Thread: LV Twin screw installation - final step help

LV Twin screw installation - final step help

I have installed my twin screw and have only to plane the top of the jaws down to level with the bench top.

My question is; how do I set the jaws?
    I am wondering how to deal with the taper on the inside face of the front jaw.

Should I just tighten up the jaws so the top edges meet, just slight pressure and then plane them level with the top.

OR

Should I tighten the jaws up tight so as to pull the bottom of the tapper in. Ie. similar to having a deep board in the vice and allowing the taper to close up the whole depth (or most of it).

The first way will mean when I tighten the vice the top of the jaw will be angled slightly. The second way will mean that when the jaws have no pressure on them the top of the front jaw will be angled slightly.

Thanks for any help.

Robert

If you don't get any answers here, call LV...they have terrific CS.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Tight

Robert,

When I did mine I closed the vise jaws as tight as if i was working on a piece of wood, which is pretty tight. Also, you may move the front jaw around if you dont close it tight enough.

Andy

Hi Robert,

Congratulations!!

I did the same thing Andy did. However, I don't think it matters which way you do it.

What does matter is that you want the dog that is placed in the rear vise jaw to be canted a couple of degrees 'inward' when the vise is under load at the top, simulating a board being held between dogs for face planing. To keep it simple, I would suggest that the dog hole be drilled plumb, rather than trying to do something fancy (which is difficult to do). But then put a good 5-degree rake on the faces of your dogs. If you use LV brass dogs, they come this way, but of course you can make your own to do the same.

Congratulations!

Wiley

Thanks for the input. I also contact LV and they said to "tighten the vice close but not overly tighten".

Will ponder on all the advice and do something this weekend if I can get some time.

Ummm...Dog holes in jaws. I was going to put some dog holes in the front jaw and was then just thinking to use them with the dog holes in the bench. They will be in-line. So should I put some on the rear jaw rather than the bench?

I haven't used a bench with a proper vice and dog holes so not sure the best way to go.

How much of a taper will the top of the vise jaw have if the vise is not tightened fully? And if you decide you dont like the taper, you can always tighten the vise, plane again, and remove the taper, right?

Dog holes go in the movable vise jaw, not the fixed jaw.

Robert,

I misspoke about the vise jaw--I meant 'front vise jaw', as Tim points out above. Rest of the comment stands, though.

Wiley