straightedge so I don't need to see the blade. With the blade on the right side of the saw, and the saw on my right side, the sawdust is ejected away from me.

Also, the bulk of the saw foot (and thus the weight of the saw) is on the same piece of material as the straightedge, so I don't need to worry as much about the waste piece at the end of the cut.

I sorely hate to resuscitate such an old thread, but ...

My wife has a 30 yo Skil 77 worm drive that is her favorite circular saw. We're pulling our hair out trying to figure out what kind of lubricating oil goes into it. She says it's much heavier viscosity than a typical machine oil. The internuts has turned out to be useless on this one. Anyone know?

Thanks,

- Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Falis View Post
    I sorely hate to resuscitate such an old thread, but ...

My wife has a 30 yo Skil 77 worm drive that is her favorite circular saw. We're pulling our hair out trying to figure out what kind of lubricating oil goes into it. She says it's much heavier viscosity than a typical machine oil. The internuts has turned out to be useless on this one. Anyone know?

Thanks,

- Ed
    Google search of "skil gear oil" found several sources for Skil brand Wormdrive Gear Oil Model # 80111.
    I would just use a gear oil from any local auto-parts store. Any warty on saw was expired about 29 years ago so why pay for brand name.