Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Socket Set?

Wow, I had no idea that so many more of you would voice an opinion since I last checked in yesterday afternoon. Thanks.

Let me clear up a few things. I would like to buy a good quality set of socket for my son (3 years old). I guess I thought you all should know that, sorry. I realize that he is far too young to use them now. I have started buying him tools, good quality tools, for his birthday so that by the time he's 18 or so he'll have a good head start. I don't want to buy just the cheapest things on the market just because he very young and won't know the difference. I want to teach him the difference between buying good tools and settling for cheap tools. I just like to get the most bang for my buck.
    Last edited by Keel McDonald; 01-11-2008 at 8:19 AM.
    Keel McDonald ><>

I seemed to have missed the 3 year old part too.

Buy him the cheap stuff from HD and make sure there's no sharp edges, at three I doubt he'd know the difference, then save the extra you would have spent for better tools later in his life.

Less of course he's a child prodigy and rebuilds Hemi's on the side...

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Wow. Usually when I see a thread this long it's about dust collection, Festool, Sawstop, EZ, safety, forum contributions or politics. Alas, you guys have spent days talking about...

Socket Sets.

Amazing.

"If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably a wise investment."

Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits View Post
    I seemed to have missed the 3 year old part too.

Buy him the cheap stuff from HD and make sure there's no sharp edges, at three I doubt he'd know the difference, then save the extra you would have spent for better tools later in his life.

Less of course he's a child prodigy and rebuilds Hemi's on the side...

Al
    No thanks. I'll stick to well-made tools, as I stated in my last post. These tools are for later in his life.
    Keel McDonald ><>

Just thinking at that younger age how many might get lost before he gets older?

Al...who still loses tools at 60 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Keel McDonald View Post
    I have started buying him tools, good quality tools, for his birthday so that by the time he's 18 or so he'll have a good head start.
    Now, I've heard people start saving for a college education... You gotta be a great dad!

Allen makes decent sockets in the USA and they are available at 'nards (Menards). I had a gazillion piece set of them at my last employer and they held up nicely. I think we purchased the big set from Grainger.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Nemeth View Post
    Now, I've heard people start saving for a college education... You gotta be a great dad!
    Well, it's not that he won't get all my tools when I die, but I'd like to think that won't be for several more decades. My dad started doing that for me when I turned 16. I just thought it would be nice when he is out on his own to have some tools to fix, repair, build, etc. Keep in mind, I don't plan on stockpiling him with large power tools, but certainly with most of the hand tools anyone might commonly need.
    Keel McDonald ><>

three?

Start him out with playskool, then move him up to craftsman in a few year.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mutus View Post
    three?

Start him out with playskool, then move him up to craftsman in a few year.
    No thanks. He has plenty of toys.
    Keel McDonald ><>

So the Bridgeport vertical mill isn't part of the starter set????

On a serious note, kudo's for getting involved, unfortunately many parents don't

Al

FYI, I have a few Kobalt tools from Lowe's and they're OK. I actually did buy a Kobalt breaker bar and... It broke. Lowe's exchanged it with no questions asked.

All my other hand tools are Craftsman. As a home user, it's just too darned difficult and expensive to deal with Snap-On and similar dealers.

Fun Fact: Many K-Mart stores are now featuring a Sears tool store which makes going with Craftsman even more convenient. No more schlepping to the mall! (K-Mart now owns Sears. No, it's not the other way around.)

Note to elitist Snap-On dealers: If you got off your high-horse and started serving homeowners like the Schwann guy, you'd make more money!

So basically, you are starting a hope chest. Only his has drawers with ball-bearing slides?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    BTW, Matt, if you're going to put a breaker bar on a socket, try a 1/2" or even a 3/4" drive--a little more meat. Even better is to use an impact wrench--the sockets are softer and less likely to split (though I have stretched a couple).
    I do only use it for 1/2" drive stuff mostly. I have broken a 3/8-1/2" adapter once or twice though. Also use my 1/2" impact when I can. Unfortunately it doesn't run well of my portable compressor which is in the attached garage where I do most of my work on the cars.

What's worse is that my breaker bar (an ancient garage sale find my dad gave me) has a hole in the handle end that takes a 1/2" extension for extra leverage. I have a good foot of them
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 01-11-2008 at 7:13 PM.

Please tell me he won't have access to these sockets for a few years. I'd hate to see a thread with a picture of one of the sockets planted on/in your forehead!! At least he's past the terrible 2's. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 01-11-2008 at 4:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.