Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Worm drive vs. "regular" circular saw

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Many years back when I was shopping for a circular saw, my father said to spend the dough on worm-drive so I picked up a Skil Magnesium one (slightly lighter than the arm-busting one they sell) because he said they will LAST LONGER than a conventional circular saw. I've had mine for 10 years now and it gets good use but check back with me in another 10-20 years to see if what my father claims is true.
    Ok then , so it was 2008 when you posted it .

Quote Originally Posted by kaiwen he View Post
    Ok then , so it was 2008 when you posted it .
    So, I guess you're asking how that tool has held up, since it's been 10 years since he posted?

Blog Entries
    I ran across a Wranglerstar YouTube video today where he compared a Skil Mag22 worm drive corded saw to a Dewalt Flexvolt saw. He ripped, two directions, a 2" doug fir board, probably 10 feet long. The Dewalt beat the Mag22 hands down. Yes, he is sponsored by Dewalt, but coming from a construction background, I give some credence to his opinion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5_x_h4EG-w and a sponsored Dewalt video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnFYvIwkf_A
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I ran across a Wranglerstar YouTube video today where he compared a Skil Mag22 worm drive corded saw to a Dewalt Flexvolt saw. He ripped, two directions, a 2" doug fir board, probably 10 feet long. The Dewalt beat the Mag22 hands down. Yes, he is sponsored by Dewalt, but coming from a construction background, I give some credence to his opinion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5_x_h4EG-w and a sponsored Dewalt video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnFYvIwkf_A
    They are interesting saws, but I don't buy the youtube comparison. The guy is obviously inexperienced at driving a saw. Heck, the newest guy on my crew can cut straighter than that in a day or two of practice. Twisting a saw is what eats power, he's not consistently straight, and that throws the data out in my opinion. Also, is he even pushing them the same? Very similar blades??? Because he says so? Right... Oh, and never mind that in the real world, no one cares how fast you can push a rip with a worm saw, it's about whether you do good work, and this guy obviously can't. Lastly, notice the suspicious dewalt tape measure being prominently displayed, when there is no need for any tape measure in the video, I'm not sure I buy the unsponsored bit he says at the first.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    They are interesting saws, but I don't buy the youtube comparison. The guy is obviously inexperienced at driving a saw. Heck, the newest guy on my crew can cut straighter than that in a day or two of practice. Twisting a saw is what eats power, he's not consistently straight, and that throws the data out in my opinion. Also, is he even pushing them the same? Very similar blades??? Because he says so? Right... Oh, and never mind that in the real world, no one cares how fast you can push a rip with a worm saw, it's about whether you do good work, and this guy obviously can't. Lastly, notice the suspicious dewalt tape measure being prominently displayed, when there is no need for any tape measure in the video, I'm not sure I buy the unsponsored bit he says at the first.
    When Dewalt came out with their first 14.4 volt drill, I bet the naysayers were throwing out the same negative comments. How often do you see a corded drill anymore? Cords are a PITA. Just a manner of time. Not selling Dewalt, I just thought the video was interesting. I'm not running out and buying any 60 volt equipment any time soon.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    When Dewalt came out with their first 14.4 volt drill, I bet the naysayers were throwing out the same negative comments. How often do you see a corded drill anymore? Cords are a PITA. Just a manner of time. Not selling Dewalt, I just thought the video was interesting. I'm not running out and buying any 60 volt equipment any time soon.
    I'm not against a cordless saw, it'd be handy at times. Have you seen the stupid prices on the Flexvolt system stuff though? At my local store none of it appears to be selling. I can buy two super reliable worms for the cost of a bare Flexvolt saw. Heck, it's $1000 to get a few batteries and a saw here. Pretty useless tool if I have to park it between charges, so have to have batteries. That's my only beef with it, it's just priced unrealistically. Well, I guess I also remember that 18 volt trim saw that was just terrible. I'm just a little suspicious of hyped tools.

The obvious answer is that you need both. Duh.

Lol, of course Larry is right!

For circular saws, my favorites are the Porter Cable 347 and 743. I forget which is which, but one is the mirror image left side blade version of the other right bladed one. I also have a right bladed version, with a brake, for cutting rafter tails in place, but I forget the model number of that one. They're lightweight, magnesium 15 amp sidewinders. Typically, they go now for more than they cost when they were new, but I just picked one up off CL, still like new in the case, for 50 bucks, to have just for a backup.

Worm drives are good for framing when you want to hold the board across your instep, so you don't have to bend over so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    For circular saws, my favorites are the Porter Cable 347 and 743. I forget which is which, but one is the mirror image left side blade version of the other right bladed one. I also have a right bladed version, with a brake, for cutting rafter tails in place, but I forget the model number of that one. They're lightweight, magnesium 15 amp sidewinders. Typically, they go now for more than they cost when they were new, but I just picked one up off CL, still like new in the case, for 50 bucks, to have just for a backup.

Worm drives are good for framing when you want to hold the board across your instep, so you don't have to bend over so far.
    I have seven of the old vertical drop foot Porter Cables, so I agree. You have to have at least one with the optional wide table and the Porter Cable saw square. Like a hand held chop saw. And being into timber you have to have a 15 1/4" Makita around...........

I have one of every model of those vertical drop PC's starting with one all aluminum one before they started making double insulated ones. They all still run, but I was always in too big of a hurry to change bearings, when they start to rattle, and just bought the next model. The 347/743 is a pivot foot, but I still like them best.

After probably 35 years, I finally found a blade I can highly recommend to anyone who has one of those Makita 16-5/16" saws. My model of that is also before double insulation, but the Ohlson blade turns it into a pretty cutting thing. I cut the compound angle cuts on the bottoms of these 4x6 legs with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-06-2018 at 4:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I have one of every model of those vertical drop PC's starting with one all aluminum one before they started making double insulated ones. They all still run, but I was always in too big of a hurry to change bearings, when they start to rattle, and just bought the next model. The 347/743 is a pivot foot, but I still like them best.

After probably 35 years, I finally found a blade I can highly recommend to anyone who has one of those Makita 16-5/16" saws. My model of that is also before double insulation, but the Ohlson blade turns it into a pretty cutting thing. I cut the compound angle cuts on the bottoms of these 4x6 legs with it.
    That looks like a big job Tom.

Still going strong and I've never even changed the oil on it!!! Swear to god!! Honestly, though, I don't use it a ton but has served me well thus far. Check back in 2028 to see how it and I am doing!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    This string was eight years old. Why is it back up? Just curious. . . . ………….

Lowell,

I mentioned in the thread to check back in 5-10 years to see how my worm-drive saw is doing and by golly, someone called me on it! The thread is actually 10 years old!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.