Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Bed Lumber Hauler

Rob Will Guest

Long Bed Lumber Hauler

Lumber Haulers: Has anyone had problems finding a new pickup with an 8' bed?

I think FORD has dropped the ball by only offering well equipped 8' bed pickups in 3/4 ton and up. I do not want to drive a heavy truck all the time.
    In my 1/2 ton pickup, I want things like captain's chairs AND an 8' bed. I haul small loads of plywood and lumber all the time.

6-1/2' truck beds = %&@#*%$&##*%^&&#$@#.

Your thoughts?

Rob

Rob,

Looks like you'll need to get a Toyota.

I've been looking at trucks lately, and I can't find the long bed anywhere else either. Although it looks like the Silverado will be coming out in the fall with a Hybrid.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Ford truck bed

Hey Rob I usually let the tail gate down -and carry it home

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CW McClellan View Post
    Hey Rob I usually let the tail gate down -and carry it home
    I hear you but I often haul 12' - 16' 2x4's and 2x6's with my 8' bed pickup.

With the 8' bed - equipped with an aluminum cross box - I can still drive a 4-wheeler up in the bed and close the tailgate. Long lumber goes up under the toolbox.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Brickey View Post
    Rob,

Looks like you'll need to get a Toyota.
    I recently moved to Colorado from California. Thankfully my company paid for the move; but the moovers wouldn't move my ammo, powder or primers. We left that stuff there and then rented a Toyata Tundra long bed to go retrieve it and visit. I came back driving 10 mph under the speed limit because I was afraid to go any faster. The Japanse trucks do not have the suspension, brakes or tires to carry real weight. I spent 15 years in the auto business and took a lot of import trucks in trade because they wouldn't do, in the real world, what the specs and the salesman said they would do. If you want to cary real weight, and even overload the heck out of it, get a domestic.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-11-2008 at 5:38 PM. Reason: language

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Will View Post
    I hear you but I often haul 12' - 16' 2x4's and 2x6's with my 8' bed pickup.

With the 8' bed - equipped with an aluminum cross box - I can still drive a 4-wheeler up in the bed and close the tailgate. Long lumber goes up under the toolbox.

Rob
    Rob.

An alternate solution is to purchase a trailer. For the premiun that Ford and Chevy are asking for a longbed,and all the "package nonsense" that accompanies it. You are close to buying a hydraulic tilt trailer. Once you load and off load lumber from one of these. You'll never want to use a truck again.

As for hauling capacities that Chuck refered to.
    The Tundra is on par with the lowest powered V8 F-250, without the specialized factory towing package. It is a very capable vehicle, just as cabable as the comparable F-250. I don't know why Chuck had the problem he did) But the F-250 really is the bottom end of towing vehicles for anything serious. ( I haul horses. Lots of live moving, shifting weight )

Just get a regular cab pickup truck and lose the extended cab.
    It's a biiiig mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize that you are in a hurry.

I like my extended cab short bed. I have one of these for hauling long loads. Adjusts for width and height. You can rotate the cross bars to lay down the vertical supports too, Works great for lumber and ladders, and I don't have to drive a battleship around the rest of the time. It comes apart at the horizontal/vertical transition with a pin, and I have a lockable cover on the bed, so I just leave it in the truck all the time.

Last edited by Stan Welborn; 01-11-2008 at 7:03 AM.

I have a '99 F150, ext cab, long bed and love it. The one biggie problem is the turning radius and using it for normal daily use in parking lots etc.

I got a bug up my ...nose... a while back and put a 'For Sale' sign on it and for three months had no takers. I still use it daily but not as often for long loads so I thought I would trade down for a smaller bed truck.

George
    2B1ASK1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Welborn View Post
    I like my extended cab short bed. I have one of these for hauling long loads. Adjusts for width and height. You can rotate the cross bars to lay down the vertical supports too, Works great for lumber and ladders, and I don't have to drive a battleship around the rest of the time. It comes apart at the horizontal/vertical transition with a pin, and I have a lockable cover on the bed, so I just leave it in the truck all the time.

Now there is a good idea !

Quote Originally Posted by George Summers View Post
    I have a '99 F150, ext cab, long bed and love it. The one biggie problem is the turning radius and using it for normal daily use in parking lots etc.

I got a bug up my ...nose... a while back and put a 'For Sale' sign on it and for three months had no takers. I still use it daily but not as often for long loads so I thought I would trade down for a smaller bed truck.

George
    i hear ya bout the turnin radius. I back into 99% of my parking spaces. but other than that, i like my F150

That definitely would help and make having a regular 6' bed easier to deal with.

What is this called and where can they be acquired?

Rob,

I am by far not an auto expert. That being said...
    vehicle availability options seem to be a regional thing. When I lived on the east coast, the choice in truck models was near pathetic. When I moved to Arkansas, the choice is somewhat better. In my homeland of Texas, even to this day, the choices in pickups are plentiful.

Over the Christmas holidays, I was looking at pickups at Varsity ford in Bryan, Texas, and there are plenty of F150's with 8' beds. And the same was found at the Chevy place. I noticed on the drive home that every lot I passed had plenty of 8-footers and cab & chassis pickups.

All of this to say, I think it is a very regional approach to marketing and distribution.

Why not ask your dealer if he can find you an F150 with an 8' bed and a few of the options you were asking for? He could probably get it for you from a dealer that has what you are looking for.

Regards.

Irv

They are called bed extenders, and Harbor Freight sells a pretty nice one that is on sale for $20 right now. Probably cheaper than the steel to make one. I have the HF one and it seems well made--I've heard from others who agree. If you go to the store, be sure to print the online price as they will match it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39168