Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jewelry Box completed! (PICS)

Smile Jewelry Box completed! (PICS)

I started this box over 6 years ago! Yes, I'm slow, but not that slow! This was truly a lesson in woodworking. It has been moved three times and worked on in three different shops. I put it away the first time after I took out a big gouge trying to cut off the lid on the tablesaw. (Didn't have the bandsaw). Later I cut down the lid and put in a patch. So far no one that has seen it has noticed. Banged an edge very badly during a move, hence the maple banding around the top. Too much glue squeeze out on the inside...therefore the inside molding. Sanded thru the veneer top, so repaired it with acrylic paint. I haven't used thin veneer since, though want to try to make some 1/8 in the shop.
    All in all it turned out pretty good. (Be gentle, its my first project post!!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stutz
    (Be gentle, its my first project post!!)
    Gentle? Mark, that's a great project. I like the bird's eye and the use of figured maple as accent. It makes for a nice touch. The wood selection works great here. Way to go!

Well Mark.....you may be slow....but you sure did make one very NICE jewelry box.!!!! Very well done..!!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Hey Mark....

I forgot to ask.....is the top covered with thin veneer? If so, how did you to the nice clean cuts to get the veneer inlayed?
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Mark, 'Be gentle' You have got to be kidding. You don't need to make any excuses, that's a beautiful box.

However, you should receive 6 lashes. You've set a precedent that we need to come clean (list the mistakes) on each project posting. I, for one, won't be doing that. I'd put you all to sleep reading such long posts.

Mark,
    Great job! A lot of different skills are demonstrated in this project and you have them!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Dennis,
    Thanks for thie kind words. The walnut is veneer, but the birdseye maple was thin stock, about 3/16. I used a template with a brass bushing set and carbide spiral bit. It is a template routing set with a dual bushing to rout out the field and the inlay with the same template. The removable part of the bushing compensates for the diameter of the bit. Only minimal sanding is needed.

Very nice jewelry box, Mark! I know what you mean about a multi-year jewelry box project surviving multiple moves. I had the same situation, but wasn't as persistent as you. After the second set of moving damage, my cherry box went into my smoker and gave a nice flavor to some baby back ribs, so it wasn't a total loss.

_VERY_ nice Mark!

Mark -- That's one beautiful box. The late Bob Ross (Landscape painter who used to be on Public TV) use to say "there are no mistakes -- just happy accidents". Your series of "Happy Accidents" created details you wouldn't have otherwise added, creating quite a nice finished product.

Anyway, 6 yrs isn't bad! As I tell LOML, you can't rush into things without careful planning; Then I tell her I've got to find the 'right' materials; then I tell her you can't rush the process; then I tell her .......
    Tony

Mark

Are you kidding? Thats a great looking box! Chasing mistakes can make for some of the neatest innovative designs. DAMHIKT Well done, it was worth the wait.

Terry

Mark, that's outstanding!
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Nice contrast in woods. Nicely done...
    Waymon...
    ...My heroes are not athletes, entertainers or politicians;
    ALL my heroes wear US Armed Forces uniforms...

It looks great to me. Did it start out as a birthday or Christmas present?

KC

Mark,

I see absolutely nothing to beat you up about. The box looks great, you should be proud of the good work you did on it.

Remember those aren't mistakes just opportunities to better your skills and knowledge. A man once told me that not making mistakes doesn't measure a man - what measures a man is how well he can recover from a mistake. You measure up there with the best of them - Can't see a single flaw in your box - without your description - I'd swear you never made a single mistake in building it, you are a great recoverer and therefore a great man!

Great Job and keep on learning more techniques through trial and error, our Best teacher.

Post more of your projects when you get them done, this one loks great and I'm sure there are others that look great as well.
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt