Thread: Tablesaw Suggestions

Tablesaw Suggestions

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for upgraded table saw. I currently have a Dewalt 744s, which is well worn, and on its way out. I am looking to start with some fine (hardwood) woodworking--a bed, new desk, more detailed work.

I am conflicted on whether to go with a contractor type saw or a hybrid. I just finished building my shop (with my trusty 744s) 12X16' so room is an issue. I also only have $900 to spend. 220v is not an option, but I would like something that has power. Suggestions?

Since 220v isn't available, I'd go hybrid. The contractor saw design offers no advantages, but the hybrid offers many of the advantages of a cabinet saw, which is smaller footprint, better dust collection, more efficient drive system, and often more mass and stability.

- The new Jet ProShop (708480 or 708482k) are looking pretty impressive to me...very nicely thought out design, and priced in the $600-$700 range. They also have a more entry level 708100 for $400-$500. Both feature a one-piece cast blade shroud as part of the carriage.

- The new Craftmsan 22114/22124 and Steel City 35601/35606/35610/35670 offer similar hybrids with the benefit of cabinet mounted trunnions. Orion is owned by Steel City and makes both saws. They have an excellent track record and a large following that includes me. They range in price on sale from ~ $550 to > $1k.

- General International 50-220, Sunhill Machinery, and Woodtek basically offer the same hybrid design in different colors and accessories. All have a one piece cast blade shroud similar to the Jet and Grizzly, but these features a dual drive stage system said to increase torque (can't comment on that, but the saws are well made).
    Last edited by scott spencer; 01-11-2008 at 1:18 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have the Bosch 4000 portable. Very accurate fence. If you use a thin kerf blade like the frued 24 tooth it will rip thick stock pretty well.

Even though 220 insn't a option for you now, someday you may wish the saw had the option. I would look for something you can run on both voltages, 110 or 220. Factors in how well your 110 circuit is going work that you have now going to your shop are, what size breaker, how far your shop is from the main panel and what size wire you used, and how many other things will be run off that circuit at the same time. A dedicated circuit just for the tablesaw or any other high amp draw machine is the way to go if you can, even if it's 110.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 01-11-2008 at 2:13 PM.

I recently purchased the Steelcity 35670 and love it. Assembly was easy, albeit, tedious (4 hours) and all components were within manufacturer tolerances.

I have seen the guts of both the Craftsman 22124 and the Steelcity 35670 and they are identical to my untrained eye. Both have Orion casting marks on the trunions. I would have been happy with either one but bought the SC because of availability and price. The Craftsman has the Biesmeyer fence while the SC 35670 has their "Industrial" fence (although the fence itself is labeled "Deluxe Fence"). The 2 are almost identical.

For the price you can't go wrong with either saw.

Best of luck!

Tim, it's not hard for me to recommend the hybrid route over the traditional contractors' style saw. Functionally, they are similar, but the physical format of the hybrids is much better, IMHO, for most shops...internal motor, better dust collection "native" and so forth. A few of them even have the trunnions mounted to the cabinet like a full cabinet saw which has some benefit when it comes to alignment. As far as I know, all of them are 120v 20 amp friendly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...