Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Worm drive vs. "regular" circular saw

Blog Entries
    I am keeping an eye on my son’s new house build. Stopped by today and I noticed the 4 man framing crew had two DeWalt 60 flex-volt sidewinders. No extension cords, but a generator running (to charge batteries?). Plenty of hoses for the nailers though. Being done with prefabbed wall panels. Two SkyTracks on site for his 2000 sf ranch. I will be helping him finish out the main level after drywall and then finish the walk out basement after he moves in.

While worm drives have more torque and power,
    They are more prone to cutting the operator
    Just pick one up and pull the trigger while it is hanging
    It just wants to turn the blade into your leg or groin

never jamb the guard back
    Carpe Lignum

Blog Entries
    Any self respecting woodworker will have one of each.

have three worm drives black and decker it weighs more than I do. My original; skill saw 35 years weighs about as much as I do and the lighweight Mag one maybe three years old its liight. As I got older I could not hold the medium one extended out in front of me with one hand doing roof repair work. Sometimes I was sitting to give my back a break, the lightweight one was easy to use.

They all twist when you pull the trigger the heaviest has the most torque, medium weight twists in the middle and the lightweight one the least. Years down the road the mag one will die first, the other two wont. this is the same with my Rockwell tools that became porter cable,. exact copy but lighter so its not the same.

Blog Entries
    So I talked to the framing company owner yesterday, he has 50 carpenters working for him. He spent over $10,000 on DeWalt 60 volt tools, including a ton of extra batteries. Batteries last half a day and he charges them at home in the evening. He has one old timer that insists on dragging a cord around. Everyone else likes the new tools. Personally, he doesn't like using worm drive saws, "too heavy". He said the 60 volt sidewinders will cut a stack of plywood faster than a corded saw.
    NOW you tell me...