Thread: Silly Dust Collection question

Blog Entries

Silly Dust Collection question

I am starting to get serious about designing and installing a dust collection system in my new shop. I have a question about how to collect dust from power hand tools like routers and circular saws. I have found that unless something is fairly hastle free I tend to slack off on the details. Any way, I figure I can setup pretty good dust collection at the table saw, jointer, planer, stationary tools, but the smaller ones have me puzzled. The hand held router would seem to pose a challenge to hastle free dust collection as well as the cicular saw.
    Are there good ways to deal with these type tools?

Thanks,
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Connecting smaller tools to a DC system is problematic. The small hose required won't allow air flow for the DC to move the dust. I made adapters for my smaller tools that connect to my shop vac. My vac has a feature that allows it to be turned on when I start the tool. Go out to my site at this address to see some of them in use.

www.wooddreams.net/festool_vac.htm
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Larry,

They can be challenging for many reasons:

Do you want to use your DC or a shop vac?

The DC, while potentially better, has limitations in location. You need to have outlets located appropriately. Then, the next quandry is how to hook from your 4-6" outlet to the puny 1-2" outlet on the tool...assuming it has one! Next, how stiff is the hose...can you still move your tool around?

It seems that only the newer tools even have ways to hook some sort of dust extractor to them. A lot of the European brands (Bosch, Festool...) have been designed from the start to include chip collection...a real bonus. This something seriously lacking in American and some Japanese designs. Only until we the public demand it will the manufactures spend design dollars bringing it in.

My old PC690-series router has an attachment that works quite well when hooked to a shop vac. It isn't the easiest or simplest to hook up and I ususally don't use it unless I am routing MDF.

To retrofit tools designed with no dust collection in mind takes some time, ingenuity, and craftsmanship and not too mention several trials!

Some like to use a sanding table...one that has many holes with the DC attachment. This is certainly limiting.

Recently, I bought a Festool CT-11e vacuum (shop vac) and their 150/5 ROS. The sander's control of the sawdust is superb to put it mildly. There is hardly a trace left. I hear the same is true of their circular/plunge saw, too. These tools were designed with DC in mind, however, and they are pricey.

I also have a Skill 77 Mag worm-drive saw. It makes a real mess. It would take some doing to get that cleaned up.

Looking back, I guess I didn't really answer any of your questions. I bet a company could be born that did nothing but designed DC into existing hand tools...hmmm.....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    I really don't mind using a broom, but that doesn't address the fine airborne dust that would be created. So maybe having an air cleaner in addition to the dust collector is a good idea. Someone told me that I might not need the air cleaner if I installed a really good dust collection system. Since I use use my power hand tools quite a bit this statement appears to be not correct for me. I would think that attaching a DC hose to something like a circular saw would really be a problem even it it sucked every bit of saw dust. Seems like it would hangup on stuff and be a problem setting it down etc... even on those fancy smancy european models.

Larry
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Thumbs up

Larry,
    I took advantage of all the hand tools I have with a dust port or catcher and I've made an adapter of some sort for my good old loud Craftsman shop vac. I have duct plumbed into the work table for such events.
    Before the jet 1500 air cleaner I used a 20x20 window fan with a furnace filter at the intake to strain out the big chunks and still use it on sight or for a localized project that's going to kick up some dust. Through these pages I've seen a number of scoops, ports and hoods both fabbed and store bought that look pretty interesting. A down draft table may be in your future. I think it is Terry H that has a really slick one (What doesn't Terry have that is slick)
    DC sucks!
    Good Luck
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 02-27-2004 at 3:25 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    Larry,
    I took advantage of all the hand tools I have with a dust port or catcher and I've made an adapter of some sort for my good old loud Craftsman shop vac. I have duct plumbed into the work table for such events.
    Before the jet 1500 air cleaner I used a 20x20 window fan with a furnace filter at the intake to strain out the big chunks and still use it on sight or for a localized project that's going to kick up some dust. Through these pages I've seen a number of scoops, ports and hoods both fabbed and store bought that look pretty interesting. A down draft table may be in your future. I think it is Terry H that has a really slick one (What doesn't Terry have that is slick)
    DC sucks!
    Good Luck
    Tyler,
    I'm going to visit Terry's shop as soon as I can find a Saturday that works for both of us. I am going to take my camera and note pad with me to capture some great ideas while I'm there.
    Do you have problems with the hose getting in the way on the small tools?

Larry

Quote: (What doesn't Terry have that is slick)

I'll bet Terry doesn't have lots of slick stuff. But I'd have to say that the stuff he does have is all pretty slick
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 02-27-2004 at 5:29 PM.
    Larry J Browning

If you choose to try to connect tools to either a DC or vacuum to a tool, go to your friendly vacuum cleaner repair center and look at the hoses. They carry some antistatic ones that are really soft and flexible. They don't answer the whole difficulty of adding a hose, but it really helps to not have more resistance than necessary when moving around the tools.

Also, remember that an air cleaner does not protect your lungs that much. It still takes quite a while to clean the air and you are acting as an air cleaner at the same time. And if set up wrong location wise it can redirect dust into your location. In other words, it can be worse on you than not having it. If the location is right, the help is marginal. An air cleaner helps keep the shop more dust free but mostly after you quit adding dust. And yes, I run my air cleaner all the time I am working. I do have a DC also. They really have separate jobs.

David

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    [QUOTE=Larry Browning]Tyler,
    Do you have problems with the hose getting in the way on the small tools?
    Larry
    I just string one of two hoses over head and gotten use to it. With kids, allergies and sensitive myself to all kinds of antigens, I've always tried to use a catcher or VAC of some sort. Just got use to it. I've jury rigged more bungies, pullies and cable raceways to keep the power cord and DC hose out of the way than you can shake a stick at. Haven't found the perfect one yet.

TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/